Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Spray Painting Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Hi everyone,

We are starting a spray painting project. We've cleaned the surface but don't want to sand the surface. This is simply too much work for us.

I was told that we could simply apply primer and then the final paint.

If so, then do I need to thin the primer and paint? Paint is an internal paint bought from HD.

Thanks

suncowiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

The too much work part, is what i call insurance. A scuff sand on a clear finish is almost a must no matter what the primer.
But you are getting your paints from HD- Hopefully you
are using a zinsseer primer, not behr.
And personally i wouldn't expect much from a behr top coat. I'd use Bm or Sw- both have superior products for wood. There are others too.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sunco, I'll back up what brushjockey said. I would, at the very least, scuff sand with 150 grit paper the areas that are prone to heavy use. I can assure you that it won't be too extensive. Since your primary bond will be your primer, don't skimp and buy off brand. Buy Zinsser-- 123, cover stain, BIN, etc. Using a qaulity finish will also ensure a good bond of your topcoat to your primer. Cabinetry requires primers and finishes that can perform and have a good track record doing so.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 150

Hey suncow,
If you want to paint your cabinets with your easy approach attitude (not sanding, thinning the primer) then I guess what we as professional painters have been doing all these years have been just plain foolishness. As professional painters we do these things not because they are easy but because they are the correct way to do the project. You can approach your project with your shortcuts and I’m sure we’ll hear from you again about steps needed to correct peeling paint on kitchen cabinets. Sounds to me like you’re looking for approval for poor judgment.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spraygunn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-24-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 03:39 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,102

As already posted, sanding is a must, not an option, thinning is rarely if ever necessary.I will not even comment on HD paints
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygunn View Post
Im sure well hear from you again about steps needed to correct peeling paint on kitchen cabinets. Sounds to me like youre looking for approval for poor judgment.
How was it that we say that, oh yeah----"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS
Old 09-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

JS- arm must be gettin tired from patting yourself on the back for that one ! lol
jsheridan (09-25-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #8

Suncow, painting kitchen cabinets is a highly detailed, difficult, and lengthy process. That is if you want them to not only look good but last as well. I've seen many bad cabinet jobs, some pro some ho, and the one thing they have in common is the amount of work that went into them--too little. Either the customer shopped on price or they did it themselves and didn't know what they were doing. If you do them right, they're not easy and they're not quick. One of my paint store guys says that kitchen cabinets are one of the only things he discourages HO's from doing DIY. The cabinets in a kitchen are probably the central element, and if they look crappy, so will the kitchen. If they look great, they'll pull the rest of it up. I'm not trying to scare you or discourage you, I'm simply trying to emphasize that you're tackling an ambitious project, and that you're going to get out of it what you put into it. If you're interested in doing them right, you're in the right place. We're here to help you, and they will look great if your handy and can follow our instructions. Can you please detail for us what your plan of action is? How are you planning to lay the job out and what steps are involved?
Thanks
Joe
Old 09-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #9

It laid up so perfectly. Spraygunn's shot just missed the net, so I just had to tap it in. lol
Old 09-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Suncow, painting kitchen cabinets is a highly detailed, difficult, and lengthy process. That is if you want them to not only look good but last as well. I've seen many bad cabinet jobs, some pro some ho, and the one thing they have in common is the amount of work that went into them--too little. Either the customer shopped on price or they did it themselves and didn't know what they were doing. If you do them right, they're not easy and they're not quick. One of my paint store guys says that kitchen cabinets are one of the only things he discourages HO's from doing DIY. The cabinets in a kitchen are probably the central element, and if they look crappy, so will the kitchen. If they look great, they'll pull the rest of it up. I'm not trying to scare you or discourage you, I'm simply trying to emphasize that you're tackling an ambitious project, and that you're going to get out of it what you put into it. If you're interested in doing them right, you're in the right place. We're here to help you, and they will look great if your handy and can follow our instructions. Can you please detail for us what your plan of action is? How are you planning to lay the job out and what steps are involved?
Thanks
Joe

aaahh a real poet now
Old 09-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
aaahh a real poet now
In at least one trade, those would be one and the same
Old 09-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #12

Here are the steps that I was planning to take and have taken:

* remove hinges, handles, doors
* Clean surface with TSP (done)
* Use a liquid desander (mostly done)
* apply primer 1/4 done)
* apply paint
* read that I should apply new laquer or protective layer. not sure on what to do here yet.

* clean hinges
* i believe they are steel. read online to soak in vegetable oil. not really sure on this.
* if they are brass, not sure on the process.

* install new handles and knobs for different pattern.
* reinstall hinges and doors.

wife wants to modify some doors with glass insets. not sure if i have the tools or skills to do this correctly.

thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #13

Sunco, thanks. At least you got the liquid sandpaper there. You didn't offer up your primer or finish, and I'm not sure I want to ask. My only conern is the TSP. Did you rinse thoroughly? Inadequate rinsing can cause bonding issues. I've never heard of soaking hinges in vegetable oil. I usually soak them for a couple of hours in a bucket of whatever grease cutting detergent is available then rinse. Sometimes I spray them if they're funky or painted up. I have lacquered the hardware before for added durability and appearance, but I've never clear coated and cabinets. If you use a good quality enamel, a clear coat wont' be necessary. Again, I won't ask. Anyway, sounds like you laid it out fairly well. Good Luck.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:14 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Hinges are cheap, just get new ones
Old 09-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #15

i usually only go to HD or Lowes for my home improvement. i did not see any hinges that would fit my original hinge fitting.