Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
uva uvam videndo variafit

Share |

Staining Elevated Siding

I was thinking about cleaning and staining my siding this weekend. The only issue that I have is access to the siding that runs up to the high roof. In the attached pic, you can see this siding near the front door. The eave elevations are 10' and 20'. I can get up on the low roof and set toe boards, but it's still quite a reach and I don't want to rent a lift or build scaffolding. Would a brush taped to a broom stick work or do you think the coating would be too uneven? What about a foam roller running up and down - would the lip on the siding get any coverage?

If it makes a difference, the siding is cypress and I'm planing on using a light-medium stain. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Staining Elevated Siding-img_0032-large-.jpg  

WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
handpaintedbysteve.com

Staining Elevated Siding

Hey Wireless,

With all due respect to your initiative and ambition this board is mainly for those who have simple questions regarding ground level and below questions. I mean simple do-it yourself projects. You have a 12/12 pitch roof that’s a 45 degree angle roof. This is difficult enough for the professional painter and in my opinion not a project for a homeowner. I fell off a 12/12 roof and I’m here to tell you it’s a scary experience, and I refuse to go up on another one to this day.

You’re looking for advice regarding your project, please take some good advise and leave that project to the professionals. Your wife will thank you next year.

Think about it.

Steve
www.handpaintedbysteve.com

spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:25 AM   #3

Staining Elevated Siding

Even a paint brush secured in a proper extension will be too hard to control up against the soffit. It will drip, the coverage will be poor and on top of that, it will take you forever. You have to get up close to the siding and apply the stain by brush. I would set up a 32 foot ladder at the corner using a corner stand-off (http://shop.gutterworks.com/product....t=5&bestseller) and spread the stain over to the left as far as you safely can. Next, take the ladder and position it in such a way that you can lay it on the roof next to your siding so that it will clear the gutter and also have solid footing on the ground. From there you should be able to reach the remaining siding. I have done this or something very similar many times, and it's not difficult providing you understand ladder safety, follow load limits, and are comfortable with heights. If no to any of those, might be a good job for a pro.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #4

Staining Elevated Siding

Well, I think both of you have told me what I need to know. I'll either rent a boom lift and do it myself or I'll try to find a painter that is willing to do it. Thanks guys.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #5

Staining Elevated Siding

If it were me, I would lay a ladder flat on the roof with the feet dug into the ground. Then I would back my truck up to it. Do everything you can reach and then put the ladder on the side either on that railing if it is strong enough or right on the roof edge and you should be able to reach the rest.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Mod

Staining Elevated Siding

Rent the lift, way more fun than hiring a painter.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #7

Staining Elevated Siding

I was going to put this off until spring, but I may be forced to do something about it sooner. Do you think there would be any issue with doing so this month? The average temp in my are in Dec is 58/37.