Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Share |

Stained plywood will not dry

I've stained 8 birch plywood platforms with black Minwax on a roller. This is my first painting project and it has been quite a struggle. I didn't anticipate the wide range of problems and living in an apartment and working from the balcony and extra bedroom has compounded things. From all types of airborne particles landing in the stain when it was fresh, to incredibly potent fumes, to an uneven look, to an inability to fully dry, it's been a lot more difficult than I expected.

At this point the look is going to be quite bad because of uneven coats of stain and the different types of particles that blew into the stain when it was fresh, but I don't mind. The real problem is the stain will not completely dry and it's been nearly a week, although the can of Minwax said it should completely cure in 3 hours. I live in Hawaii so the air is somewhat humid but this seems like an incredibly long dry time. I just ran a paper towel over each platform's surface and each paper towel came out covered in black stain. It seems like the platforms will take weeks to completely dry. Is this normal?

Over the week I've been waiting for them to dry, they've been in the extra bedroom with or without a large fan blowing over them or outside on the balcony in the sun and wind. Is there anything else I can do?
diyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:47 AM   #2

Usually when applying stain you wipe the surface with cotton rags. You might not have done that from the sound of your post. You apply, allow to penetrate to get the color/tone you want, then you wipe the stain. At this point your place must smell to high heaven!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyrocks View Post
I've stained 8 birch plywood platforms with black Minwax on a roller. This is my first painting project and it has been quite a struggle. I didn't anticipate the wide range of problems and living in an apartment and working from the balcony and extra bedroom has compounded things. From all types of airborne particles landing in the stain when it was fresh, to incredibly potent fumes, to an uneven look, to an inability to fully dry, it's been a lot more difficult than I expected.

At this point the look is going to be quite bad because of uneven coats of stain and the different types of particles that blew into the stain when it was fresh, but I don't mind. The real problem is the stain will not completely dry and it's been nearly a week, although the can of Minwax said it should completely cure in 3 hours. I live in Hawaii so the air is somewhat humid but this seems like an incredibly long dry time. I just ran a paper towel over each platform's surface and each paper towel came out covered in black stain. It seems like the platforms will take weeks to completely dry. Is this normal?

Over the week I've been waiting for them to dry, they've been in the extra bedroom with or without a large fan blowing over them or outside on the balcony in the sun and wind. Is there anything else I can do?
Sound's like you went at this wrong. The uneven stain is due to Blotching. As far as drying if the Blocth control was used it would have dryed ok. What you may have to do is use shellac over what you have and see if that dry's. If so just put your finish over . If not you may have to strip all the crap that is on their now and start over. If you start over i would get this blotch control and apply first and you will get a even stain. and not uneven. Don't put out in the sun that will not dry the finish. Good luck here is a video on blotching by charles neil http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...17/IfCYMdrP8rM
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
handpaintedbysteve.com

Hey diyrocks,
Go up to Home Depot or Lowes pick up a one gallon empty pail, a good pair of solvent resistant rubber gloves, some cotton rags and a gallon or two of mineral spirits. Now take those pieces you stained and take them outside and wash them down using the mineral spirits. Whatever is causing that stain not to dry has got to come off. Then allowing a day to dry assuming they are dry and start all over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Super Master Painter

you most likely put to much stain on and now its having trouble drying..........get some thinners and a rag and rub off whatever stain you can then let the rest dry...........then start over but this time rag the stain on or brush then rag off ................whatever works best for you
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Usually when applying stain you wipe the surface with cotton rags. You might not have done that from the sound of your post.
I actually started with staining pads but it was such a mess I went out and bought a roller. The staining pads covered my hands in black stain and it was very hard to wash off.

Quote:
The uneven stain is due to Blotching. As far as drying if the Blocth control was used it would have dryed ok.
What happened to the stuff you just put on and let dry? Maybe that's "paint" but not "stain"?

Can I just spray the stained plywood as-is with Krylon Crystal Clear as a quick and dirty shortcut? I'm desperate to have this project done so I can move on to the next one.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Super Master Painter

your are your own dude ..........im outta here

(jumps out of window)
Old 01-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #8

Is Krylon a dirty word around here? I just want to get the job done.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Super Master Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyrocks View Post
Is Krylon a dirty word around here? I just want to get the job done.

no, krylon is fine..........im just not cut out for helping HO'ers thats all.......nothing personal, im sure the guys will be along shortly to assist you

(jumping back out of window)
Old 01-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
DIY staff

You must remove the sticky dried stain before you do anything else---you must wipe off any stain that does not soak into the wood----Mike---
Old 01-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
DIY staff

Ole34---:whis tling2:
Old 01-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
You must remove the sticky dried stain before you do anything else---you must wipe off any stain that does not soak into the wood
That makes sense. Can I wipe off the excess stain with mineral spirits, spray flat black Krylon over that after it dries, and then spray Krylon Crystal Clear over that?

Should the Krylon dry quickly as opposed to the stain?

I've used black Krylon on MDF before and whatever I would rub against it would turn black even many months after. Should Krylon Crystal Clear prevent that from happening here?
Old 01-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
DIY staff

Once the sticky stuff is removed with mineral spirits and has dried--you are ready to spray with your Krylon---

In the future--when staining wipe off the excess stain after about 3 minutes---use cotton rags.

You are good now--Have fun---Mike---