Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #1

Share |

Speed Wall Paint

Getting ready to sell the house in the next month or so and after meeting with our realtor it looks like we have some painting to do to tone down some of the colors in the house. Pretty much the standard white in the living room, off white bathroom, and cover my navy blue office.

Was looking at paint prices in Home Depot and I just can't see paying $2-300+ for paint for these rooms for a house we're not going to be in and that the new owners will most likely paint anyway.

Then I ran across this Speed Wall stuff at $13 a gallon and that's more like it. Is it any good? I really don't care about durability or anything like that since we're not going to be here. When we moved in 11 years ago the first thing we did was paint so I'd imagine the new owners would be the same.

Or should I pony up for the cheapest Behr, Glidden, or Valspar that I can find?
itguy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #2

Speed Wall Paint

Use cheap paint and need more coats, if your time is worth nothing and you have plenty of it then go with the cheap paint.
That blue room is going to need to be primed before the lighter color or it's going to come out a light blue even if you use white paint.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #3

Speed Wall Paint

I figured the blue room will be primer + at least 2 coats. The living room is already white but we need to touch up where the dog & cat have worn away corners and stuff since the last time we painted (2005).

I guess I've never done 1 coat of paint so if I'm doing 2 already with good paint would I need 3 or more with the cheap stuff?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #4

Speed Wall Paint

The new owners are really gonna appreciate this "blow and go" paintjob.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
chrisn (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #5

Speed Wall Paint

With good paint all you should need to do is prime any bare spots or drywall touch up and one coat will do it if your painting white over white.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #6

Speed Wall Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
The new owners are really gonna appreciate this "blow and go" paintjob.
Why? When we buy our next house (it won't be new) I pretty much expect I'll be painting either before we move in or within the coming 1-2 years. Everyone we know who has bought a non-new house ends up painting in short order...
Old 12-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
ltd

Speed Wall Paint

i think a good cheep paint is valspar contractor 2000 about 20 dollars a gal .i have used it in flips ,apt.closets ,it a good paint for the money.but 13 dollar paint it will make your job harder more drips spatter bla bla bla .i get that you don't want to use 45 dollar paint ,but 13 dollar paint
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

Speed Wall Paint

Anyone willing to put on the cheapest paint they can find is surely not going to put any time into proper prep. Do your buyers a favor and don't ruin their house for them.
chrisn (12-11-2011), ltd (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #9

Speed Wall Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Anyone willing to put on the cheapest paint they can find is surely not going to put any time into proper prep. Do your buyers a favor and don't ruin their house for them.
This, plus you haven't sold the house yet. Go to Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore and get the contractor grade paint. It's in the low $20's/Gallon and does a lot better job than anything you will find in a big box store.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
ltd

Speed Wall Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
This, plus you haven't sold the house yet. Go to Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore and get the contractor grade paint. It's in the low $20's/Gallon and does a lot better job than anything you will find in a big box store.
i here you but a home onwer not going to touch that paint in the low 20dollar range.imo
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

Speed Wall Paint

Also read the Im Mad thread- this is the other side of it.
ltd (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #12

Speed Wall Paint

I'm not a painter, but I have played one on the weekend. I have found, through many coats of both cheap and not-cheap paint,that it is less painful, less frustrating and all-in-all, a better choice to go to a real paint store. The place I go when I need paint understands I am not a painter, and is more than happy to answer my questions and recommend a couple of options. They will take my money as well as a professionals. Last time I used Behr, while helping a friend, I had all kinds of trouble with the roller marks showing up. Turns out the oaint was drying too fast. Added a lot of sanding and I learned about Floatrol.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to packer_rich For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-12-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #13

Speed Wall Paint

The problem is - doing the cheapest, fastest paint job you can do makes it difficult to ever give that room a proper paint job again. You can introduce issues with adhesion, bubbling, and texture that are soul-sapping for the next owner to try to fix. Take it from me, someone who regularly curses the previous owner of my house -- do it right or not at all. Seriously.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows For This Useful Post:
ltd (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Speed Wall Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
The problem is - doing the cheapest, fastest paint job you can do makes it difficult to ever give that room a proper paint job again. You can introduce issues with adhesion, bubbling, and texture that are soul-sapping for the next owner to try to fix. Take it from me, someone who regularly curses the previous owner of my house -- do it right or not at all. Seriously.
I curse the previous painter( be it home owner or not) almost daily

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #15

Speed Wall Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Also read the Im Mad thread- this is the other side of it.
Yeah being the OP'er on that thread I was just reading this one and my face was turning red.

If you you cheap out just to pretty up your house for sale then you are... I won't say it.

Now in your defense, it sounds like you may not be aware of the downside of what you're proposing.

Given the fact that a decent paint job is 10% painting and 90% preparation, and the difference between cheap paint and good paint is trivial in the calculation of the overall cost of a paint project, even DIY (assuming your time is worth something afterall), if you're going to buy the crappy paint then it's dollars to donuts that you're not going to do proper prep.

The next owner, when they go to paint and their paint does not adhere because the paint underneath it is not adhering... well, you won't want to know the things they call you.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironlight For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (12-11-2011)