DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Stain for Deck

Tags
deck stain
6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  teamcanada 
#1 ·
How do I know if my deck is rotten?

I just moved into a new home, and want to refinish and stain the deck. However, before I do that, I'm wanting to know whether the deck actually CAN be saved. It's quite old, so how do I know whether it's rotten? Can all decks be saved by a coat of stain?

#5 ·
Photos of Deck

Thank you for the advice to check with an ice pick or screwdriver . . . I'll do that . . . I've also included a few photos of the deck. Can you tell by looking? It's in bad shape, but is it "savable" with a good stain?

I poked a knife into the deck, and it's just as difficult to poke a hole in the weaker parts of the deck as it is the healthier parts, so I'm taking that as a good sign it isn't rotten.

Attachments

#6 ·
"it's just as difficult to poke a hole in the weaker parts of the deck as it is the healthier parts" What does this mean? How do you define, "weaker"? To check a decks condition, you really want to check the structure that's under the deck, not the top. The actual decking can easily be replaced, but you're not saving a deck with a substantially rotted structure.
If you can't get under the deck, pop off a few boards at the both ends to see if the end grain of the joists are compromised. If they are okay, replace the deck boards that require replacing. Then clean, stain and seal.
Ron

#8 · (Edited)
It does not look too bad to me. The wood does not have any cupping where it sinks in in the middle. The splits are pretty minor and the edges are not turning up.

I think you need to just clean and seal it. Do not hit it with lots of water pressure because it can split the wood. It just looks a little dirty. Clean and seal and it will be like new in my opinion.

Frank Lardino

#14 ·
Stain Color . . .

Thanks for the replies, I think it is cedar, I broke a small piece off, and it smells like cedar. The reason I'm asking is because I've stripped the deck using deck wash, and now am starting to stain. But the stain I'm putting on looks orange in the can, but then looks brown (or just wet) on the board. I'm attaching the photo of a single stained board. Why does the board look so boring? Is it the stain I'm using, or is it the wood?

Attachments

#16 ·
I applied deck wash and then proceeded to stain with what looked like an orange color in the can. However, when I apply it to the deck, it makes the deck look wet and dreary and black instead of shining new and a nice stain color. I'm attaching a photo of the one deck board I have stained. Look how wet and boring it looks. Any advice on the best stain to bring this deck to life? I'm looking for something dark, but that will give some strong color to the deck. I'd even consider an opaque stain if it'll put some color on this deck.

Thanks,
Dan.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.