Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Spray painting wood siding

Can anyone provide info on spray painting wood siding. Just constructed a small cottage and would like to spray ( stain) the board&baton siding. Have a compressor. Not sure if the inexpensive spray guns are appropriate as well as the size of the holding tanks??

Martshandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #2

I think it might be easier to rent an airless sprayer. It's probably going to run you about $75.. You can spray out of a 5 gallon bucket. Also there is no thinning required. Good Luck.

waynech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #3

A compressor-run cup gun is not going to work to spray a house.

If it is a small cottage, I think a sprayer would be more trouble than it is worth. For a quality job, you have to back-brush or roll what the sprayer lays down anyway.

If you are set on spraying, then yes, renting a sprayer is your best bet.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Years ago I inherited a "paint pot" from my father-in-law. It held 2 or 3 gallons of paint, had hoses and gun, and hooked to a compressor. Fairly low pressure too, as I remember, so a large compressor wasn't necessary. (Since you have one already.) I personally never used it, but my neighbor borrowed it to paint his house. It worked. I do remember a lot of paint "in the atmosphere" (waste). You can still buy a paint pot for $60.00 - $75.00 from Harbor Freight and Sears also, I believe. It would work for your project. Worth making the purchase?? If you have more and larger painting projects looming in your future, I'd invest in a decent airless. I bought one to paint my mother-in-law's house (dad passed) and never even thought about the paint pot. I spent around $500.00 on a Wagner that will do all the panting I'll ever need and my boys will probably get some use out of it after I'm gone. (I don't paint for a living.) There are less expensive "homeowner" models that would be worth looking into for $200.00 or so on sale that might fit your needs. The "cup" gun is definitely NOT the way to go....
Old 03-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #5

Sirwired, what is it about sprayed on paint that requires it to be back brushed? How does that help? Just curious? Also, and I don't want to high jack the thread but I see references here to a paint called C2. I can figure out the BM and SW but C2?

Last edited by Mike in Arkansas; 03-28-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

The spraying alone does not force the stain deep enough into the wood
It will need to be back-brushed

A cup sprayer hooked up to a compressor is the wrong kind of sprayer for this application

As it's a small cottage, I can't imagine it'd be beneficial to spray, the prep is intense and the chance for disaster is high
And there is a bit of a learning curve
Unless someone's done it a few times and has a system down (or it's a rough stucco that can't be brushed or something) it's almost never any faster to spray for the DIYer

If for some reason you feel this project needs spraying, then rent an airless

C2 is a brand of paint
It's Canadian
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #7

When sprayed back brushing is highly recommended especially with stains. Back brush works the finish into the pores of the wood rather then leaving a spray that sits on the surface. Back brushing will help the overall performance of the product you choose. Good Luck.

BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote