Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Spraying doors with Graco Proshot

I bought a Proshot to spray my interior doors in our new house. Yesterday my dad sprayed seven of the doors. He said it took 2 1/2 gallons for one coat! That is using a 211 tip, BM Satin Impervo Waterborne. He said it took forever because he had to refill the cup so often. I am think he might be spraying too slow. I have watched videos on youtube of people spraying a door in 30 seconds with the proshot. Any thoughts? I have a 411 tip also, should I try that?

dhuston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

If he used that much paint they must be dripping pretty bad!

I don't have that gun, but I just can't see how that much paint could be used unless half ( or more) went into the air.

Spraying takes a bit of training and practice-

Again- i can't understand how you have anything but a mess on your hands, so don't know how to advise.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 626

photos please!
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,236

Good Lord! Usually I paint a door with less than a quart of paint no matter what the method.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,152

I could never imagine using that tiny gun with that small a cup to try and paint that many doors. Your going to spend more time cleaning up and filling the cup then painting.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuston View Post
I bought a Proshot to spray my interior doors in our new house. Yesterday my dad sprayed seven of the doors. He said it took 2 1/2 gallons for one coat! That is using a 211 tip, BM Satin Impervo Waterborne. He said it took forever because he had to refill the cup so often. I am think he might be spraying too slow. I have watched videos on youtube of people spraying a door in 30 seconds with the proshot. Any thoughts? I have a 411 tip also, should I try that?
The Graco Proshot works like an airless sprayer does using a piston pump. That is an excessive amount of paint to use on 7 doors, even spraying. You want to dial the sprayer in, so that you have the right amount of pressure, start out with low pressure and increase it until you have no more tails in your spray pattern. Keep your arm straight when spraying, keep the gun about 10 from the surface, move quick and smooth. Let off of the trigger after you pass the door and start the trigger before you hit the door. Some causes of excessive paint use while spraying are improper pressure, worn tip, moving to slow, holding the gun to far from the surface and using a wrong tip. A 211 should be fine for a door. A 411 will give you a 4 inch wider spray pattern than a 211.
It should only take a couple of seconds to spray one side of a door once.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

I have a PS FF and I too do not see how you can use that much material unless your doors are flooded or a lot of material was shot elsewhere. Got any pics?

The 211 would of sprayed a smaller fan than the 411 will, are the doors off the frame? How do you have them staged?
Old 03-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502
Question

Likely doesn't have anything to do with the excessive consumption but seems to me like a X11 tip is a bit small for latex. I shot the siding with a 415 using Morglo. Was afraid to go much lower than a X13 for fear of clogging.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote