Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Staining cabinets that have been stained 2 different colors?

I recently put in a new bathroom vanity that came in three sections. The middle section that has 4 drawers is a different color (they ran out of the color of the two other cabinets). Center is yellowish while outer cabinets are a light cherry color (see photo). I thought I would paint the whole thing one color anyway. Now I'm wondering if I would be able to stain them all the same color (dark brown) instead of painting. Is this possible or will the center section still come out a different color?

Thanks!
Jason

digexpressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

if it were me I would use stain stripper and start from scratch takes only 30 to work and possibly minimal sanding if any than wipe the wood with mineral spirits or after wash sold at HD to neutralize wood than stain will come out even and very nice.

pF45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Does stripping completely remove the stain? I wouold consider sanding, however the doors might be a pain since they are not entirely flat. Also, has anyone used gel stain? I heard that you don't need to sand first. However, I'm still a bit worried since the colors didn't match to begin with.

Thanks!
digexpressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

As it's highly likely that these cabs have some sort of poly on them, there would be little chance of stain absorption

Stripping them would be a dirty, ugly, messy, time consuming job at best
...not to mention the gobs of hazardous waste you then have leftover
...and the high probability that it didn't work very well, and you still need lots of sanding for mediocre results
If you did want to start from scratch, I'd highly recommend dropping them off at a strip shop

Gel stain would be another option
It will stick just fine
It's a little odd to work with, if you are used to regular stain
But with a little practice you may get it quickly
You could put it on solid enough to hide the lighter cab
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Yes stripping is a dirty job, I just did my entire big kitchen but also saved $4800 dollars so if you have money to spare go ahead with a strip shop. Their is stain stripper and paint stripper I used a thick gel like stain stripper on my oak cabinets after 30 min all poly and 90% of stain came off after very light 220 grit sand bare wood was exposed take the door off and do it in the driveway outdoors and the cabinet frame can be done with alot of ventilation, open windows use a fan blowing out the windows ect. Not a hard job at all. Again as previous post mentioned take it to a strip shop and get ripped off if you chose to.
pF45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pF45 View Post
I used a thick gel like stain stripper on my oak cabinets after 30 min all poly and 90% of stain came off after very light 220 grit sand bare wood was exposed
That's excellent
However, you were lucky and one of the few it worked out well for
Not all strippers are available in all areas, and what works well for one thing can be poor on another, and precious few work on stain at all
I can honestly say your experience was rather un-common
Great for you, but not how it usually goes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pF45
take it to a strip shop and get ripped off if you chose to.
I realize you may not consider what the strip shop charged as reasonable, but it hardly means they are ripping people off
It just means you didn't feel their services were worth the price
Fair enough, but hardly a criminal act...no need to insult them
Obviously they are in business and people are paying it
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pF45 View Post
Yes stripping is a dirty job, I just did my entire big kitchen but also saved $4800 dollars so if you have money to spare go ahead with a strip shop. Their is stain stripper and paint stripper I used a thick gel like stain stripper on my oak cabinets after 30 min all poly and 90% of stain came off after very light 220 grit sand bare wood was exposed take the door off and do it in the driveway outdoors and the cabinet frame can be done with alot of ventilation, open windows use a fan blowing out the windows ect. Not a hard job at all. Again as previous post mentioned take it to a strip shop and get ripped off if you chose to.
pF45:
Paint strippers can work because the paint stays on the surface of the wood. Stains, on the other hand, penetrate into the wood cells and remain there as the solvents in the stain evaporate.
About the only two things I know of that will remove stain from wood are a) sandpaper (by removing the stained wood) and b) bleach. And, normal household bleach isn't strong enough to bleach out wood stain. You generally have to dissolve potassium hypochlorite crystals (of the kind used to chlorinate swimming pool water) in water until they no longer dissolve.

pF45: Can you provide a link to a web site that offers a product that claims to strip stain off of wood? I know there will be plenty of products that strip paint and varnish off wood, but I'd be particularily interested in any products that claim to remove stain from wood.

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote