Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

staining kitchen cabinets...please help

I have oak kitchen cabinets. I have sanding them all down to bare wood. I started staining them with winwax wood finish stain (not gel). I applied the first and second coat (I am staining them a dark color) and was not happy with seeing all of the grain of the oak (reminded me of the 70's look of wood). so I put on a third coat, and applied it a little to thick. Now it's not drying completely and is sticky. It's been a few days since the third coat of stain.

I am not sure what to do next. I don't like the painted look and love the way the cabinets look now, if only they would dry.

I was thinking that I may need to lightly sand the "sticky" coat off and try again, applying lighter coats and letting them dry for at least 24 hours between coats. But, I am not sure if that will work. Is there a limit to the number of stain coats you can apply to oak wood?

Anyone have any suggestions?

angela1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You are trying to rush things you cannot rush. Give it all time to really dry, sand again if needed and see what you have. It may take its own sweet time. Ignore the manufacturer's printed-on-the-can suggestions.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #3

How long would you wait for it all to dry before resanding? A week? Two Weeks?
Old 11-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
RDS

Rewards Points: 150

I'm far from an expert -- all I know is, my wife did the same thing when refinishing a cabinet using Minwax stain. She wanted it really dark and decided not to wipe off the excess after applying. It took more than a week -- closer to two, as I recall -- but it did eventually dry and looks good now. Not how I would do it, but then I'm one of those directions-followers. In any case, I don't think sanding the sticky surface would work well -- I'd suggest just leaving it (since you like how it looks) and hoping it eventually dries.
RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #5

Thank you. I am happy to know that I am not the only one who did this. And glad to know that your cabinet turned out ok.
Thank you again!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela1404 View Post
How long would you wait for it all to dry before resanding? A week? Two Weeks?
The carriers in the chemistry for the stain have to evaporate and the resins with the color of the stain need to cure so you know what you have to deal with. Just give them time. You did stir the stain?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kitchen cabinets, paint, stain, staining oak