Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Stain on white ceiling

My townhouse tub drain must have leaked since there is a brown stain about 8 inches diameter on the ceiling of the downstairs living room. I need to re-paint the white "popcorn ceiling" but what is the best way to do it?

The bedroom's white popcorn ceiling also got badly stained from a roof leak years ago, so I covered the 36 square foot area using white texture paint but looks bad now. How can this be removed from the ceiling? I want to re-paint using the popcorn ceiling paint.

ol rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #2

Stain on white ceiling

Has the leak been fixed?
Why not get rid of the popcorn and get rid of the whole nasty mess.
Not to many tradesman would ever suggest any form of texture on anything.
A dust magnet, near imposable to clean, repair, and paint.

Last edited by joecaption; 06-08-2013 at 04:46 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
ol rick (06-15-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #3

Stain on white ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol rick
My townhouse tub drain must have leaked since there is a brown stain about 8 inches diameter on the ceiling of the downstairs living room. I need to re-paint the white "popcorn ceiling" but what is the best way to do it?

Popcorn is usually a PITA to paint unless it has been painted before (most hasn't ) or you can spray it.
You might try touching it up first. Zinsser has a spray can of white stain blocker that sprays upward for this purpose. It's called 'up shot' I think. Whether you end up doing the whole thing or not, you will need to spray the stain with this, or something similar. Try just spraying just the stain a couple times.
If you paint the whole thing, airless spray if possible. It can be rolled most of the time, but the popcorns come off on the roller to an extent.
I haven't ever done popcorn removal, but it doesn't look too hard, just messy.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
ol rick (06-15-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Stain on white ceiling

There is good news and bad news. The bad news is removing popcorn ceilings is a messy PITA. The good news is the majority of them consisted of the crappiest ceiling paint available mixed with styrene or other similar pellets sprayed over non-primed and too often not even taped drywall ceilings.

I think you will find getting rid of it well worth the effort. Wet it and then get under it with a wide drywall knife. Unless you got one of the 2 percent of things that was done properly, I think you will be surprised at how fast it goes. Just have contractor bags handy to put the debris into.

You have not only the problem of patching and then priming and painting the texture but if the leak seeped into the drywall and has caused it to fail, you are going to have to cut out the damaged sections, fit repair sections, tape, mud, re-texture trying to match, prime and paint.

As mentioned, it is not at all uncommon for the surface tension from a roller to pull chunks of popcorn down. Maybe you will get lucky. Spraying it can help. If it has been painted and is still adhering you might get away with another coat. It is a timebomb though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-08-2013), ol rick (06-15-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #5

Stain on white ceiling

Ive got the same issue in my living room.I've used clorox to remove the stain.But now I have a clean spot on the ceiling.Looks uglier than the stain in some ways.Kilzit is a sealer and stain blocker I'm told to use.But still that nasty textured ceiling.Mine is a sponge textured.Still looking for how to do it.Thought I'd let others know about the kilzit.
solar eagle53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solar eagle53 For This Useful Post:
ol rick (06-15-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #6

Stain on white ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Has the leak been fixed?
Why not get rid of the popcorn and get rid of the whole nasty mess.
Not to many tradesman would ever suggest any form of texture on anything.
A dust magnet, near imposable to clean, repair, and paint.
You must never have been to Fla.
Popcorn ceilings are a part of my job usually removal. Unpainted popcorn is easy to remove, messy yea, but even that can be controlled. Probably 95% of unpainted popcorn cannot be painted with a roller. The reason is we use water to loosen and remove popcorn, latex paint is water based so as you apply you are loosening the popcorn and when the roller goes back over it the popcorn comes off. I have used "up shot" for small places and it pretty much worked.
For popcorn that has been painted you can use a stain blocker then paint. Usually you will need to paint the entire ceiling. Because popcorn is usually pretty gray because it attracts everything. You probably won't notice this till you try to match the color. Painted popcorn is more difficult to remove but doable.
A lot of realtors have told me there is no way to date a house quicker than popcorn ceilings. May want to check your area and see if as long as you are doing this if it may be time for a simple upgrade.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
ol rick (06-15-2013), Startingover (06-25-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #7

Stain on white ceiling

All my house has this textured sponge treatment on the ceilings.My living room has cathedral ceiling as well as the kitchen/dining room.Hope all who run into this with popcorn have it easy.But I'm sure they wont.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #8

Stain on white ceiling

don't paint it. It will be a ***** to remove later.

Remove it, but beware that some popcorn ceilings in old houses have asbestos. So you need to wet it really well before scraping.
pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pman6 For This Useful Post:
ol rick (06-15-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #9

Stain on white ceiling

mine is only 24 years old and the contractor sprayed the paint on.After he did the sponge texture treatment. Had a roof leak and want to fix the ceiling now.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
Painting Contractor CT

Stain on white ceiling

Popcorn ceiling texture can be removed, but to make your job easier you need to make sure it is soaked well and scrape off. Once you have scraped it and applied new texture to the area, use oil base stain blocker to cover the stains from prior leak you had. Then you can go ahead and paint entire ceiling.

Good Luck!
KD PAINTING is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KD PAINTING For This Useful Post:
ol rick (06-15-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #11

Question

Stain on white ceiling

On my downstairs living room ceiling, the popcorn paint has the 8" stain from the plumbing just above. I read from the replies I need to either scrape it off (wet first) then re-do, with the addition of Kilzit or oil based stain blocker.

But the other ceiling (I was not clear before) has a section I re-painted using a textured white paint, and I think the paint was Behr. That section of the ceiling is next to popcorn ceiling, so the textured paint stands out like I would walking through Victoria's Secret alone. I need to remove THAT paint and re-do with popcorn to match the entire room.

ol rick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
popcorn ceiling, tub drain leaked, white ceiling stain