Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #1

Share |

Spray Painting - How to control overspray? Booth?

I'm going to try my first chances at spraying paint. I bought a gun called the Critter on Amazon and am going to plan to thin out latex and so some spraying.

I was curious what's the best way to go about controlling overspray. I was thinking of building a make-shift spray booth with tarps in my garage or basement. Figured it might be smart to have a box window fan in the booth to get fresh air in/fumes out.

Can anyone share their tips on controlling overspray, and if you build a spray booth what did you use and how did you set it up?

HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #2

I looked at your Critter spray gun. You will have to thin Latex down to much to get it to spray. IMO. I have used a Turbine HVLP to spray Latex, but I had to thin it beyond what I would call paint. I do not know what your painting, as so I know just how big of a booth your looking to have. IF it be in your garage then I would tarp off the walls, Make a curtain wall for entry. Have a window in the mix as so you can place a fan in it. Place tarps on the floor as so not to get paint on the Concrete. Viola...........makeshift booth. I would not recommend spraying in your basement!!!

Good Luck to you..............................

Last edited by mark942; 07-14-2010 at 01:26 PM.
mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
General Contractor

It depends on what it is you are spraying. It sounds like you want to set up a booth in your garage so are you thinking about spraying cabinets or something like that? I made a make shift spray booth at the shop with 2x4's and 6 mil plastic

Last edited by developer-gspr; 07-15-2010 at 10:34 PM.
developer-gspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #4

Hi GUys,
I'm trying to spray interior doors for a home, but also eventually want to consider spraying older solid wood kitchen cabinets.

I saw the Critter and know that it will work for some other wood working projects so I figured I'd buy it and then try to thin some latex down and see how it does. Seems like people have done it before, so i'll try as well and start by spraying some stuff that isn't as important as the doors or cabinets.

I'll probably start by spraying some wood paneling i'll be using as a ceiling in a crawl space so I can learn the gun well. Then from there I want to attempt to tackle the interior doors.

The garage is a detached structure that is just old beams and walls inside so if it gets a little messy I am ok. I was thinking of using tarps, or now that you mentioned the 6 mil plastic I could see that working well between the ceiling supports and some 2X4's. I then was going to take a box fan, put a furnace filter on it and let that pull the air out of the booth.

I realize the critter isn't the greatest gun, but I figured it would be worth a shot before I just roll the doors with foam rollers and probably end up with drip marks on the panels of the doors.

Now that you have more info any different ideas or thoughts? Thanks!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
General Contractor

It sounds like you have the right idea. I use a graco hvlp for spraying fine finish but as long as you are not going to be using it everyday it sounds like your set up will work. Make sure you where a respirator the box fan will not remove all the odors from the air but will work well enough for what you are planning on doing.

Last edited by developer-gspr; 07-15-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the confidence points!

Any tips on thinning the latex paint? I am going to use Floetrol like most people suggested who've reviewed the Critter, and some have even topped it off with a little bit of water. I figure i'll read the reviews and try some of the people's mixtures first, or go at my own trying to keep it as paint-like and as thick as possible.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
General Contractor

Floetrol is an excellent product. Used it for years to keep brush strokes off of trim that I paint with water based products. Of course trial and error is the best option. Good luck
Old 07-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #8

Handy-Frank, let me know how that spraying went. I am curious.

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #9

I am in the same boat as HandyFrank, where we (carpenters) installed block paneling with raised panels made of poplar in a house. The doors are also custom built of poplar. The painter used a pine top for a brush and the work is horrible. We have removed as much of the paint as we could and now waiting for it to cure to use a sander. Sanding now created a gummy mess. My question is there any sprayer that can spray acrylic latex interior semi gloss without thinning down to water. We are happy to purchase HVLP or a pot or whatever, but do not want to buy a piece of equipement that can not do the job. We have already purchased a Wagner with a plastic one quart container. Drip city and massive paint amounts, that had to be washed off and rubbed down with rags. We were told that Binks made a two gallon enclosed pot that connected to an air compressor, that would work. Any suggestions? Thanks for any advice, help or your experience.

BMWMCMAN is offline   Reply With Quote