Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #1

Share |

Spot primed - baaad

I recently got a job painting an entire house.
Disaster central. His tenant had kids. Walls were HORRIBLY marked up, and plug and nail holes everywhere.

I pride myself on doing a good job. So I first TSP'd everything.
I then went and filled on the holes. I knew from past experience, that NOT priming would leave different sheens. So I spot primed ALL the holes and knicks/imperfections with Behr Enamel primer. Bad move.
The paint was original builder's paint from 10 years ago. Very flat. Very cheap. I proceeded with my top coat of Behr Eggshell.
Unfortunately, the difference between the 4"x4" spot primes and the rest of the wall are INCREDIBLY visible. HUGE difference in sheen.
I'm devistated. There are a good 8 to 10 blotches on EVERY wall.
I'm now priming the ENTIRE house with Valspar multi-surface primer, and at $145 for 5 gallons, is the same price as my top coat. Unfortunately, one coat has not got rid of the problem. A second coat helps, but the spots are still visible. I'm going mad. My profit down the tubes. I may need THREE coats of primer! I'll likely need another 5 gallons of primer, PLUS another 5 gallons of Eggshell. $700 of paint when it should have cost $200.

I can't think of another way to rectify the problem other than go through this process, and I'm still not sure if I'll get results.

Any suggestions? It's too late now for This job, but for future reference, I sure could use some! (This is the same primer I've used on all my other jobs with no incident. The only thing I can think of is that the builder's paint is such garbage, that the eggshell is soaking in, and where I applied the enamel primer, the surface is sealed. No more enamel primer on flat builder's paint, that's for sure. Maybe I should have just used Behr's New Drywall Primer.)

Ack.

Dali88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #2

Spot primed - baaad

Are you a Pro painter ?
Do a search on this site for Behr paint
I will never buy it again

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Spot primed - baaad

Mr Ack, Behr sucks. Go to a real paint store an buy real primer and paint. You can rarely get away with "spot" priming large areas. You must prime the whole wall with a QUALITY primer and apply a QUALITY top coat for proper results. One coat of primer and 2 top coats are normal. Behr and Valspar and most anything for the big box stores do not qualify as you have found out. Now you know.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:38 AM   #4

Spot primed - baaad

Forgive me for asking but......Why would you use Behr's "new primer" when the other Behr products let you down so miserably? It sounds as if you sufficiently prepped the walls, and I assume you know how to use a brush/roller. I suppose the old paint could be the issue, but my money says its the new primer/paint that is the culprit.
I'm a DIY hack, but from what I've read on this and other message boards, successful professional painters gravitate toward Sherwin-Williams and Benjamin Moore products. I'll venture to say that if there were better profit to be made with cheaper paint/primer (Behr), thats what they'd use.
Tedstor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #5

Spot primed - baaad

Well I appreciate the thoughts on Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams.

I used to use the Ralph Lauren line at Home Depot and loved it, but they stopped carrying it. I never had one single problem with that paint.
The Valspar primer is not cheap. There ARE quality products at the 'big box' retailers. Just because they come from them, doesn't discount them from being good. Frankly, I've used Benjamin Moore in the past, and had a hell of a time using it. It dried too fast, and I kept getting streaks.

It's not the Behr primer, because as I stated, I've used it on about 8 jobs prior to this with no incident. I've also used the Behr eggshell on other jobs. It's not my first choice, but it does a good job for a middle of the road paint. (I could go Glidden at $16 a gallon, or Para at $20. Right?
Just saying, Behr is fine.

I'm near certain it's the conditions. Got to think the builder's paint so lacking that the new eggshell has soaked into the drywall, and where I spot primed is now properly sealed.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Spot primed - baaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dali88 View Post
Well I appreciate the thoughts on Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams.

I used to use the Ralph Lauren line at Home Depot and loved it, but they stopped carrying it. I never had one single problem with that paint.
The Valspar primer is not cheap. There ARE quality products at the 'big box' retailers. Just because they come from them, doesn't discount them from being good. Frankly, I've used Benjamin Moore in the past, and had a hell of a time using it. It dried too fast, and I kept getting streaks.

It's not the Behr primer, because as I stated, I've used it on about 8 jobs prior to this with no incident. I've also used the Behr eggshell on other jobs. It's not my first choice, but it does a good job for a middle of the road paint. (I could go Glidden at $16 a gallon, or Para at $20. Right?
Just saying, Behr is fine.

Name one
Old 04-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
the Musigician

Spot primed - baaad

AHA! I have found ONE product at a BB store that I swear by!

Stormguard nails made by Maze....... MADE IN THE USA! (Peru, Illinois) at Lowes.

"Gripwrong"s suck..... They KNOW they make a crap product though, they won't even say on the package they're fasteners!
They call them "Fas'ners"..... at least they're honest that far....

DM
Old 04-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Spot primed - baaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

Stormguard nails made by Maze....... MADE IN THE USA! (Peru, Illinois) at Lowes.

"Gripwrong"s suck..... They KNOW they make a crap product though, they won't even say on the package they're fasteners!

DM
Excuse me, this is the paint thread. What do nails have to do with crappy big box paint products?

Maze has the best nails for sure.

I'm down with subverting the original content of this thread. Let's talk nails!
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
the Musigician

Spot primed - baaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Name one
Blame him... ^

Now.... back to Behr-bashing....

DM
Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Spot primed - baaad

Quote:
Blame him... ^

Now.... back to Behr-bashing....

DM
Chrisn is a secret Behr lover. He feels guilty for his hidden pleasures, so he publicly disdains his beloved.
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:40 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Spot primed - baaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
Chrisn is a secret Behr lover. He feels guilty for his hidden pleasures, so he publicly disdains his beloved.
Somebody finally figured it out

Quote:

DM

Good to know, next time I need nails,I will know what to get.If that is all that can anyone can come up with, then my point was made.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #12

Spot primed - baaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Name one

CIL Smart 3

... which is actually the second that I've replied.
The Ralph Lauren I stated earlier, I've used in about 5 jobs with no incident.
CIL Smart, by far, the most even, easy to work with I've ever used.
Unfortunately, I can only Suggest products to clients. If budget restricts them, I tell them I won't go down to the $16 or $20/gallon products. If you have any suggestions on who is best at $30/gallon paint, let me know.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #13

Spot primed - baaad

I have used the new Glidden from hd and can't complain. I tried after using their Glidden Evermore a while back on some textured paneling. The new Glidden Delux, Premium, or something like that, worked very good as far as coverage and leveling on new drywall, but it was not $16. It was more like $20. I can't really comment on the durability yet. Recently is the first time ihave used Glidden in years. I am sure I used it at some point growing up before I paid any attention to what kind of paint I was using.
How is your patching? Let then dry and and sand them properly? If I was going to try and patch and spot prime, I would have done one room and at least sanded the whole room. Actually, I might have only done one wall if Iwas doing that. I might also have tried to convince then to go with a flat.
SW sold me a primer once for previosly painted surfaces that was really good.

I took it from the op that someone was using an account at HD. I have heard good things about Gripper primer. I like 123 pretty well as I have used it. That and the new Glidden I think will make them happy. Regardless what product you use, chances are it will need painting again in the not too near future if he gets rowty tenants in there.

I have also had pretty good luck with Pro Classic wall paint from SW.
I guess some can make any paint look good. I have used Behr a few times on my own properties. since then I have turned down projects where they wanted Behr. I still have a room in my house I used it on and need to redo. I have not tried the new Behr, don't know if I want to.

P.s Not sure if HD even sells 123 as I have not been theremuch lately. Lowe's does have it and bullseye water based .

Last edited by boman47k; 05-03-2010 at 07:44 PM.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #14

Spot primed - baaad

sounds like conditions and or the spot priming. depending on the color you might have needed to do full prime. certain colors bleed through much more than others. the more transparent the paint is the harder it is to apply. it's like shooting automotive candy, the hardest paint period. it's see through so your primer and body work have to be spectacular; not to mention your hand shooting. depending on the color you used it could be most of your problem. valspars color hiding primer isn't a half bad product but you really need to put it down well enough that you have a flat color to paint over. in some rooms in the house i'm doing here i had to use 2 coats to go over this gaudy orange and get a solid base for the light green i was using to go down. as you can tell from my post; i think the prep work is 99% of your issue. the fact you mention sheen difference confirms it. you have transparent bleed through.

by the way....i also hate behr, just bland pigments

if you live close to HD and lowes, for paint supplies, stick to lowes, valspar is one of the nations largest chemical manufacturers, they have been making numerous paints for a very long time. they are also generally thought of as mid to upper mid level in automotive paint. in home paint it appears to be similar. sherwin williams is another of the giants that oddly isn't considered such on this board even though they have over twice the market cap of valspar. most of the paint i have tried from them is also a solid product. i guess my point with this is why would you even bother with behr when similarly priced paints from both sherwin and valspar are just flat better?

just for fun, the rough value of valspar is 3bil, sherwin williams 9bil, lowes 40bil and home depot 60bil. \

i can't help but wonder if SW started carrying everything under the sun like lowes and HD if they would also suffer the same bad talk from contractors even if their paint was exactly the same.

Last edited by racebum; 04-29-2010 at 03:30 AM.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:26 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Spot primed - baaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dali88 View Post
CIL Smart 3

... which is actually the second that I've replied.
The Ralph Lauren I stated earlier, I've used in about 5 jobs with no incident.
CIL Smart, by far, the most even, easy to work with I've ever used.
Unfortunately, I can only Suggest products to clients. If budget restricts them, I tell them I won't go down to the $16 or $20/gallon products. If you have any suggestions on who is best at $30/gallon paint, let me know.

I have never even head of CIL Smart 3 and RL is not considered quality by any means. I don't know about you but I do this for a living and there may be a couple of Zinsser primers that I would buy at Lowe's if I happened to be there and it was on a Sunday and I needed it but there are NO other paint products I would buy there to put on a customers walls,none.As to being BEST @ $30 a gallon,I cannot answer that because there is no answer.I can say that if you were actually looking for QUALITY paint, Ben Moore,Sherwin Williams, Pittsburgh.Muralo, jump to mind, there are more. Lowe's and Home Depot do not sell ANY quality paint, except a couple of the primers,Zinsser and Gripper come to mind. I am done with this, take it or keep buying your paint @ the big box stores,I don't care one way or the other, just TRYING to give good advise from experience