Staining Cabinets. Sanding Issue? Wierd Splotches - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Staining cabinets. Sanding issue? Wierd splotches

I took the doors off. Sanded the doors and drawers with 220 grit lightly. Sprayed on 2 coats and it was awesome. Of course I thought I had gotten it right first try ever and I was so proud. Well..... Then I sanded the cabinets the same way. Spray stained with the same poly shades ( I already know some of y'all don't like the product but it worked great and gave me the color I want on the doors). Now I have these splotches. I don't think I went through the veneer. Actually I don't think it is veneer. These spots seem to be more where the doors contact the wood. Crazy thing is there are none on the horizontal wood pieces that are covered completely by the doors. Just the horizontals and verticals around the edges of where the does would be. Any suggestions. Oh and the patches feel a little rougher than the surrounding area and raised a little. I have made so many mistakes with this project I'm just ready for it to be done.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Comcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comcneil
I took the doors off. Sanded the doors and drawers with 220 grit lightly. Sprayed on 2 coats and it was awesome. Of course I thought I had gotten it right first try ever and I was so proud. Well..... Then I sanded the cabinets the same way. Spray stained with the same poly shades ( I already know some of y'all don't like the product but it worked great and gave me the color I want on the doors). Now I have these splotches. I don't think I went through the veneer. Actually I don't think it is veneer. These spots seem to be more where the doors contact the wood. Crazy thing is there are none on the horizontal wood pieces that are covered completely by the doors. Just the horizontals and verticals around the edges of where the does would be. Any suggestions. Oh and the patches feel a little rougher than the surrounding area and raised a little. I have made so many mistakes with this project I'm just ready for it to be done.
Oh and I used wood conditioner too

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,564

Is the silver/grey the colour you are spraying? Looks like the wood was bare and is soaking up the spray.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed
Is the silver/grey the colour you are spraying? Looks like the wood was bare and is soaking up the spray.
It's a dark brown ish color. I'll attach a pic of one that had less burnt spots. I thought it ws supposed to be bare? Do I just need tough up paint in these areas?
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

What kind of sander did you use on the face frames and did you use coarser grain sand paper in previous steps? It looks like areas where something like 120 grit scuffs didn't get sanded out with the 220 pass. That is why it feels rough and it soaks up more stain. Sometimes you can sand those areas with your 220 and blend in the new layer of finish...no guarantee, good luck.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MNsawyergp For This Useful Post:
Comcneil (02-06-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #6

Awesome. Thanks a bunch. I'd rather try that then continue shopping for peel and stick wood veneer to go over it. That looks like a whole project in itself. I'll resend those spots tonight
Old 02-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #7

I used a dewalt random orbital with 220 grit paper.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNsawyergp
What kind of sander did you use on the face frames and did you use coarser grain sand paper in previous steps? It looks like areas where something like 120 grit scuffs didn't get sanded out with the 220 pass. That is why it feels rough and it soaks up more stain. Sometimes you can sand those areas with your 220 and blend in the new layer of finish...no guarantee, good luck.
You are awesome. I resanded the areas with 80 grit lightly and went 120 then 220 and it worked like a charm. Thank you do much.
Here are some before and after pics.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

Nice make over----Light sanding after the first coat is frequently required---glad it worked out well for you.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

I am so glad this worked for you. It seems like every project we do provides new challenges and head scratching to figure out how to save ourselves from ruin. It is fun to keep up with these posts and find ones I can help with. Your project looks great. Now you can admire it for years to come and have stories to tell about it. Best wishes.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 27

Nice job on the redo. Looks really good!
KatHelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #12

Thanks a bunch.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

looks great, my wife and I have considered doing the same, medium oak to a dark rich color just like yours, but were concerned the stain wouldn't soak in.

Can you give a brief review of the steps you took and products you used please.

thanks in advance
Greg
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Looks good. I always like to keep a bottle of the hard stuff handy during renovations too

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #15

I didn't even realize that was in the picture.....hehehe got me.

Ok so here's my story. I used minwax polyshades color Bombay mahogany. 2 coats which used 2 cans. I purchased a graco sprayer which was a little over 120.00 at lowes on sale. I also purchased sandpaper sheets 80 grit, 120 grit, and 220 grit. Add in a small can of wood conditioner, a roll of frog tape, plastic for the floor and appliances, and rags.

I tried sponge application and brush application but with the polyshades which u don't wipe off I had problems in the corners of the decorative doors with the stain pooling. I did not have this issue with spraying and I got a deeper color that still allowed wood grain to show through.

This project cost me less than 250.00 after everything. And took 5 days working by myself. The mistakes cost me valuable drying time.
I took all the doors and hinges off and sanded them with 120 grit.

Mistake 1 - I did not sand the cabinets with 80 grit first and and had rough spots when I tried to stain the first coat. This caused me to have to resand and restain.

After sanding wipe off doors with damp cloth just to get loose wood dust off. Then apply wood conditioner and according to the directions on the can let sit at least 5 but no more than 15 min

Mistake 2 - I applied to a large area and did not make it to staining the last doors before the wood conditioner had dried and surprisingly you could tell the difference. Ended up resanding and restaining.

Note -I am not sanding all the way to the bare wood because I am going from a lighter color to a darker color. Just sand enough to bump the sheen off with the 80 grit then sand with the other grits going progressively higher to make the wood smooth.

I sprayed the polyshades on the doors first ( in the garage and outside)

Note this sounds simple but I did not think of space to lay the doors while they were drying so that became a challenge.

While they were drying I sprayed the Cabinets inside the house.

Mistake 3 I am lazy. I did not take the time to completely cover the floor right up to the cabinets. Result hrs of scrubbing the floor to get the polyshades brown sheen off the floor. I thought there was no overspray but the light brown tint of the floor tells a different story.

After doors dried I sanded again with 220 lightly And stained second coat. Same with the cabinets.

I still want to go over with a coat of polyeurathane as a finisher.

Lessons learned. Propper prep work is key. Don't plan on finishing in the time it should take a professional it causes more frustration when things go wrong. Oh keep the hinges with the doors and find a way to mark the doors with the corresponding Cabinet. Apparently the hinges were adjusted to the cabinets so some of the doors didn't close properly because the hinges were set to a different door. It is able to be readjusted of course but it's an additional step to a long project that I could have avoided. Practice spraying on a sheet of wood first if it's the first time using a spray gun. It seems easy enough on a small piece of wood but working on something larger that you have to use multiple strokes on is completely different.

If I left anything out please let me know.

Hope my trials help u to not make some of the same "new diyer" mistakes.

Advertisement

Last edited by Comcneil; 03-03-2012 at 11:24 AM.