Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2006, 09:39 AM   #1

Share |

spray or brush baseboards?

We just installed a new wood floor and will be installing 4 inch white baseboard. The baseboard we have picked out is preprimed and I think it is MDF. We will be painting it white (swiss coffee). One guy has said the best way is to spray the paint after the baseboards are installed. He will caulk the boards, fill the nailholes, then spray. Another has said that it is best to brush the boards because if we spray and later (a few years down the road) want to touch up areas because of marks or scratches, the brushed on touchups will not match the original spray. To be honest, I'm not sure how often we would "touch up" the boards as that does not seem to be something that we really notice too much after all of the furniture goes in.

Both guys are going to charge us about $1000 to do about 200 linear feet of caulking, filling, and painting. Does this sound reasonable? We are also considering doing this ourselves (brush) but right now with my work schedule I have almost no time and we would like to get this done and finish our flooring project so that we can get back into our house.

By the way, we installed our own crown molding in a few rooms about two years ago, painted before we put them up, then caulked the holes and touched up those areas and it came out well, but that was a much smaller painting job and I had a lot more time to do it myself. Also, because we did it ourselves, we were probably a lot easier on the "mistakes" then if a professional had done it!

Thanks
mathdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
Pro Painter

Either method is acceptable. Some painters just don't like using sprayers. Some painters like the sprayer because it's fast and you don't have to know how to use the brush much.

Some customers like the brushed look, it shows craftsmanship.

No opinion on the price.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joewho For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-27-2013)
Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Seems like a lot of masking for spraying a 4" baseboard. Price sounds a few dollars high, put that really depends on local labor market, and if the painter is buying paint. Either method will get the job done.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 12-02-2006 at 10:09 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Either way is acceptable
I wouldn't spray trim in an occupied house, but some will

Price sounds a little high for two coats baseboard trim, but there could other factors involved I can't see, and quality labor may be high in your area (you've got two quotes in the same ball park so that's a good indicator)
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Pro Painter

Wow! $1000 for 200 lin. ft. of trim? I'll do it! No, seriously, it does sound a little high.

I would not spray in a finished interior...even an hvlp puts a good bit of mist into the air. We always brush/roll any finished houses.
AAPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:08 AM   #6

yeah that is a really high price. I just painted 2000sqft of housing (top to bottom) trim and all for $1200 + paint.

As for spray or brush; Personally being an experienced painter I would brush. Most people don't like to brush because of the texture it leaves, but some people (as mentioned above) like the look. I find the brush work to be less messy, easier and I think it looks great.

as for doing it yourself its just like you said. You will be a lot easier on your mistakes than you will be on his (rightfully so for $1000). If you choose to do it yourself you will want to paint the trim while its off with a brush, put it on, caulk it and touch it up in that order. otherwisely you will make a whole lot of mistakes which you WILL notice and may drive you crazy.

It's like anything else though, if you don't have experience with painting your job WILL NOT look as good as the pros job. Thats why people make a living painting because it does require skill and technique (especially trimming). Keep that in mind.

as a reference: to straight up paint 200 ft of trim (off the wall) I would charge $150 + paint for two coats. if it is on the wall, double that price. If you wanted me to paint it and put it up; I'd roughly say $650 plus supplies (that includes caulking and filling).
McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
General Contractor

I know this is a really old thread, but wow, I can't believe how many people are mislead by pricing. I just bid on a job to paint around 200 LF of base for $1,000. If I pay a guy $18 an hour to do the work, include materials, supplies, and business overhead costs, I will be at 5% to 10% profit if all goes well. Which isn't a whole lot.

A shoe company makes 210% profit, furniture is generally 100% or more, doctors and lawyers earn 20% to 50% profit. Yet when a contractor charges 5% to 10% everyone thinks he's a crook?
KennMacMoragh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KennMacMoragh For This Useful Post:
Expert Paint (02-06-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

$5 a lf... your guy is slow. And I always do it on.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
$5 a lf... your guy is slow. And I always do it on.
You're not looking at all the details, my guy isn't slow.
KennMacMoragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #10

You didn't give any details. Based on what you said, and what I know I can do, 1,000 seems high for 200 lf. You're a gc, is your painter a pro painter, or a gc in training? Is it 4,6, 12 inch base? Does that include prep? What prep is involved? Is it new needing putty and full caulking, or existing just needing a scuff sand? Is it over sub-floor or hardwoods, carpet? Does it have shoe? Is that painted or stained? Is the base even installed or is it to be painted on sawhorses? It's all moot anyway since this is a DIY forum and we don't discuss prices here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-28-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #11

How come nobody mentioned spray the first coat, then install fill, light sand, then brush on 2nd coat. With todays paints (good paints) with the levelers they have, and a good brush you can't hardly tell if it's brushed or sprayed. It's baseboard you would have to get down on your hands and knees to tell.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Painting Company, NY

I don't feel $1,000 is. High for that work, as I would charge more than that. You have to take in to consideration liability insurance, workers compensation insurance, indirect job cost, direct job cost, other labor burden cost, misc. material and sundry cost, any state and local taxes, profit, mark up and the quality of work to be performed. Is the contractor offering a written warranty? How's the contractors reputation? There is a lot that goes into pricing a job for a legitimate painting contractor. The price should not be dictated by the local market or by other contractors located all over the country.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Expert Paint (02-06-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #13

200 linear feet of base is 5 10' x 10' rooms. I can run each of them once in 45 mins or less which equals 3.75 hours, 1/2 a day. That leaves me four hours for set up, prep, and clean up. More than one thousand a day, I'm moving to NY.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
ltd (01-28-2013), ToolSeeker (01-29-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
200 linear feet of base is 5 10' x 10' rooms. I can run each of them once in 45 mins or less which equals 3.75 hours, 1/2 a day. That leaves me four hours for set up, prep, and clean up. More than one thousand a day, I'm moving to NY.
I'll join you, be nice making a grand a day

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #15

Spraying indoors requires an incredible amount of prep, so I'm surprised he'd spray them after installing if given the choice. You can spray 200 lf of baseboards in literally 2 minutes outdoors or in a workshop, before installation. Of course you're going to spend an hour cleaning your sprayer so I still don't know if it'd be worth it.

I wouldn't worry about the difference between spraying and brushing for a baseboard. $1,000 seems high to me. Not going to do it yourself? It's not hard to paint baseboards that haven't been installed yet, and then touch them up later.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote