Spraying VS Rolling - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Spraying VS Rolling

I'm in the process of finishing my basement and getting ready to prime and paint the new drywall. I have a power sprayer, but I've never used it on interior walls before, so I'm wondering if anyone here has comments about pros and cons re: spraying vs rolling for primer and finish coats? preferences? experiences?

Advertisement

gdoucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Spraying VS Rolling

IMHO, interior spraying is only worthwhile if you have no floor coverings, trim, etc and are working a large area . (new construction, some remodeling)

Secondly, is your sprayer capable of spraying unthinned heavy body acrylic paints and primers? Most homeowner sprayers can't.

Lastly do you have the experience to spray a consistent coating. Spraying looks easy but looks are deceiving. It takes skill and experience to spray a consistent paint film at the thickness the paint manufacturer's recommend. You can always spray and backroll/backbrush which saves time and helps with consistency.

Maybe these factors will help with your decision.

Advertisement

hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Spraying VS Rolling

Very Good Lead in Hennyh.

I would just add that if a sprayer is to be used what I usually do is prime all sheet rock with a sprayer. This helps me to see all imperfections in the taping. Ceilings can be a troublesome project if your using any type of sheen. I personally spray and back roll those to completion. Then I cut & roll all my walls with finish coat. Stipple helps hide a multitude of sins. This way I can wait until all work in the area has been done so I can fix any dings, dents, scratches that have occurred. There are those who just cut & roll every thing. There are those who spray every thing. It is all up to each individuals preference & particular situation................... Good Luck .....................

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Spraying VS Rolling

Thanks guys. Mark, your response is actually what I was thinking

Since one of my rooms has no installed flooring or trim, I'm going to try spraying primer and back rolling, then cutting and rolling the finish coats. I'll see how that goes before I attempt the bigger room.

Again, thanks!
gdoucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

Spraying VS Rolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoucette View Post
I'm in the process of finishing my basement and getting ready to prime and paint the new drywall. I have a power sprayer, but I've never used it on interior walls before, so I'm wondering if anyone here has comments about pros and cons re: spraying vs rolling for primer and finish coats? preferences? experiences?
If your spraying interior walls you will still need to back roll anyways, which is rolling out the walls during spraying, it will work the primer/paint in better and give you a more uniform finish, I would not spray in an occupied residence, there would be a lot of masking off to do, windows, doors, trim, floors, anything you don't want spray on, not to mention the spray could drift into other rooms
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

Spraying VS Rolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennyh View Post
IMHO, interior spraying is only worthwhile if you have no floor coverings, trim, etc and are working a large area . (new construction, some remodeling)

Secondly, is your sprayer capable of spraying unthinned heavy body acrylic paints and primers? Most homeowner sprayers can't.

Lastly do you have the experience to spray a consistent coating. Spraying looks easy but looks are deceiving. It takes skill and experience to spray a consistent paint film at the thickness the paint manufacturer's recommend. You can always spray and backroll/backbrush which saves time and helps with consistency.

Maybe these factors will help with your decision.

This is the crux of the matter.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote