Sprayers - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Sprayers

When I built my house last year, I never got around to painting the interior doors. My wife has been hounding me, so I guess I need to around to it. I think spraying would look better since the the doors are smooth textured.

I can get a slightly used airless Spray Tech 1720 for $175 from a guy on craigslist. Sounds like a deal to me. However, I'm also planning on staining a deck next spring. Doe airless sprayers do a good(better yet, are they capable) with stains? I've used them in the past, but always with latex paints.

Also, are the Wagner Pain Crew sprayer any good? I've seen mixed reviews.

Thanks,
Chris

Advertisement

Chris
poolecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 538

Sprayers

Yes, an airless sprayer can spray stains. You have to use the right tip and pressure according to what you will be spraying. Personally I prefer to brush deck stains over spraying, as the stain gets worked into the wood more and is more uniform.

Advertisement

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Sprayers

you can get refurb graco lts15 / x5 units on ebay for 170 shipped. for just doing doors i would recommend a graco truecoat. they are sold at most sherwin williams and are a kick ass handheld

http://www.graco.com/Internet/T_PDB....w/TrueCoatPlus

don't buy a wagner paint crew. they have WAY too short of a service life and are extremely easy to get the pressure valve stuck. they don't possess a true flush system for cleanup like a quality graco.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Sprayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolecw View Post
When I built my house last year, I never got around to painting the interior doors. My wife has been hounding me, so I guess I need to around to it. I think spraying would look better since the the doors are smooth textured.

I can get a slightly used airless Spray Tech 1720 for $175 from a guy on craigslist. Sounds like a deal to me. However, I'm also planning on staining a deck next spring. Doe airless sprayers do a good(better yet, are they capable) with stains? I've used them in the past, but always with latex paints.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris - for doing the doors I think a 1720 would be kinda like hunting rabbits with a bazooka. Personally, I would go with a HVLP. HVLP would do a nice job on the deck also except most homowner models are cup fed. Would need to refill quite often. You can avoid backbrushing though by doing several, 3 to 5, light coats. I have the Sprayteck 1420 I use for the exterior of house, garage, fences etc. large jobs. 1720 is even bigger. To do stain with a 1720 you would need to change from the supplied .017 tip to a .010-.012 tip and keep it moving.
Whatever you do, stay away from the Paint Crew. I'm normally a fan of Wagner products but that thing is neither fish nor fowl. It's not quite a high end homeowner/low end contractor machine nor is it for an average DIYer.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Sprayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolecw View Post

Thanks,
Chris
Yes, its always better to spray then back brush or roll. the best sprayers on the market, all-around choice (performance, durability, PRICE) are Titan pumps!

http://www.titantool.com/portal/loader.php
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Sprayers

Graco, Titan, Sprayteck = Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge = Porter Cable, DeWalt, Milwaukee---- all good, all got their fan club

Advertisement

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote