Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #1

Share |

Staining cabinets

How can I stain these builder grade cabinet, wanna put a cherry wood stain or espresso..
Attached Thumbnails
Staining cabinets-image-3154049103.jpg   Staining cabinets-image-3993420080.jpg  

Jamntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Staining cabinets

To restain you will have to strip them. However, a semi-solid gel stain product over the top might work. Try some on a cabinet back.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #3

Staining cabinets

Do u have a list of products n steps that I can use, first time homeowner. Thank you.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
JOATMON

Staining cabinets

A little advice.....

If you really want to change the color....get new cabinets....those have to be some of the cheapest cabinets I have ever seen. It would be a lot of work to strip them....the gel stain is not going to stick to the clear coat on there....I think it's going to end up looking worse than it is now.

One option....get new doors....then you only have to strip the face frames....and then you stain the face frames and new doors.

Lord, those are cheap cabinets......

Sorry.....I do wood working as a hobby.....those are some really cheap doors.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #5

Staining cabinets

Ouch, I get there cheap , may have to go an even cheaper route and just slap some paint on em lol Thanks thou
Old 02-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
Stay-at-home GC

Staining cabinets

Could pick up a book on faux painting finishes. I've seen some amazing cherry reproductions using just lacquer paints

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #7

Staining cabinets

Yea ive seen some on youtube, gonna try , sure it wouldn't hurt at this point. Worst case jus get new ones, make my lady happy
Old 02-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #8
Stay-at-home GC

Staining cabinets

My wife and I stripped a "starter" hutch that was Ash (we think). Whatever it was, it was to tight of a grain to accept anything new. We tried double coats of dark stain, painting them on and letting them soak for 20 minutes and as soon as we wiped them down, poof! No stain color left. Seem to remember we even tried some wood conditioner to open up the grain with no success (maybe it was plastic vs Ash).

Anyway, we ended up using a black Epoxy paint tinted with red to get a cherry espresso look. Two coats, sanded in between to reduce brush strokes.

Be methodical and fastidious (thumbs up for the 3 syllable words) about doing each element and cleanliness. Don't think "I'm going to paint the cabinet", think "I'm going to paint the door rails, now I am going to paint the stiles"

Skip the "green" and safe strippers. Gloves, goggles, long sleeves and proper ventilation will give you much better results. You should feel a little bit nervous when you open the can. READ THE LABELS! One product we used said "may cause sudden respiratory failure and death at concentrations as low as some parts per million"

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Staining cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamntx View Post
Do u have a list of products n steps that I can use, first time homeowner. Thank you.
I will try to look later or you can search you tube or something for using gel stains. Check out the video from the Minwax Gel Stain website. The guy is showing how to add detail to a finished floor but it will give you the idea.

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...nwax-gel-stain

Basically you scruff the surface. Apply the gel stain (you will have to experiment for the look you want). Put a coat or two of poly over the top when dry.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
ltd

Staining cabinets

last month i did a job for a client that had purchased rustoleum cabinet restorer in a cheery finish.i mean to tell you the cabinets came out beautiful very diy friendly directions ,even give you a dvd to watch...you can probably see some info on this on youtube .you can buy it at hd or lowes. p/s your cabnets are fine
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Staining cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
last month i did a job for a client that had purchased rustoleum cabinet restorer in a cheery finish.i mean to tell you the cabinets came out beautiful very diy friendly directions ,even give you a dvd to watch...you can probably see some info on this on youtube .you can buy it at hd or lowes. p/s your cabnets are fine
People keep praising the cabinet and countertop stuff. Could you post some before and after pics to the showcase section if you have them. I am skeptical of such things but trust the brand.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
ltd

Staining cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
People keep praising the cabinet and countertop stuff. Could you post some before and after pics to the showcase section if you have them. I am skeptical of such things but trust the brand.
sorry sds i havent any pitchers. i have used the counter refinisher on the same job i did the cabnets on. it came out beautiful.this stuff is a little pricry imo.250 bucks.but yea it seems like the counter is very durable,time will tell

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote