Staining Cedar Decks - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Staining Cedar Decks

I need to refinish my deck which is made of cedar and it no longer takes and type of stain/treatment resulting in having to strip it. It was originally stained with Olympic Maximum (which I believe is oil-based) but now the high traffic areas are all worn gray. We are in NJ & use our deck 8-10 months a year so I need a GOOD stain that will last.

I want to do this asap but I also want to use the best product available. I am being told many different things about different products and want to know who has experience with Sikkens, Cabot, Superdeck, DEFY, Messmer's or Penofin. I know the later three are western US based products but will purchase these things over the 'net if they're worth it. Neighbors have suggested the 1st three as they are available locally to me.

Speaking with agents on the phone after reading about the products on the 'net I'm just as confused as ever. Especially after reading one report that claims Consumer Reports state that Flood's SWF or CWF is the best product to use & that's a product I can get @ Home Depot! That scares me almost as much as using Thompson's or Behr.

Anyone out there that can help???

Advertisement

mrbaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Staining Cedar Decks

The responses you will receive I hope should help you decide what to do.

That being said, all the products you mentioned are good products. My concern is this, does your deck have color conitnuity. Because if after stripping there are dark and light spots from the previous coating some of the mentioned products will not have a good result. Penofin, Defy, Sikkens SRD, Messmers, SuperDeck, are mostly transparent stains with some having a semi-transparent lines. These will show any color imperfections that exist on your deck. Cabot's deck stain, green label, is a semi-solid. All these mentioned products are very good and would be acceptable to finish a deck. If there are imperfections you may want to consider a solid deck stain like Sikkens Rubbol, either the Rubbol Dek which is their oil finish or their Rubbol Solid Dek which is an acrylic/oil hybrid product.

Make sure, after you strip the deck, that you hose the deck down just to see if any water beads up. This will may show that some of the existing finish is still on the wood and if stained over you may get some peeling because the new product will not be able to penetrate properly.

Advertisement

BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
100 Year Family Tradition

Staining Cedar Decks

Dont forget to pH balance the stripper after-wards or the new coating will be stripped off by the active stripper left behind...
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Staining Cedar Decks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ThGeneration View Post
Dont forget to pH balance the stripper after-wards or the new coating will be stripped off by the active stripper left behind...

Depends on what stripper you use, Gemini Safe Strip (my preffered stripper ) has no need to be neutralized and works great.
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #5

Staining Cedar Decks

Thanks. I guess I'll have to strip it first and see what the results are. I will strip it & the use a neutralizer. Since I will have to wait until after the stripping aspect, my options of brands are Sikkens, Superdeck, Benjamin Moore, & Cabot. Are they all equal?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Coatings Nerd

Staining Cedar Decks

Sikkens and TWP are my 2 favorites that I sell the most of. Not for the fact that they last longer than any of the others, but for the ease of maintenance. They both last about 2 years ( here in Michigan ) If you lightly wash your deck ( I use TSP Bleach and water ) then re-apply stain. It saves the time, hassle, and possible wood damage from repeated strippings. The horizontal boards can be done every 1-2 years depending on abuse, vertical wood (ie railings and spindles ) can usually be done every 4 years. Thats typically why everyone puts off doing their decks, thos darn railings that take forever. So basically every other time you do the floor and top rail...do the spindles.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:59 AM   #7

Staining Cedar Decks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1 View Post
Depends on what stripper you use, Gemini Safe Strip (my preffered stripper ) has no need to be neutralized and works great.
Will it strip latex as well as oil and if so how about semi solid latex? Can you give me some info on it?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #8

Staining Cedar Decks

I stripped the deck w/Benjamin Moore stain remover & will be using the Neutralizer tomorrow. May just go with Benjamin Moore or Sikkens stain since I can get it locally & in 5 gal. pails w/o special ordering unless I can get the Superdeck within 2 days. What does everyone think of the 3?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #9

Staining Cedar Decks

Armstrong Clark is a very good stain to work with and it does not overlap in the Sun like most do.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Coatings Nerd

Staining Cedar Decks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ThGeneration View Post
Will it strip latex as well as oil and if so how about semi solid latex? Can you give me some info on it?
No it doesent strip solids, they make another product that works OK on solids called Solid Strip. It's caustic (will burn you ) works decent ( havent found a safe product that works on solid decks yet ) The Safe Strip is fantastic, takes off semi transparent stains with minimal effort. 4:1 mixing ratio, spray it on, let it sit 15min or so, powerwash off. That simple. Wont hurt plants, people, grass, anything.

http://www.geminicoatings.com/p/12203/Default.aspx

Advertisement