Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |

Stain or paint on sideing. Which is better

On new T111 wood sideing, is it better to use a soild stain or a high quality latex paint. I'm thinking that a good oil base solid stain (if they make one) would hold up better than paint & would not have any peeling issues associated with it. And I think it would be less work with stain as I would not have to prime any of the sideing first.

Thanks
Maddog1

maddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #2

I have done panels upon panels of T-111 and you can't go wrong either way. Some will say stain is the way to go, others will say paint is the way to go. T-111 holds either product very well and will do so for years as long as you don't let it go too long without hitting it again. Stain requires less prep........you don't have to prime......I like Woodscapes from Sherwin-Williams. There are homes I have done with Woodscapes that have gone 8, 10, 12 years without recoating. If you paint it, use a long dry oil primer and then topcoat with an acrylic latex like SW's SuperPaint. Like I said, either process is fine, it just depends on the look you want. With stain you get more of a flat look and with paint you can go flat, satin, or gloss.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #3

Almost evertime you see rotting T-111 it's because it was installed to close to the ground. Anything less then a 1' you can plan on it having some issues.

I prefure soild stain, and I make sure the botton edge and at least 12" on the back side gets stained to. Soild stain is going to take two coats on T-111.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the opinions

I think I will go with the solid stain as suggested. Regarding T1-11 rotting. Your correct. I've only seen that happen when installed right to ground level & not protected. Mine will be at least 3 inches above ground & there will be a sloping concret edge about 12 inches wide & rain gutters off the roof. Should last a long time overall.

Thanks
Maddog
maddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I actually prefer acrylic solid stains over oils so my rec would be for something like SW Woodscapes but acrylic and not oil. If you go with stain.

Otherwise a nice alkyd primer like Ben Moore Fresh Start followed by nice acrylic finish.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #6

I think you're best bet is to use an exterior stain instead of latex paint. Depending on where you live, whether can damage a paint job much quicker than it can a stain coating. Also, stains require no prep, so you'd be saving yourself time and hassle.
henrylarry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #7

I agree on the solid stain instead of paint when it comes to wood surfaces. I prefer woodscapes from Sherwin Williams. Great solid stain product for wood surfaces. I have used it for many years on jobs and have gotten great results.

http://www.kdhomeimprovement.com
http://www.kdpaintintct.com
KDHomeImproveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #8

I would suggest a solid stain - Storm System offers a variety of shades that are quite weather-resistant and look great on a finished product. Either way stain is going to protect your surface for a longer period of time, because that is what the product is designed for.

henrylarry6 is offline   Reply With Quote