Spray Paint "lifting" Underlying Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Spray paint "lifting" underlying paint

I wanted to paint several electric wall heater covers. After I removed them I gave them a roughing up with 60 grit sandpaper. I sprayed the first coat of Rustoleum Universal paint and primer in one. The forst coat worked fine. I waited 2+ hours and sprayed the second coat and, the first coat started to "lift" as if I had sprayed paint remover on it! I called the company and their help dept. indicated that I had not allowed enought time for the first coat to dry. I sanded once again, waited a week and sprayed again--same result! I then started taking the paint down to meatl where the paint had lifted and then, wiped with Acetone. Spraying the third time I now have even more lifting! I have to presume incompatibility of the Rustoleum with the original paint but, what to do???

Karl

Advertisement

karlthev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

Stop trying to use there "universal paint" just use reguler acrilic. But prime any bare areas first.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (05-12-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,294

Could be several factors involved here. It's possible the covers are made of galvanized metal which does not take paint very well. Not likely in this case but you never know. After sanding, did you clean the dust off thoroughly? Basic question, but, that is a huge step to overlook. Also, remember to spray several very light coats instead of a couple heavy coats. Wish I could be of more help.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

The covers need to be absolutely clean, no dust, oil etc.

Are you saying that the covers were already painted?

If so , you don't need the rustoleum.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Karl -

If the 1st coat went on, and did not lift.....I suspect contaminants.
Used Rustoleum over the years. Thin coats. U can out another coat after 30 minutes but not after a hr if I recall (off the can). Enough for the solvent to dissipate and dry. YMMW as I've primarily used their pro cans .
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Karl,
read the instructions on the can. If you wait longer than what they tell you, the paint will dissolve the underlying coat. If you miss the time window, you have to wait 5-7 days for the first coat to completely cure then put on the second coat. I spray the second and third coats as soon as the first coat flashes and is somewhat dry to the touch. It will be a little tacky, but that's allright. Most of the cans will say if you don't recoat in the first hour, wait the 5-7 days. I always use primer first also, not the combined like you stated.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

Yep you are outside the recoat window. Generally spray paint should be applied in several thin coats about 15-20 minutes apart and all within a 2 hour window. After that it starts to crackle and lift as it's cured enough to solidify but not enough to prevent the solvents in the spray from loosen it it from the surface. You have to wait several days and sand then recoat if you miss the initial window.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #8

Thanks for all the advice, MUCH appreciated! Unfortunately, I THINK I've given these all a try...except for a primer coat... Yesterday I sanded the lifted areas flush first by palm sander and then by hand. Final sandpaper was 150 grit. Pretty smooth finish but rough enough (I thought) for good purchase of the paint. I then used Acetone for final wiping with a clean cloth. I figured I'd taken any contaminents off. I used the Rustoleum paint again and, the dang paint lifted within 5 minutes of the spray---looks like painting on paint remover---wrinkled and ready for removal. Now, this didn't happen all over the covers (there are three) but in some areas only. At this point I'm near ready to have the dang things sandblasted and chromed!!! Kidding but.... I'd post pictures here (if that's allowed) but have NEVER posted anything to a website as this so, I'd need some hand-holding to do so....

Karl

Last edited by karlthev; 05-09-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: spelling errorS!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,294

Karl, and one of the frustrating things about the painting world is that sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to why paint won't stay put. Been doing this painting thing for a long time and every once in a while even after proper prep work, following the right steps, etc. it just doesn't work and what a terrible feeling of frustration.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,002

Karl,
maybe you should try beadblasting the covers and start from scratch. I paint a lot of metal items when restoring my old motorcycles. I beadblast them, blow the dust off, then wipe with wax and grease remover, prime and paint. Maybe that acetone is causing a problem. I don't use any so I'm not sure. You might want to try the wax and grease remover, available an any good auto body supply store.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Karl,
maybe you should try beadblasting the covers and start from scratch. I paint a lot of metal items when restoring my old motorcycles. I beadblast them, blow the dust off, then wipe with wax and grease remover, prime and paint. Maybe that acetone is causing a problem. I don't use any so I'm not sure. You might want to try the wax and grease remover, available an any good auto body supply store.
Mike Hawkins

that was my thought also
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

Acetone is pretty potent. I wouldn't doubt if it loosened the initial bond.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #13

Resolution (partial). I sanded, let the whole operation sit for two days and then used spray Enamel--Rustoleum but none of the hi-tech stuff. It worked!! Now, I've gopt to go back and resand several times to get all of the mess completely smooth since only hand sanding (and less heat generated) will permit the paint to come off as dust vs globs. Thanks!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #14
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Considering this thread started on the eighth and this is the 11th, and it sounds like you have put on a couple of coats of something trying to fix it.. It doesn't sound like anything involved has had enough cure time to where it should be messed without messing it up more. Throw it in acorner for a week and give it a chance to settle down.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #15

Good advice to let it settle down however what wasn't conveyed clearly is that the series of paintings/sandings occurred over the course of several weeks rather than days. I agree with letting THIS coat cure sufficiently however.

Karl

Advertisement