Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #1

Share |

Staining front door

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice. I bought my first home about a year ago and have been avoiding this project. I'll post some pictures to help you understand, but basically I need to re-stain my front door. There is some weather damage that I need some advice on how to repair (I have added a storm door now so it shouldn't be an issue going forward). Do I just sand the damaged area? What grit? I have the stain that they used, its over a year old so I'm thinking I just need to go buy a fresh can. The first pic will be the full shot, second zoomed on the damage, and the third shows the original stain color vs the faded door. Thanks everyone for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Staining front door-img_0278.jpg   Staining front door-img_0279.jpg   Staining front door-img_0280.jpg  

FPMCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #2

Staining front door

Looks like moisture damage to me. The water has soaked well into the wood. You could try to sand it to see how deeply the damage goes, but, in my experience, it's very hard to bring that kind of damage back to life after a sanding/re-staining. Luckily for you it appears to be at the bottom of the door & won't be nearly as noticeable. I'd try the sanding/restaining bit first.......but, if it doesn't turn out, you may have to paint the door.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
handpaintedbysteve.com

Staining front door

Hey FPMCK,

You’ve got a beautiful mahogany door there and the only way you’ll ever get back to the beauty it once had is to strip it down to bare wood to establish a clean new surface to be stained uniformly. You can try sanding the door, but in my opinion it would be a waste of time. The last picture shows what the door looked like when it was new. Outside that perimeter border the finish has degraded and at the bottom the finish is destroyed. Save your time, remove the kick plate and do it right....strip it.

Not knowing what part of the country you live in, installing a storm door may do more damage than good. The heat build up between the storm door and your wood door could be potentially devastating to the finish. The winter months believe it or not are the worst. Waterborne exterior spar varnishes are the newest and most promising solution to your problem. Do a search for “General Finishes” , you’ll find they have an exterior waterborne spar varnish with UV protectors. Valspar also makes their own product called #250031 Varathane Water-Based Exterior/Diamond Spar Varnish.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #4

Staining front door

spraygunn

Since you do mostly exterior doors, How well do these water products work outdoor? With new VOC regulations and people who are use to oil products makes it harder.
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
handpaintedbysteve.com

Staining front door

Hey Steve,
I have to be honest, I haven't really gotten into the waterborne products yet, although the concept is promising. I am going to start using it this summer. I have used McCloskey exterior marine spar and although it is a great product I have had some failures. I know one thing, the waterborne spar varnishes are not cheap, but are the way of the future. Valspar Diamond recommends four coats where as McCloskey oil base says two to three.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote