Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stain reccomendations for my verticle cedar siding

Hello, this is my first post here. I am looking for my top choices on solid color stain for my 40 year old house. The siding is rough sawn tongue and groove cedar. Contractors have been reccomending BenjaminMmoore/Arborcoat and SherwinnWilliams/woodscapes. Consumer reports (which takes no monies for any advertising) rates Behr Solid Color Deck, Fence & Siding Wood Stain (not their Premium) the best. whichever contracctor I choose will wash the siding and caulk all gaps . then spray then backroll, two coats. THank you for any advice you have to give, its appreciated!

plainbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Never use Behr on exterior applications. Too many people have too many problems, particularly with their stains. There are many threads on this board on exactly this topic if you want to read more opinions. Recently used woodscapes solid to stain a poplar chair and it turned out very well.

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Paint Pro

Rewards Points: 75

Woodscapes solid color will last 8-10 years easy on rough sawn. I live in aspen where we gut punished with UV and moisture .. . and woodscapes is time tested to keep its color longer than other products ive used (ie cabots, woodkraft) I have heard good things about that arborcoat, but it has only been around for about 4-5 years and hasnt been time tested.
Expert Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

NEVER USE BEHR AT ALL! If you want a good laugh, read the posts about its CR rating on CR's own site! Most fall into the "What were you thinking?" category! It wins for price point. It, by the way, has slipped from its top slot in most categories last I looked.

I used Benjamin Moore products most but know Sherwin Williams Woodscapes Acrylic and its sister product from MAB (which it acquired) best. Amazing stuff. You can get it tinted to whatever color you want.

This assumes you want a solid color stain though? I would recommend other semi-transparent stains.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

What semi-transparent stains would you recommend? I have rough vertical cedar siding that I will be power washing and re-staining.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,030

My first choice would be Pittsburg Sunproof but I would have no problems with Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams latex stains.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret
What semi-transparent stains would you recommend? I have rough vertical cedar siding that I will be power washing and re-staining.

It depends a lot on what type of stain is on the surface currently, and what condition it's in.
Sikkens Log and Siding, or the 123 system have preformed the best for me on rough cedar, but it may not be appropriate depending on what's on there now.

I general, it's best to stick with the same base that you started with (oil on oil, water on water)
Or, strip completely and start over.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #8

It was last done about 4 years ago with Wolman Raincoat Semi-Transparent Cedar. I realize it's not a favorite on the forum but it held up fairly well. I will be pretty much starting over with power washing, cleaner and neutralizer so I can go any direction at this point. Just looking to get a quality product with some natural cedar color in it.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #9

I highly recommend the Sikkens log and siding for longevity. It is a film forming product. The first coat soaks into the wood, and the second coat gives it a slight sheen.
The color selection is somewhat limited, and they are all pretty dark.
We put some of the 'natural' color Sikkens on some cedar shakes a couple weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Stain reccomendations for my verticle cedar siding-image-2260337262.jpg   Stain reccomendations for my verticle cedar siding-image-2486532608.jpg  
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #10

I'm kind of gun shy about a product that may darken the wood. I had that happen once and really wasn't happy with it for the life of the product. I'm thinking about BM Arborcoat with Cedar color in either semi-transparent or semi solid. Here is a pic from a few years ago with the Wolman rain Coat Cedar semi transparent. It's a bit more weathered at this point.

Stain reccomendations for my verticle cedar siding-006.jpg

Last edited by mpnret; 11-30-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 274

Looking nice

alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote