Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #1

Share |
Question

spray painter limited budget

have been for days trying to figure out which sprayer to purchase to do a ton of painting such as entire bkyd fence, ALL storm windows, exterior window frames, all exterior trrim, roof line, door/inwindow, roof trim, garage doors, some exterior siding, plus have many furniture, tables & chairs to repaint. looking at a recondioned graco sprAY station 2900,59.99$ and maybe purchase A fine tip 1.5, still below retail. Also another consideration is my carpel tunnel, which is a daily pain for me. Sanding & sealing my deck last year sent me into physical therapy but *I am deternined to not let this get the best of me.
Any reccommendations as I am out of time to keep researching this???

marshalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Ever sprayed before? many of the things on your list would best be done by hand, not spray.

Gymschu (03-29-2012), user1007 (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #3

Just rent one for the day or for the week. Almost anything you buy cheap will give you more headaches than results.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
user1007 (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #4

Most rental yards have small airless sprayers, such as Graco or Titan, that will more than handle your needs. Guns come in two-finger operation or four-finger. Triggering may aggravate your carpal tunnel so decide which is more comfortable for you. Most spray application is enhanced by back-brushing to even-out the wet film and work it into the substrate, Don't overlook this importnt step. If it's too much for you, find another person to assist you. After your project is done, the sprayer is returned, consider surgery.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #5

thanks for the two positive responses, I do think I will just rent one, had considered it anyway.
brushjockey---Yes, have used a sprayer many times, painted an entire house before with one. Sprayer broke few years ago so have been hand painting or rolling if possible.
Always have, always will, do all my own painting inside/outside, so it is not as if I am completely clueless (although do believe there is always something new to be learned)
nor have I started a project, screwed it up then come here to ask for help getting my screw up fixed, so am wondering where this phrase is coming from--

"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS

--exactly why I asked for sprayer brand thoughts before buying one & having trouble with it.
So thanks for your welcome to this DIY board.
Many of the things on my list are not fine finish surfaces such as fences, garage door, window frames etc and I do know that spraying them would speed up the whole process over hand brushing. Even with brushing all prep including masking has to be done anyway.
Thanks for the back brushing reminder. Last year actually brushed my sealer on the deck rather than spraying since I figured too many small nooks & have to brush alot anyway.
marshalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

In my defense- The statement is my sig line- taken from another pro here. it is on all my responses because it is true.
We have many people come here asking about sprayers that don't have a clue. So i ask.
You can get into more trouble in seconds with a sprayer than hours with a brush.
You got good advice- Sometimes we need to know more to give it.
user1007 (04-01-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #7

I had an occasion to use a sprayer recently. I had to paint the ceiling in a basement. Joists and all the mechanicals. The B.M. store that sold me the paint rented me the sprayer for $75. The local rental places wanted to charge by the day. I was able to keep the sprayer until I was done, 4 days. Check with the paint stores in your area.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
You can get into more trouble in seconds with a sprayer than hours with a brush.
You got good advice- Sometimes we need to know more to give it.
I can finish a fence with roller and brush almost faster than spraying it. I know I will never overspray and piss off the neighbors.

I just bid a job today to remove paint overspray. And then repaint.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote