To Spray/power Roll? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2006, 11:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

to spray/power roll?

We have a lot of drywall (smooth walls with light ceiling texture) to paint. Should we spray or power roll? Also, how much time do you really save in comparison to a regular roll... you can use a small example, lets say it'll take 2 hours to roll 150 sq.ft. and it'll be 30 minutes to spray/power roll (this is actual paint time... not counting waiting for the paint to dry or cleaning).

I love painting and have a decent steady hand (love to see the transforming colors) but I'm not a big strong girl, so that's why I'm thinking of going the sprayer for all white primer and then power roll for the finish route (light colors like yellow, purple, sage, tan, etc).

It seems like many of the pro would spray the primer and then backroll and then roll the paint. Some dislikes the power roller and just use a regular roller. Should we backroll for all method with a regular roller? My husband and I will be working on this project.

If you spray are the rental ones pretty good. They say it's $80/day to rent plus the tip for an airless. Kind of high. But it's less than buying a professional sprayer for a day use. The roller we were going to buy a Wagner. The 990 seems to have good reviews as long as you clean it right.

After reading many forums, it seems like BH, SW, or Pittsburg are good brands. Seems like more BH and Pittsburg positive reviews. And definately not Behrs.

Any comments?
Thanks!!

Advertisement

putri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

to spray/power roll?

If the house is un-occupied and has no furniture, it may be worth it to rent a sprayer
Those rental rates are typical
Do all your prep, and I mean all of it, ahead of time

If you are planning to roll the top coats, it's not worth renting the sprayer
Just roll the primer too

If the house is occupied, or has any furniture, it's not worth it either
Also, unless you are pretty experienced with the sprayer and prep, spraying will not save you any time over rolling
The prep is intense, and the potential for disaster is high

If you are just painting say, a remodeled basement it's not worth renting a sprayer
It really has to be the whole house to be worth it

The production numbers you posted for a power roller are not even close to accurate
In professional hands it's possible to lower production rates
Not for an occasional user with a low quality tool
Also you must figure in an enormous amount of clean up time
IMO, not worth the money spent for the investment, although out of the many I know that have tried them, there are maybe one or two that had success or might suggest using them
Most I know that have used them would not use them again, or recommend them

Please keep in mind Wagner products are marketed to DIYers to use for one project then sit on a shelf in the garage, Wagner doesn't really care if it helps or not, as most DIYers don't know it's not supposed to take that long or be that difficult
In most cases there are better and cheaper solutions, or it's worth it to step up to some real equipment (even for a DIYer)
There are good power rollers out there, they are expensive and have their uses

If you have many color changes for the top coats it's definitely not a good investment for your project, as the clean-up to switch colors is extremely time consuming

Any of the premium lines (they all make cheapos too) from BM. SWP, or Pitt would be fine

How much (sq. ft.) are we talking about?
The whole house?

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:45 PM   #3

to spray/power roll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift
The production numbers you posted for a power roller are not even close to accurate
In professional hands it's possible to lower production rates
Not for an occasional user with a low quality tool
Thank you for the answer but I am confused on the above. What are you talking about? You referring to my sq.ft. and the amount of time it takes to do paint? If yes, I just pulled those numbers out of my bottom as an example.

I painted our 14x14 bedroom in 3 hours more less. I got blisters on my hands and I was aching, but love the result. I'm hoping the sprayer and/or roller will help my time.

This will be a whole house, about 1800 sq.ft. and the downstairs is pretty open space. No furniture. We will also paint the garage... it's our test site and the floor will be all covered up since the flat work has been done.

If you spray the whole house, prime and top coat, with back rolling, will it look as nice as spraying primer, backrolling, and rolling the top coat?

Most of the house will be white, least the downstairs. there is a 2' tall and 13' wide kitchen wall (the top of the cabinets) that I want to color and I can just use a regular roller for that (the cabinets will be installed after I paint). The upstairs, I want colors for my daughter's room, our bedroom and maybe the two bathrooms - not sure. But mostly white.

I read somewhere in the contractor's forum that some painters use a power roll. Those who likes it said it's pretty good. With the Wagner, I think once we're done with this project we'll be done with the sprayer. It'll be worth the $$ I think if I don't get blisters. I have a husband but he hates painting/rolling. He'll be spraying.

I am kind of excited to paint... beats doing insulation (most boring thing)!!!
Old 07-15-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

to spray/power roll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by putri
You referring to my sq.ft. and the amount of time it takes to do paint? If yes, I just pulled those numbers out of my bottom as an example.
Ah, I see
Quote:
I painted our 14x14 bedroom in 3 hours more less. I got blisters on my hands and I was aching, but love the result. I'm hoping the sprayer and/or roller will help my time.
That's a good rate
The spraying won't reduce that
The prep is intense, and the machine takes a learning curve
A pro with a sprayer might shave a bit off that, but not a DIYer
Seriously, you're pretty quick
If you are looking for work let me know

Quote:
I read somewhere in the contractor's forum that some painters use a power roll.
Not many
Many more have tried and ditched it
Quote:
It'll be worth the $$ I think if I don't get blisters.
Lol...
It's hard on the wrist instead
It's always something

Honestly you are quick enough by hand I really can't recommend buying some equipment that most likely won't increase your rates or quality
Whichever you choose though, I hope it works out for you
Old 07-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #5

to spray/power roll?

Thanks for the time you have spent in replying to my posts. Thanks for the job offer too but man, I really hate the blisters !!! I'll do it for our house but nobody else's unless some new gadget comes out.

When I start painting I have this "I'm on a mission" attitude. I'll have all the tools I need and an imaginary timer. So it's like a race. I hardly take breaks and I just get it done. That's probably why I get the blisters. BUT, I'd be so happy after I get done and I'd be admiring my work (hardly any splatters on the floor and pretty decent straight lines for an amateur with no tape) with paint all over me. Then I feel more like the room belongs to me

Ok, we'll see what happens. We'll give you an update and some pics.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

to spray/power roll?

Interesting
My only question is:
Can you start Monday?
I have band-aids....I'll buy you some Mechanix gloves...

....I'll double what you are making painting right now

Old 07-16-2006, 01:34 AM   #7

to spray/power roll?

I don't do it for a living

I tried to get my husband to pay me (for the 1000 sq.ft. I've done) but he refused. BUT, no painting for a fee for somebody else! Not even for a $100/hr. I'm a 5'3" and 105 lbs girl. I'd be skin and bones if I do too much labor work!!! I can't get blisters and have somebody else enjoy my work ! I'd do it for Habitat for Humanity though.

Painting is an art. There are many very good painters out there who have had years of experience. I'm just an amateur but wouldn't mind getting good at it. I mean it's a handy tool to have as a home owner. I just love painting for myself; I'd hate doing it for others and the results wouldn't be so good. I've always loved to color since I was a little girl... won a coloring contest in 2nd grade
Old 07-18-2006, 02:53 PM   #8

to spray/power roll?

If all the prep work is done on the walls, any and all repairs, the floor is swept clean with minimal dust, everything is masked off then I would be tempted to tag team it, rent a sprayer, have one person apply the primer and the other backroll with an 18" & a 9" 3/8" soft woven purdy roller covers. So even if you are a bad sprayer it won't matter because everything is being backrolled. Just make sure you use a large tip at least a 621 (anyone at the paint store will tell you what that is....I hope). I am assuming you are doing two tone and if that is true either the same day or the next day I would spray a coat on all of the ceilings and closets with your partner and have them backroll.

For the walls I would just brush and roll using an 18" roller. This is much more efficient thatn using and dealing with the DIY power rollers. There are professional power rollers that are fantastic but nobody rents those and you won't want to spend $1,300 for a good pump and roller.

Hopefully that helped some. Email me if you have any other questions.

Oh, and with the 18" roller get a 4ft metal or fiberglass pole so you don't get blisters on your hands. HAVE FUN!
toddscustompainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
The Flying Toolbox

Rewards Points: 25

to spray/power roll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddscustompainting
If all the prep work is done on the walls, any and all repairs, the floor is swept clean with minimal dust, everything is masked off then I would be tempted to tag team it, rent a sprayer, have one person apply the primer and the other backroll with an 18" & a 9" 3/8" soft woven purdy roller covers. So even if you are a bad sprayer it won't matter because everything is being backrolled. Just make sure you use a large tip at least a 621 (anyone at the paint store will tell you what that is....I hope). I am assuming you are doing two tone and if that is true either the same day or the next day I would spray a coat on all of the ceilings and closets with your partner and have them backroll.

For the walls I would just brush and roll using an 18" roller. This is much more efficient thatn using and dealing with the DIY power rollers. There are professional power rollers that are fantastic but nobody rents those and you won't want to spend $1,300 for a good pump and roller.

Hopefully that helped some. Email me if you have any other questions.

Oh, and with the 18" roller get a 4ft metal or fiberglass pole so you don't get blisters on your hands. HAVE FUN!
Todd's on the money with your type of project. Tag team when priming the whole house (spraying and back-rolling), and just roll and brush the finish coat.

Spraying:
This can save you loads of time, but it depends on how much prep work you need to do. The spraying part doesn't take any time at all. For a 14x14 room it will only take about 5-10 minutes, and another 15-20 to backroll with a 18" roller (use Purdy rollers as Todd suggests). Though all the time is prep and cleanup, but if your just priming a whole house (walls and ceiling) it's worth it! Especially if it's new construction, and you don't have to be too conserned about protecting floors and fixtures. Todd is correct about the spray tip size for latex primer, but most rental stores won't have a tip this large for the sprayers they carry. The typical size is 517, and it will work OK. Especially if you aren't conserned about finish because your back rolling. However, you can get better sprayers from paint stores, such as Hallman Lindsay, that can support a 621 tip.

Using airless sprayers can be a first-time DIY task, but here are a couple of things to keep in mind:
  1. There is a lot of overspray, because the nozzle pressure is very high (several thousand PSI). So much so, that it can get to the point where it can be hard to see, if your painting inside.
  2. Because of the above, you need to use a resperator and other personal protection. I would wear full disposable painting coveralls!
  3. Keep the pump as far away from your spraying as possible. Get at least a 50' hose. This can aid in your cleanup.
  4. Follow the directions that come with the sprayer, and get some tips from the place you rent it! It may be the same stuff you get here, it may not.
Rolling:
The key to reducing fatique and blisters while rolling is to use an extension pole of some type. Even a broom handle screwed into the roller handle is better than nothing. The extension is not just for reaching high places, but to use leverage to put more pressure on the roller without much effort on your part.

For the finish coats, an 18" roller will reduce fatique, but it may not save time, and you may never use this large a roller ever again! Though you may! Depending on your situation, you could just use a standard 9" roller. this will come in handy when doing the finish coats, because you can dump several gallons of the same color into a 5 gallon bucket with a painting screen, and go to town. The painting is quick because you never have to refill a roller tray, and the odds off color consistancy are better because your mixing several individual gallons of paint together.

BTW, if you want to keep the sprayer for a significant amount of time, you can buy a used one on eBay, and then sell it when your done! If you keep it clean, you will probably only be out the cost of shipping. I've seen entry level Wagner airless sprayers (which Iv'e used with pretty good success) with 50' hose and power roller attachment go for only $220.

Hope all this helps!
handypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:44 PM   #10

to spray/power roll?

Should first timers even use a sprayer? A lot of thing can go bad if you don't know what to do. I've seen some horror stories. I know this is a diy forum but rolling is probably your best bet.
SgtBaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:34 PM   #11

Thumbs up

to spray/power roll?

Thank you guys!! I will keep all those in mind. Actually I'll have all these instructions with me when we're getting ready to paint. The sprayer I'm going to be using is a Graco. I can't remember the serial # but it's suppose to be in the $700 range when I looked it up the other day. I'll ask the rental about the tip. A friend also has one, so we're going to go check it out to see what kind he's got. He used it for the house he built and his house looked pretty good (knock down walls and ceiling).

My husband got us some white monkey suits... the painter type. He got it free from his work. We both have construction glasses. Should we buy goggles?

It's been in the 100's the last few days. Our sheetrock guys are behind cause of it. Next weekend will be it. From what you said, 14x14 in 30 minutes (spraying and rolling) we think we can get the the house done in a weekend. We're just doing white for the most part. We'll have color on one kitchen wall and a 2.5-year-old bedroom.

Thanks again!! If there are anymore tips, just keep them coming!!!

Advertisement