Spray Stations / Sprayers - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Spray Stations / Sprayers

I am looking into getting an Earlex 5500. Has anyone got any experience with it?

Also, what other sprayers do you recommend? Any particular great ones out there at reasonable prices that can be used for all types of paint and varnishes?

Not afraid to read reviews or watch videos either if you have some recommendations. I did watch some on the Earlex 5500 and was quite impressed but do want to compare.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Rob Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is it bigger than a bread box?

Might help if you shared what you plan to spray. Where, when, why. Typical first year PR journalism training.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

It a out the size of a bread of maybe a little bigger. It is very light weight though. I got one and used it this weekend and I'm just impressed. Anyway it felt a little flimsy and it is tedious to clean. Don't save much time overall. Ecause of the cleaning but...... There was little to no overspray, didn't have to mask off the whole room to stain the Cabinets indoors. The finish I'd so much better than with a brush or pad. And I sure looked cool out there with my paint sprayer. I took a video of me doing one of the drawers. The file was set really low so I could really detail the color I wanted. Cant wait for the weather to change so I can do the fence.

I wish I knew how to upload pics I'd show u a before and after.
Comcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comcneil
It a out the size of a bread of maybe a little bigger. It is very light weight though. I got one and used it this weekend and I'm just impressed. Anyway it felt a little flimsy and it is tedious to clean. Don't save much time overall. Ecause of the cleaning but...... There was little to no overspray, didn't have to mask off the whole room to stain the Cabinets indoors. The finish I'd so much better than with a brush or pad. And I sure looked cool out there with my paint sprayer. I took a video of me doing one of the drawers. The file was set really low so I could really detail the color I wanted. Cant wait for the weather to change so I can do the fence.

I wish I knew how to upload pics I'd show u a before and after.
Oh I used the graco 3900
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Truly amazing. No overspray whatsoever. I am off to buy five.Or is there a tell a friend special where I get 2 for 1 at Lowe's in the plastic Chinese crap department?Just currious, in the first video you floated you painted outdoors and stressed being able to spray with one hand. That sold me because when I spray I find myself gripping an airless nozzle on a piece of $600 equipment with both hands. The Graco 3900 delivers the same performance in an under $100 plastic machine. Quit jerking people on this site around. You are trying to sell a toy and people have better uses for their money. 3psi max? Give me a break.

Last edited by user1007; 01-30-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,290

HVLP sprayers are wonderful---I don't know anything about the brand you mentioned.

My suggestion is to buy a brand that has parts available locally---
If you have equipment failure on a project--you want a gun that can be fixed NOW--
Not an off brand that needs mail order parts.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Oh'mike. Your car need refinishing? May I suggest the Graco 3900? With a maximum pressure of 3psi it produces no overspray whatsoever. You can pinstripe with the thing with no need to mask anything off. It is so fast and so wonderful you could paint your neighbor's car. And Oh'Mike if you tell a friend, we will knock the price of this amazing spray painting system down to under $50. Don't worry about spare parts. This sprayer is designed to last a lifetime. Just set it and forget it.

I say again, we are being SPAMMED and people on this site do not deserve to be tempted into buying plastic crap like this.

Last edited by user1007; 01-30-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
DIY staff

And I think someone has discovered the joys of HVLP spraying

and doesn't realize that there are much better set ups out there--

Ones that are adjustable--add a perfect layer of finish at the proper flow rate.

I just don't see this as spam--simply a newbie with her first spray unit
and proud of her refinished cabinets.

Call me naive and trusting----Mike--
DIY-Her (09-24-2013)
Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #9

I'm sry if I offended y'all. I am a true new diy lady. Didn't pay full price because it was on the Clarence rack at lowes and would not pay a bunch of money for something thy I'll use once a year in a fence. If you took the time to look at my other videos I am a dog person. Not a builder, contractor, painting professional....I found something I liked and thought I'd share. Thanks for the warm welcome. Instead of criticizing try posting a product that you think is better and lets keep this thing positive. Yep it's plastic but I'm not a big lady and finding something that I can walk aroun the fence with an not be tired was a big plus for me. I take care I my toys so I'm not worried about the plastic thing.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
Oh'mike. Your car need refinishing? May I suggest the Graco 3900? With a maximum pressure of 3psi it produces no overspray whatsoever. You can pinstripe with the thing with no need to mask anything off. It is so fast and so wonderful you could paint your neighbor's car. And Oh'Mike if you tell a friend, we will knock the price of this amazing spray painting system down to under $50. Don't worry about spare parts. This sprayer is designed to last a lifetime. Just set it and forget it.

I say again, we are being SPAMMED and people on this site do not deserve to be tempted into buying plastic crap like this.
You went through all that and still didn't tell me what I should have , could have or would have used that would fit what I did better.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
DIY staff

I looked at your video and liked the results---

Those HVLP units are a wonderful product--

Your spraying told me that your unit could use a bit of adjusting--the amount of finish it was applying
was a little light--(more finish with fewer passes is typical)

I have had good experiences with Graco tools---I never saw the little unit you have
but I'll bet it can be adjusted up to add more finish.

I have a big 2-stage blower with a rather pricey gun---
I build cabinets and need a tough high end unit---

Please don't be discouraged by your first experience here---
That fellow who was not kind is truly a highly skilled and decent member

He just thought you were advertising and went the wrong way with you.

Stick around---and keep up the informative posts---Mike---
Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #12

Thanks a bunch. I read the instructions and figured out how to change the spray volume. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
DIY staff

When set up properly they are great---I was so glad to retire my old style sprayer--

The airborne mist is so minor with the HVLP sprayers--
More product on the wood--less in the air---

Do learn the best way to keep that new unit clean--
I've ruined some parts over the years with my careless cleaning.

Graco is one of the two top names in spraying tools---

They make nice machines--I hope that little unit works well for you.--Mike---
Old 01-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morgan View Post
I am looking into getting an Earlex 5500. Has anyone got any experience with it?

Also, what other sprayers do you recommend? Any particular great ones out there at reasonable prices that can be used for all types of paint and varnishes?

Not afraid to read reviews or watch videos either if you have some recommendations. I did watch some on the Earlex 5500 and was quite impressed but do want to compare.

Thanks!
Never heard of the brand you mentioned. I own two Graco sprayers currently and love them. When I'm spraying fine finishes such as polyurethanes or oils I really like to use an auto body gun. The adjustment on the fan, air & tip are precise and the finishes are flawless.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #15

Wow..... seemed to get a bit heated in here! I really appreciate everyone sharing about their sprayers, even if we don't all agree. I don't see it as Spam either - I personally like to hear about other options. I was somewhat set on the Earlex HVLP - saw good reviews and videos on them. Never heard of Graco but just was made aware of the Apollo sprayers. I don't know anything about that one either, so if any of you have used them and can comment, I'd love to hear. I think they run in about the same price range as the Earlex. Not sure how the Graco compares with either of these in quality and price. I am just as new at this as Comcneil... btw, don't let people discourage you!

So, looking forward to hearing some input!

Advertisement

Rob Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote