Staining Cedar Fence Question - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Staining Cedar Fence Question

We're putting up a cedar fence, will be staining it, then sealing it with marine varnish.

We have a specific color that we use for our inside trim. I've also used it on our mailbox. However, I wanted to get some input before putting it on our fence.

The stain we use is Varathane interior oil based stain in gunstock.

I understand oil based is the way to go with cedar, however, this is an interior stain. Does this matter if we're going to poly over it in a marine varnish anyway? I've done a test piece of cedar, and the look is exactly what we're going for (the stain color + poly on top which gives it a nice "glossy" look).

Additionally, the plan was to build the fence, put a first coat of stain on, wait 24 hours, then put another coat of stain on, wait 24 - 48 hours, and finish with 2 coats of poly, again waiting 24 hours in between coats. Does this sound right? We'd like to apply the stain/poly right away because we don't want the cedar changing color / greying at all before the stain goes on.

Cliff notes:

Can we use an interior stain on exterior cedar fencing since we're going to poly over it with marine varnish?

Can we put the stain and varnish on right after the fence is built, or do we have to wait?

Any help is much appreciated!!

Advertisement

PolishPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 572

Need exterior stain for the UV protection, and forget using poly on it. Very bad idea!
Even if you used the best marine grade sealer at some point it's going to fail. And when it does it's going to all have to be sanded off, and touch up the stain before it can be resealed.
Have you priced what a gal. of marine grade varnish or poly will be?
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50263

Despite the name Helmsman Marine Spar will not hold up more then a few years if your lucky if that's what your thinking about using.

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #3

Thanks for the response.

We were thinking of re-applying the marine varnish every year or two. The fence isn't too large, and we have no problem taking care of our wood to ensure it looks good for a long time.

The only thing from stopping me from using an exterior stain is that we already use this interior stain on other items and want to keep the same look, as well as we use a poly to get that "glossy" look over the trim. Gives it some rich depth, and the cedar test piece I stained looks great. If we could use that same combo as the interior trim, that would be ideal.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Like Joe said, Marine varnish, or Spar just doesn't do well. Yes, it's rated for exterior but any pro will tell you that UV rays will destroy it in short order.. Like 6 months..

Also using an interior stain outside is a bad idea. I had a lady insist on putting minwax on her wooden garage door because she wanted it to match the int trim.. So I did it and top coated with Spar just like your talking about doing..6 months later it had failed miserably. I stripped it and refinished it with Sikkens and it still looks good 4 yrs later..

I understand your willingness to maintain this fence, and your desire for that certain look, but Please do yourself a big favor and change the game plan.. Even with maintaince, nothing good will come from int stain and spar varnish on a fence..

If you can't find any other options that suit you, at least change the marine varnish to Sikkens Door and Window clear. It does way better than the varnish..

Last edited by Jmayspaint; 09-11-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
joecaption (09-11-2013), PolishPete (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Like Joe said, Marine varnish, or Spar just doesn't do well. Yes, it's rated for exterior but any pro will tell you that UV rays will destroy it in short order.. Like 6 months..

Also using an interior stain outside is a bad idea. I had a lady insist on putting minwax on her wooden garage door because she wanted it to match the int trim.. So I did it and top coated with Spar just like your talking about doing..6 months later it had failed miserably. I stripped it and refinished it with Sikkens and it still looks good 4 yrs later..

I understand your willingness to maintain this fence, and your desire for that certain look, but Please do yourself a big favor and change the game plan.. Even with maintaince, nothing good will come from int stain and spar varnish on a fence..

If you can't find any other options that suit you, at least change the marine varnish to Sikkens Door and Window clear. It does way better than the varnish..
Thanks for the tips. That's exactly the first hand knowledge/experience I was looking for. Much appreciated.