Staining A 10 Year Old Deck - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Staining a 10 year old deck

My deck is ten years old, I usually stain it along with my privacy fence every other year. The problem is I have been using Behr Semi- Transparent Deck, Fence and Siding stain ( Cedar Tone ).
It seems to me that Behr does not with stand the elements very well, such as, sun, heat, and rain. Is it normal for this stain to fade very fast? Is there a better stain that will hold up to foot traffic and the elements?

Thanks,

Keith from Michigan

Advertisement

Keith vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 594

Depending on the condition of your deck, it may be due for a sanding. If the grain is "closed" so to speak, it will not absorb the stain well and you are basically just putting on a top-coat over the surface. Using Behr anything will usually get you beat with a stick around this forum.

Last year I had to reclaim my deck from years of previous-owner neglect. I [by I, I mean me plus 2 helpers] spent about 3 weeks sanding the whole thing down and then put a coat of Cabot cedar-tone stain over the whole thing. This is the first time I have got through a winter without all the stain peeling off.

Still, even with a quality stain, you will have to re-coat every year or two. One even coat, never more.

Advertisement

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
Depending on the condition of your deck, it may be due for a sanding. If the grain is "closed" so to speak, it will not absorb the stain well and you are basically just putting on a top-coat over the surface. Using Behr anything will usually get you beat with a stick around this forum.

Last year I had to reclaim my deck from years of previous-owner neglect. I [by I, I mean me plus 2 helpers] spent about 3 weeks sanding the whole thing down and then put a coat of Cabot cedar-tone stain over the whole thing. This is the first time I have got through a winter without all the stain peeling off.

Still, even with a quality stain, you will have to re-coat every year or two. One even coat, never more.
Sir,
What your telling me is I screwed up by applying Behr stain to the deck I built ten years ago? Your also telling me to sand the deck down, never have, and stain with cabot cedar tone semi transparent stain? I also tried olympic stain as well....big mistake!! I need a gokd reliable stain to that can deal with the elements and foot traffic.
Thanks for your help
Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I just bought a house with a neglected deck & will be starting to fix it by flipping the boards & staining it (they painted over the dried up boards- yuck). My parents built their deck almost 16 years ago & it's in great shape. We stain it every other year, but It looks almost brand new. Not sure if it's because we scrub & power wash it real good before we stain it each time. Maybe you just need to clean it real good before to get it to hold up better. Just a suggestion.
redheadedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
jgp

Rewards Points: 10

I too have a cedar deck that is 10 years old. My issue is that it sits about 30" from ground and gets alot o sunight. We just took down planter boxes that were on the two outer corners and one side. we are going to strip and brighten(condition) the wood.I live in chicago. I heard of this product Defy Xtreme weather stain for hardwood and cedar. I am either going to use a semi transparent or just an oil to get hopefully 2 years out of it. That would beat teh every year mark. Everything peels even from day 1. Does ayone have any suggestions on other products? I have to order on web or drive to Rochester Hills MI!

Would appreciate any feedback.
jgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,256

Cabot and Olympic always come out as the top two stain.
If there failing then something else is being done wrong to prep it.
How are you applying it?
Even a good stain is only going to last a few years.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
jgp

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the input. When the deck was new we let it "weather" for about 3-4 weeks per cabot. They did not tell us to clean or remove any film on the cedar boards. We appiled the clear with teflon because of the sun. Ever since then we have stripped and reapplied a new stain which was free from cabot same thing happened. We woud have to address the peeling every year. I have been told that the proximety to the groun is the issue. Moisture comes up from the underneath of the boards and pushes the "film" off the wood creating the peeling. Now we are going to strip and brighten the wood to see if the oil base products "preservatives" will penetrate the wood. I have been tol by a few manufacturers that their products will ot work on cedar decks that are that close to ground. All I need is a product that will soak into the cedar wook so when the moisture rises that wood can expand and contract without peeling ocuring. 2 years would be great.
jgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

You need to strip all the Behr off and neutralize the wood. Then apply a good sealer. Ready Seal, Armstrong Clark are two of the best to use. Behr has been a problem for years look up all the class actions about their stains.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #9

[QUOTE=CaptRandy;895546]You need to strip all the Behr off and neutralize the wood. Then apply a good sealer. Ready Seal, Armstrong Clark are two of the best to use. Behr has been a problem for years look up all the class actions about their stains.[/QUOTE]Once I strip the old Behr and neutralize the wood, I then apply tbe sealer. How long do I wait until I apply the stain? What kind of stain is sufficient for a deck?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Time is not the determining factor, moisture of the wood is. The wood must be 14% or less moisture content.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith vent View Post
Sir,
What your telling me is I screwed up by applying Behr stain to the deck I built ten years ago? Your also telling me to sand the deck down, never have, and stain with cabot cedar tone semi transparent stain? I also tried olympic stain as well....big mistake!! I need a gokd reliable stain to that can deal with the elements and foot traffic.
Thanks for your help
Please don't take it the wrong way-- it's just how communicating through the lens of the internet bends things-- but when I read your post I pictured this guy:

If only you had added, "preposterous!" to the end.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

I recommend Cabot 9100 Series (Cedartone is in this group). It is lightly pigmented, and gives the wood a natural color. It is also oil-rich,
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 374

Flood SWF (solid) or TWF (semi-transparent).
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith vent View Post
My deck is ten years old, I usually stain it along with my privacy fence every other year. The problem is I have been using Behr Semi- Transparent Deck, Fence and Siding stain ( Cedar Tone ).
It seems to me that Behr does not with stand the elements very well, such as, sun, heat, and rain. Is it normal for this stain to fade very fast? Is there a better stain that will hold up to foot traffic and the elements?

Thanks,

Keith from Michigan

Most ANYTHING would be better than Behr
Attached Thumbnails
Staining a 10 year old deck-behr1.jpg  

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote