Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
god

Share |

Stained some wood, should I put on clear coat?

Hey guys

I have been refurbishing an old slot machine from the 1930's. The case has both metal and wood finishing. It has been repainted several times before I got it so I was not dealing with orignal paint or anything. I used varathane premium wood stain, (early american ) and didn t know if mabye I should use clear coat to protect the finish?
Over the years I have used stain a few times for house hold projects and I always have put on several coats of clear coat to protect the finish. But of course, these were shevles where items were going on the wood so I thought it really needed protection. I was leaning on not putting any clear coat to protect the finish on the slot machine.

What would you guys do?

god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Stain is not meant to be the finish- just the color. It has no protective qualities.
Lots of good choices in finishes- think about sheen level- Satin is the most used, but it could be either flatter to retain the raw look, or shiner.
Varathane makes a good oil poly, if you want to go waterborne I know of no better to use than Zar Ultra Max- tough enough for floors. Ace Hdwe, among others carries it.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
In a little over my head

I've had really good luck with Minwax and Behr Tung Oil Finish. Easy to apply and just the right amount of sheen for me.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
god

I guess by sheen you mean whether its shinny finish or not. I like the raw look of it now, I ll check out a satin finish as thats not too shinney.
I used a oil base for the stain so I guess I have to go with oil for the finish?
god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

No- you can use either oil or waterborne as long as the stain is dry.
The flattest ( raw) look might be Dead Flat varnish by modern masters.