Special Paint Or Primer For A New Kitchen? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
koz

Rewards Points: 10

Special paint or primer for a new kitchen?

Hi Folks,

I'm about a month away from starting a major remodel of my home. Completely redoing the kitchen, removing walls and creating new ones. This means I'm going to have a mix of new drywall and old drywall as well as a lot of area to paint.

I know some people use special paints for kitchens and baths but is that really necessary? I ask because the sheen difference is going to be noticeable if I have to use a semi-gloss instead of an egg shell as the whole house will be open now and there aren't natural breaks.

Is there a primer that would be better for the kitchen area?

Finally, the brand of paint I use (Devine by Miller Paint) is on sale until July 9th so I want to capitalize on this and buy it early. There shouldn't be any harm buying the paint 3 or 4 months before I need to use it right?

Thanks,

Koz

Advertisement

koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome aboard! You have a few things here to consider- new areas and redo areas have different problems. The right primers are very important.
I do eggshells in Kitchens all the time. A good quality egg is plenty good- I am not familiar with Devine though.
Just as a general thought for primers- Zinnser 123 is a great all purpose primer- has a bit of sheen that helps the final finish to come to its fullness.
There are other good choices- but that is very available.

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
koz

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the advice Brushjockey!

What this tells me is that I'll buy the paint now, and wait on primer.

Devine is a regional paint I think made by Miller Paint (which I think is a regional Pacific Northwest company). I've used it in a couple of houses now and love the way it goes on and especially love the Devine colors.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote