Sprayer For Kitchen Cabinets? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

Sprayer for Kitchen Cabinets?

My wife and I are planning to paint our kitchen cabinets white. I'd like to spray what I can for a better finish. What kind of sprayer should I look to purchase? I do have a 19 gallon Husky compressor with a moisture trap if that helps narrow down my choices.

Appreciate any input/guidance.

Advertisement

bitplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

What's your budget for the sprayer?I would not look for a spray gun to run off of the compressor.You'll get a quart cup and be constantly refilling and cleaning it.It is also hard to maneuver to spray the inside of the cabinets.I would get a stand alone airless.You will find countless uses for it down the road.
Graco and Titan are two good brands to look into without spending a lot of cash.

Advertisement

Last edited by mako1; 08-27-2015 at 11:02 AM.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (08-28-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
What's your budget for the sprayer?I would not look for a spray gun to run off of the compressor.You'll get a quart cup and be constantly refilling and cleaning it.It is also hard to maneuver to spray the inside of the cabinets.I would get a stand alone airless.You will find countless uses for it down the road.
Graco and Titan are two good brands to look into without spending a lot of cash.
Something like the Graco X5? There are some factory refurbs on EB.y for $220 shipped.

Last edited by bitplumber; 08-27-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 144

Sorry ,I can't comment on that.I owned a custom cabinet shop for 14 years and now do remodeling.I had very high end equipment in the cabinet shop .Now, doing remodeling I have owned a Graco and Titan sprayers but they are both more expensive units.I can tell you that they are good products with good customer service but can't speak on that specific model.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,034

The 5 will work, but you will need a different tip. They come with a .515 tip and that is too big for cabinets. Do you have experience spraying? If you do you can get by with a bigger tip such as a 413ff. if not go smaller for more control. I personally like the Fine Finish tips from Graco.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,336

You might want to rent the high end sprayer you need. You get the sprayer you need without the up front cost of a tool you won't be using too much in the future.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-29-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
The 5 will work, but you will need a different tip. They come with a .515 tip and that is too big for cabinets. Do you have experience spraying? If you do you can get by with a bigger tip such as a 413ff. if not go smaller for more control. I personally like the Fine Finish tips from Graco.
I have a little experience due to home projects. I did paint our house with a sprayer a few summers back and it turned out pretty nice. Thanks for the tip on the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You might want to rent the high end sprayer you need. You get the sprayer you need without the up front cost of a tool you won't be using too much in the future.
I don't mind spending $220 on a sprayer vs money spent on a rental as we have a number of projects we'd use it for down the road. Thanks for the idea though.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,336

I was talking about a Fuji might mite@ around $600. I'm not familiar with the other one.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,108

I would suggest a HVLP sprayer. You can get a good one for less than $100.

But you will need to thin the paint.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,034

The Hvlp may depend on what paint you plan on using, as stated will probably need thinning. Paints such as pro classic, advance and breakthrough do not take thinning it effects their leveling qualities and can give a streaked look.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 16

Instead of thinning paint, just use SHER-WOOD KEM Aqua Plus White

Instead of thinning paint, just use SHER-WOOD KEM Aqua Plus White. You can get it tinted to whatever shade you like (e.g., Whisper). It dries much faster than finishes designed for brushing and is very durable. Works great in an HVLP system.
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 8

Re: Instead of thinning paint, just use SHER-WOOD KEM Aqua Plus White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
Instead of thinning paint, just use SHER-WOOD KEM Aqua Plus White. You can get it tinted to whatever shade you like (e.g., Whisper). It dries much faster than finishes designed for brushing and is very durable. Works great in an HVLP system.
I am looking to repaint a cabinet with SW kem aqua plus and an hvlp sprayer. Can I use that product on a painted cabinet? Will the kem aqua plus primer work for priming? i know some say you can't use the products unless its bare wood but others seem to say they've used it for refinishing.
stickyfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 16

Re: Sprayer for Kitchen Cabinets?

KEM Aqua Plus is a very hard finish. I suspect that SW specifies its use on bare wood due to the difficulty of putting a hard finish over a soft finish.

I've used it over previously finished surfaces that were clean and well-sanded, but those surfaces have all been quite hard.
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2

I'm willing to spend up to $600 for new sprayer.
Can I spray KEM Aqua Plus with airless sprayer?
ngeorgieff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
KEM Aqua Plus is a very hard finish. I suspect that SW specifies its use on bare wood due to the difficulty of putting a hard finish over a soft finish.

I've used it over previously finished surfaces that were clean and well-sanded, but those surfaces have all been quite hard.
I used it over a factory finish a few weeks ago. It did a nice job. We'll see how durable it is. I'm pretty satisfied so far.

Advertisement

stickyfinger is offline   Reply With Quote