Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Share |

spraying Thompson's water seal thru my airless

Hey Rik knows paint , will the Thompsons Water Sealer ruin the seals in my Spray Tech 1920

I am tired of pumping up the hand held sprayer

and just a thought ,what would happen if a sprayed TSP ??

kt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You should think twice before using Thompson's Water Seal. If you are lucky you will get one season out of it. It is a liquid wax based product (not totally unlike the cheap stuff you pay $1 extra for at the car wash) so you cannot finish through it and if it does not wear evenly you end up having to strip it off just like you would a waxed floor. If you can get it out of deck wood grain. It can encourage algae and mold growth and resulting discoloration and staining.

You would be much better of with a penetrating sealer, or a sealer and UV protective clear coat system.

A pump sprayer, sometimes chased by a pad, is the usual recommended method for applying sealers and at least semi-transparent stains. I am not sure you will get the coverage you are seeking through regular spray gear. And again, if you go with Thompson's you will have the wax issue in your spray system.

Last edited by user1007; 05-19-2013 at 05:20 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
kt82 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #3

I wouldn't use it in my airless sprayer. Butt I might consider a cheap Wagner buzz sprayer. And I agree about the Thompson's I feel you have a few better choices.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
kt82 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #4

I really do not know the answer to if it would ruin the seals,
I honestly would not waste my time and money on the product.
I knew better, but a guy on craigs list had a 5 gallon pail of it for $10. What the heck, I need 2 gallons and with 5 I can put on 2 coats. In 6 months the product is just gone and I need to redo it again. Is simply a small garden shed in my yard with stain grade T1-11.
I just regret using it in the first place.
I have many jobs out there, including a garden shed for a friend. I used sikkens on it and at 5 years old, would not even consider it time to redo it. I have many other projects running 6-7 years in the New Mexico sun and look great.

I pay $65 per gallon for sikkens, they have two quality levels and the flat finish is the cheap one, I do not use it.
Another product I will use is penofin. It is more reasonable at $35 per gallon, I buy a lot of rough sawn lumber, corbels, beams, columns and is what that store recommends.
Is also easer to find in my case.

I use a pump up sprayer to apply, but really am sorry you are using Thompsons water seal, should just be called Thompsons water.
kt82 (05-20-2013), user1007 (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #5

I've ran it through my pump once and no problems.
I used to be a Thompson hater too, but after many years maintaining decks I'm starting to re-think that.
Totally depends what you are trying to accomplish with the deck/ext wood.
The main complaint about it that it doesn't last long. Needs to be done annually at best. The thing is, semi-trans or semi- solids don't last long either. ( about 3 yrs average) and even if you stay on top of maintaince you will eventually have to strip the coating. This is partially because stains are designed to penetrate into the wood. So when you re-stain every few years its not long before you have peeling issues because you end up with stain sitting on top of the surface acting as a filmed coating or "paint". Stain is not paint, as not designed to be a film forming coating.

I'm starting to think these sealer products like Thompson are not so bad of a choice if preserving the wood is the main objective.
Yes, it goes away quickly, but that means it doesn't build up too much like so many other deck products do. And i believe stripping is somewhat harmful to wood. The expense of doing it more often is partially offset by the low cost of the product and its easy application.
Im not set on this idea, as I've only studied a couple decks done in this manner. If you wash and coat every year, Thompson will pretty much do what is says it will do: protect the wood.
If you start with a wax based product you can't change products without stripping. And some of the penetrating toners like Olympic are similarly not as bad about build up over time as standard semi-trans deck stains.
Long term deck maintainance is a big part of my business and I'm always looking for options.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
kt82 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #6

Thompson's Water Seal has to be reapplied MONTHLY...........it may be the worst wood treatment ever created.....seriously.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
kt82 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt82 View Post
Hey Rik knows paint , will the Thompsons Water Sealer ruin the seals in my Spray Tech 1920

I am tired of pumping up the hand held sprayer

and just a thought ,what would happen if a sprayed TSP ??
Not a whole lotta love in here for Thompsons Water Seal, huh? Too bad, it's not a horrible product - it just needs to be recognized for what it is and not be expected to do things it's incapable of.

To begin, it is not recommended for spray app other than a pump up garden sprayer. Would it hurt your airless to spray it? I don't think so (unless you didn't clean it properly afterwards). But more importantly, would it hurt the Thompsons? Possibly. I don't know this for certain, but I think the minimum pressure an airless is gonna crank out is capable of shearing this product into a less-than-optimum performance. That's not to say it will - but the mfr doesn't recommend it, so I wouldn't.

I don't know that Thompsons is a wax based product...Although they're pretty tight lipped about their formulation, I believe it to be a petrochemical resin that provides the repellency...and it is paintable (within a specific time frame) by both oil and latex coatings.

I also don't know if build up is a problem with multiple apps over a spanse of time. When you consider the original Thompsons is only about 8% solids (that means 92% of what's in the can, and ultimately on the surface, evaporates to leave the remaining 8% as film forming solids) - and spread over a surface area of about 250 square feet - the most film build that'd occur (before weather, expansion/contraction and wear would diminish the film) would only be about .5 mil thick (1/2 of 1/1000th of an inch).

In my opinion (not theirs), Thompsons Water Seal shouldn't be used on wood (especially not on decks or plywood). I believe it works best when applied to dense, vertical* concrete/masonry, brick or fabric. * Vertical, unless used as a concrete hardener/curing agent for newly poured concrete, such as garage floors, sidewalks or patio floors...

Spraying TSP isn't really advisable either...While many people throw a little TSP into their bucket to spray through the lines when cleaning, it must be neutralized by ample amounts of clean water. Keep in mind that a strong enough concentration of TSP can actually pit some metal surfaces. But the primary reason I wouldn't recommend spraying TSP is due to overspray and misting. Even at a more standard concentration, a TSP solution is capable of burning eyes and skin, plus neutralizing all the surfaces a TSP mist may actually settle on seems to be more trouble than what time may have been saved by applying it in a recommended way.

I hope that info is useful - but please keep in mind though that many of my comments regarding Thompsons are strictly conjecture...

Last edited by ric knows paint; 05-20-2013 at 01:06 AM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (05-20-2013), kt82 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #8

Funfool, I've tried on a few different occasions to pump spray clears and toners, with no luck, even with those supposedly designed to do so. Just seems to clog. What specific pump sprayer is it that you use, by brand and model number, if you know it? I have a job coming up where that would beneficial.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #9

thanks to all for the information . As always I should have been more specific.
I am sealing a limestone wall 20' x 100'
at least I did not get a bunch of "I don't knows"
kt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #10

Let me get this straight: you're trying to seal a 2000 sq ft limestone wall with Thompsons Water Seal? Seal against what exactly? I trust this is outdoors, yes?

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
JOATMON

If you need to spray, may I suggest a cheap HVLP sprayer? I've used mine for that purpose several times with no issues.

As for how good Thompson's is? Well...I think Ric stated it pretty accurately. Can't help but think this is like the Behr vs BM debate.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #12

'Seal Krete Original' is great for sealing masonry/rock. Will last longer than Thompson, and no problems at all to spray. It can also be a primer for latex paint
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-20-2013), ric knows paint (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #13

Thompsons Waterseal is a paraffin wax based product. The good and bad of it is the wax will repel water and oil long after it starts looking crappy so switching to a different product can lead to disaster until the wax has completely worn off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
Thompsons Waterseal is a paraffin wax based product. The good and bad of it is the wax will repel water and oil long after it starts looking crappy so switching to a different product can lead to disaster until the wax has completely worn off.
I'm curious....why do you say TWS is a paraffin wax based product?
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #15

No-one here has any idea of what's in those products, so forget the question...and the MSDS are no help either.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote