To Stain Or Not To Stain Concrete - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

To Stain or not to Stain Concrete

Hello all. Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, maybe flooring, but I am looking at doing something to the Concrete slab in my backyard. Nothing has been done to this slab besides pressure cleaning it once a year. I would like to do something to make finish the backyard and give it that final touch since on part of my backyard I have a nice wooden dek I built and awning and now I would like to finish this concrete. I have read a lot of about painting, staining, etc... This would be a DIY project and the slab is about 550 sq feet. I have seen some of the DIY complete packages at local large home improvement stores. I have also seen some of the semi transparent acrylics at SW or Benjamin Moore stores. Any guidance or help appreciated as to what to do and what products to use. I do live in SFLA and this time is perfect to complete since temps are not too hot. The slab area does face south and it does get sun all day long. Any help appreciated. Thanks again

Advertisement

hgiljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Never done it myself, but I've talked to people who have and by and large their biggest gripe was all of the prep work needed to turn a neglected and abused subfloor that has always been covered into something that looks good on it's own. Lots of sanding, grinding, filling to repair stuff that has always been hidden under carpet and what not. If you don't have those challenges then I suspect it will be pretty easy.

I'll ask the obvious question, slab in the backyard? Playground? Tennis court? What in the world is it for?

Advertisement

everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #3

More of a large driveway on the side/back of home. Put there by previous owner to park their boat. Part of it I built my wooden deck which looks great but the remaining concrete needs something... Which is why I looked at staining. As for patch work there is not much. Just clean and stain... Thanks again
Old 01-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

If it's in good condition, with no stains and/or whatnot, it would be a good candidate for a concrete stain
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #5

Any recommendations of the many products out there to use? THanks again
Old 01-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

hgiljr, for good results read the directions carefully and follow them. One of the directions will probably be to etch the slab with acid. Some products have the acid in the packaging. It is important to do this to open up the pores of the concrete so that the stain gets a good grip and lasts without washing away. Before preping with acid soak the surrounding lawn and shrubs very well so that they absorb as much moisture as possible. This way the acid will not affect your plantings.

Advertisement

Timberwright is offline   Reply With Quote