Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Which stain to use for fence?

I will be staining my cedar (I believe) fence in the near future using a Wagner Paint Crew Pro (price is too good to pass up). I have pressure washed the entire fence, as well as sprayed it with jomax mildew cleaner/killer.

I am ready to begin staining but cannot decide which stain to use. I would like to match the color of the neighbors fence (see pictures). The neighbors used Cabot semi-transparent oil stain (walnut brown). I like the look but don't like the idea of the semi-transparent only lasting a couple years.

I originally intended to use Pittsburgh Ultra Advanced solid oil stain. I am confused by the fact that they offer a longer warranty on their water based oil product (I'm not worried about warranty but I find it curious that they suggest that it will last longer than oil). The other product I am considering is the Cabot semi-solid product.

Goals: spray only one coat. Make project as simple as possible (there is quite a bit of fence!). Get long life out of finish

Here are a couple pictures of the fence:

http://www.john.developer10.com/pics/fence1.jpg
http://www.john.developer10.com/pics/fence2.jpg

Any input you may have is appreciated!

jetrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,028

The Semi-transparent will give you a good 5 years or so and maybe longer seeing as how it is a vertical surface. Semi-transparent stains are also a lot less likely to chip or flake as they sok in the wood real well. Latex has come a long way, but it still has a ways to go before I would say it will out-perform oil based. I have just seen too many failures with latex stains.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 512

Semi-transparents and semi-solid stains come in 100% acrylic and oil. All most all stains are only going to give you a few years, you need to recoat every few years. Semi-transparent and semi-solids are only recommended that you apply one coat. I am not familiar with pittsburg, but we use either sikkens or cabot and have never had a problem, our work is also guaranteed in writing, so I think if you went with cabot in you choice of translucentness, you'll be fine. Adventually semi-solids and semi-translucents fail too. A solid or semi, it will all last about the same on a fence, and translucents do crack and flake down the road too
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
Painting Company, NY

They have made 100% acrylic stains for a few years now in semi-transparent, semi-solid, and solid. they last just as long as oil does, they actually have more elasticity, retain color better, resist mildew, and crack less. There's a difference between acrylic and latex, even though there both waterbourne.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 08-14-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: removed website
Old 08-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #5

Cool

# 1. use a solid stain. last longest. best to look at. your lumber's not so pretty where you're better offer seeing it's grain. cover it w/ a solid stain.

#2. use a sprayer if you must. but stain makers will clearly instruct you to have a follow brush/brusher to make certain stain gets in grain. I say get a couple cheap hired hands, big brushes, and get busy w/ a couple of cans.

#3. your prep sounds thorough. but one coat w/ a semi doesn't. go 2 coats w/ a solid (cabot) and I predict you can snooze on it for 15 yrs.

#4. forget matching your neigbors color. be uniuqe. not wild. just different. cabot has 35 (approx.) colors.

#5. summary. 2 coats of solid stain, brushed, and you'll be golden. anything less and it'll be a recurring issue in short order. good luck.
ironsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Cabot has over 75 colors to choose from for solid, semi solid, and semi transparent stains, unless your using there ProVt line then its less color choice. There ProVt line is usually a one coat application over already stained substrates and its a solid. Solid will last a long time, its got the most pigments in it, especially if you get the acrylic formula which retains color better, it will flex, and its mildew resistant. I have personally never heard of any brand of stain lasting 15 years. I am very familiar with Cabot and use it frequently. If your familiar with a sprayer that will be the quickest application method and depending on how good you are with it will depend on the amount of back brushing you'll have to do.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #7

'Less about the stain BRAND - then it is about 2 SOLID STAIN COATS - for a 15 yr. run. Any comments indicating 2 coats isn't worth it is hogwash (IMHO). Spend twice the time up front for 3 times the wait til you gots to do it again. That's the way I see it.
ironsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Cabot Semi-Solid is only recommended to apply one coat,(ask your service rep) the purpose of the semi-solid I'd to highlight the grain, on bare wood 2 coats of solid stain is recommend and if its pre stained you can use Cabot ProVt for one coat of a solid, we have probably already used over 500gallons of cabot stain this year along, not including any other brand of stain or paint.