Spraying Kitchen Cabinets - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Spraying Kitchen Cabinets

I want to do a "touchup" kitchen rehab before we sell our house this coming spring. That would include painting the cabinets and installing new hardware. I have an inexpensive Craftsman 3 horsepower 1 gallon compressor that gets 3.7 SCFM at 40 PSI. I was thinking about taking the cabinets down, since they weren't installed so well anyway, setting up a quick and dirty spray booth in the garage, and spraying them for a nice finish. They've already been brush painted once, and the brush strokes are visible. I would want to sand them first and prime them correctly, so spraying seems to be the best and quickest option.

Is there a spray gun that would allow me to use the compressor I own? I won't need to make extremely long passes. Most of the guns I've seen want at least 4 SCFM, but I don't know how critical that is if I'm only painting cabinets. I would prefer to use latex, but I'll use anything if I can get a good finish and use my sprayer.

Will I get a comparable finish with a brush and additive to the paint? I know that's also an option. .

Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement

beautyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Spraying Kitchen Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyfish
I want to do a "touchup" kitchen rehab before we sell our house this coming spring. That would include painting the cabinets and installing new hardware. I have an inexpensive Craftsman 3 horsepower 1 gallon compressor that gets 3.7 SCFM at 40 PSI. I was thinking about taking the cabinets down, since they weren't installed so well anyway, setting up a quick and dirty spray booth in the garage, and spraying them for a nice finish. They've already been brush painted once, and the brush strokes are visible. I would want to sand them first and prime them correctly, so spraying seems to be the best and quickest option.

Is there a spray gun that would allow me to use the compressor I own? I won't need to make extremely long passes. Most of the guns I've seen want at least 4 SCFM, but I don't know how critical that is if I'm only painting cabinets. I would prefer to use latex, but I'll use anything if I can get a good finish and use my sprayer.

Will I get a comparable finish with a brush and additive to the paint? I know that's also an option. .

Thanks for the advice.

The conventional type sprayers you are looking at (as opposed to airless sprayers), are not great for spraying latex paint. They work better with thinner bodied oil paints,stains,and lacquers. To spray latex through one requires more thinning than latex paints can usually handle, and still perform well.

Also, your compressor is awfully small volume wise. Cup/gravity guns like your looking at don't need a lot of pressure, but they do need more volume than a 1ga to spray consistently. And using a too small compressor will run it too hard, and possibly burn it up.
There may be some HVLP units Better suited to spraying latex with a small compressor, I'm not very familiar with them.
You could maybe do the cabs with an oil enamel and a cup/gravity gun or hvlp to go with you compressor. But all in all, I wouldn't think spraying is your best option.

Also if the cabs already have brush strokes in them, it would take a lot of work to make them disappear. Probably More than just sand, prime, paint.
I usually remove the doors and paint the boxes on the wall. Taking the doors off helps the process whether your spraying or not. Taking the whole cabinet down, doesn't seem like it would help unless your spraying. Even then, seems like it could be awkward.

Consider rolling them. Not like you would roll a wall. There are small rollers'4-6inch, that work well for things like cabinets. And a lot of quality latex paints, like SW pro classic or BM Advance, will flow out well enough to look good rolled with the right roller.
I like to use the foam rollers for the tightest texture possible. But with existing brush stokes, a short nap 'Velour type roller might work better. You can get a variety of small rollers at SW.

I would take the doors off. Make a long table with saw horses or something, so you can lay several doors out horizontally to work on them. Sand, and prime if necessary, then paint them one side at a time. (Back side first). Paint the boxes on the wall.

Mini rollers are very handy. I carry several at all times when working. Pictured are a 4' velour, and a 6' foam.
Attached Thumbnails
Spraying Kitchen Cabinets-image-1886686153.jpg  

Advertisement

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote