Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #1

Share |

spray tip leaks

What are some possible causes of my airless spray gun splattering after I release the trigger. The tip is very clean. I used it to prime and then i tried to spray with a high gloss paint and it leaked after trigger release. I used it before with satin exterior with no problems. I heard the high gloss paint can cause that but I am not sure. Any advice would be appreciated.
Mark

mcl6302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:24 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

spray tip leaks

most likely cause is that you are using too much pressure

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:47 AM   #3

spray tip leaks

Depending on the type of gun your using there might be a needle nut on top back side of your gun. Tighten it up just a little bit. Most inline guns have this type of adjustment. http://wwwd.graco.com/Distributors/DLibrary.nsf/Files/308645/$file/308645C.pdf

If your gun is not of this type and has no needle adjustment, you might try and tighten up the needle nut on the front of your gun. If all else fails then you might want to look into buying a inline gun as so you will have more options. Good Luck

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #4

spray tip leaks

Some guns have the nut on the back which you can back-off if it is too tight. Also some guns have 2 rods that slide back and forth as the trigger is pulled and released. Sometimes they need to be cleaned and oiled so when you release the trigger the rods slide back smoothly. Good luck
waynech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
Painting Company, NY

spray tip leaks

If its leaking around the guard, Un screw the guard an clean the threads, check the seal inside of the guard to make sure its seated all of the way and not worn out. check and clean or change the filter in the had le and make sure that the seal in the handle is seated and not wore out. . This has happened to me occasionally and its usually just been that the threads and inside of the guard need to be cleaned, screwed on tight and straight, but not over tightened.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Sprayboy-services.com

spray tip leaks

There should be a rubber gasket in the guard for latex paints and a nylon gasket for oil. This may need replacing.
Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #7

spray tip leaks

Your needle and/or seat may be wore out too.

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself! ArmchairDIY.com
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

spray tip leaks

You might be shutting your paint stroke down to abruptly and not allowing it to finish? You have to allow some air after each stroke to keep the nozzle clear. All other advice here is good too so far. Have you tried a different tip? Could have a micro crack in the housing or a strip in the threads of the thing. Would not be the first time such a thing has happened. As also hinted in a prior post, you didn't go crazy and torque the tip on King Kong like to try and fix this did you? In the airbrush World it would be a bad needle forced too hard into the tip.

Last edited by user1007; 11-18-2009 at 01:19 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote