Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Spray painting a metal front door - what paint??

I have an entry door to my house which is one those standard white panel metal doors with a factory finish. Mine is showing age and needs a recoat. I want a nice smooth finish like it has so I want to spray it on. I have a variety of paint guns in the shop, HVLP guns ( I use for painting machinery and stuff), Airless sprayer( too big for this as it takes a quart just to prime it!) and one of them Wagner airless hand held paint guns.

Now I just want to paint the one side so all I'd need is a pint of paint.

I don't imagine I can buy a tinted color in an oil base paint anymore at a hardware store?? As that would be pretty quick and easy with my HVLP spray and just do it in my work shop.

Acrylic latex ... is that the way to go? I know my big airless sprayer, sprays that no problem but like I mentioned I'd spent more time cleaning it and waste a lot of paint in the proccess for a 2 minute paint job.

I have that Wagner painter and it does work not bad (will spray latex without thinning but sometimes it likes to spit gobs out when you least expect it which is not a big deal on walls but on a metal door like this is a not good! If I go with Acrylic with my HLVP I'd have to thin it down some even with a my 2.0 MM tip. I've heard its not good to thin latex paint. I may end up just using that Wagner paint gun ... and bieng super carefull as to get the color my wife wants I think I have to stay with latex products.

Last edited by hayman; 07-09-2012 at 03:12 AM.
hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Benjamin Moore Impervo is still available here in an oil based finish. Water based two. That is what I would use but you will probably have to get a quart. I doubt you can get a custom tinted pint.

I would get some Penetrol if oil and Floetrol if latex acrylic to go with it to help it flow through the sprayer although it will be fine on its own.

Unless the door is off, seems like a lot of work to tape and mask everything around it to spray just a front surface?

If you have the equipment, you could also use an auto finish in the color of your choice. I guess. It might offer better exterior UV protection.

To be honest, if intent on spraying, you could probably do the door with a couple rattle cans of Krylon and not have to drag the equipment out and clean it up after?

Don't forget to at least spot prime if it is scratched up or the metal is likely to oxidize up through the paint.

Last edited by user1007; 07-09-2012 at 06:01 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (09-22-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

No matter how you paint it- good prep is insurance the paint will stay on.
Scuff sand, clean, and even use a bonding primer first.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Hi - If just for one side of one door, I'd be inclinded to just go with a rattle can of Rustoleum or Krylon. You can get them in virtually any color and, I've found that one of those trigger spray attachments help a LOT in getting a good finish with them.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Benjamin Moore Impervo is still available here in an oil based finish. Water based two. That is what I would use but you will probably have to get a quart. I doubt you can get a custom tinted pint.

I would get some Penetrol if oil and Floetrol if latex acrylic to go with it to help it flow through the sprayer although it will be fine on its own.

Unless the door is off, seems like a lot of work to tape and mask everything around it to spray just a front surface?

If you have the equipment, you could also use an auto finish in the color of your choice. I guess. It might offer better exterior UV protection.

To be honest, if intent on spraying, you could probably do the door with a couple rattle cans of Krylon and not have to drag the equipment out and clean it up after?

Don't forget to at least spot prime if it is scratched up or the metal is likely to oxidize up through the paint.

No I would just take the door off and work on it in my shop, I have an area I use for painting so its not a big deal. This door is not reallly an "outside" door, I have a little unheated and unlocked porch you walk into first then go through this door. So I could just take it off and paint it no problem. thanks

Last edited by hayman; 07-09-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
keeping things simple

Rewards Points: 75

I'm painting my metal door too. Thing is I've sanded it right down to the metal in some spots (corners mostly) ... the rest has original primer plus a layer of latex ( I think). I tried covering those bare metal spots with a latex all surface primer but it didn't stick so well... I could easily scratch it off with my finger nail.

So now I'm thinking I should try an oil based primer for those bare metal areas. Is this a good idea? The oil based primer does not specify metal surface anywhere on the can but is says for all surfaces.

The reason I hesitate is that if the paint doesn't dry real hard then my weather stripping around the door will stick to the paint on the door over time. That's what happened the last time I painted this door... the paint didn't seem to harden enough and reacted with the rubber weather stripping and the paint stuck to and ruined the weather stripping. I have some new weather stripping so I'd like to get it right this time. Always enough time to do it over it seems

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of going balistic and sanding down just a half inch around the perimeter of the door where the weather stripping will come in contact with the door... then prime that with an auto body primer and then put on my latex top coat.

Is that a worse idea?

I'm stumped.
frankm1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #7

That's the problem with latex paint it takes a couple months to harden up good. I painted an outside door with latex in June ... took till sometime in August I'd say till it was pretty hard. It looks great and is fine now though.
The Following User Says Thank You to hayman For This Useful Post:
frankm1960 (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,236

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm1960 View Post
I'm painting my metal door too. Thing is I've sanded it right down to the metal in some spots (corners mostly) ... the rest has original primer plus a layer of latex ( I think). I tried covering those bare metal spots with a latex all surface primer but it didn't stick so well... I could easily scratch it off with my finger nail.

So now I'm thinking I should try an oil based primer for those bare metal areas. Is this a good idea? The oil based primer does not specify metal surface anywhere on the can but is says for all surfaces.

The reason I hesitate is that if the paint doesn't dry real hard then my weather stripping around the door will stick to the paint on the door over time. That's what happened the last time I painted this door... the paint didn't seem to harden enough and reacted with the rubber weather stripping and the paint stuck to and ruined the weather stripping. I have some new weather stripping so I'd like to get it right this time. Always enough time to do it over it seems

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of going balistic and sanding down just a half inch around the perimeter of the door where the weather stripping will come in contact with the door... then prime that with an auto body primer and then put on my latex top coat.

Is that a worse idea?

I'm stumped.
An old painter's trick is to apply a lightweight oil such as 3-in-1 to the weather stripping once your door is nice and dry. It is basically clear and as long as your door is not white won't show up on the door's finish. Might not be an ideal solution to keeping the weather stripping from sticking but it has worked for me over the years. Just pour some on an old rag and wipe it on the WS.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
frankm1960 (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
An old painter's trick is to apply a lightweight oil such as 3-in-1 to the weather stripping once your door is nice and dry. It is basically clear and as long as your door is not white won't show up on the door's finish. Might not be an ideal solution to keeping the weather stripping from sticking but it has worked for me over the years. Just pour some on an old rag and wipe it on the WS.
That or WD-40 or linseed oil work for me
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
frankm1960 (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
keeping things simple

Rewards Points: 75

That gave me an idea to maybe spray silicon on the WS as another option to oil. I've used it on my vinyl windows to overcome friction and my car door rubber seals so they don't stick when moisture gets on them in winter and freezes.

I went balistic on my door and scraped it down to the metal just around the edges where the WS touches. I applied some oil based primer this time. If that don't work I will buy a new door

frankm1960 is offline   Reply With Quote