Spackling Problem - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,360

Spackling problem

I am prepping a wall to paint it. Today I filled all of the dents & dings with spackle and now there are two textures on that wall - the original texture from the old paint being rolled on and now the spots of smooth texture where I sanded the spackle off.

What can I do to fix this? I'm pretty sure it's going to look bad after being primed and painted.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Barb

Advertisement

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Spackling problem

Got a picture of the problem?

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #3

Spackling problem

I'll get one tomorrow when the sun is shining in on that wall, showing the flaws.

Barb
Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Spackling problem

It sounds like you're anticipating a texture flash, where the patch area is smooth in contrast to the surrounding texture created by the roller previously. If you're not using a sheen finish, or you don't have strong sidelighting, you shouldn't have much problem, as flats generally don't reveal a texture contrast that obvious. Other than spot priming with a roller to add a bit of texture, don't use a brush or you'll make it worse, there's not much you can do. There was a bit of discussion about this topic in another thread, type texture flash into the search engine. It was fairly recent.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (07-06-2011)
Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #5

Spackling problem

Thanks jsheridan. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use a flat paint because of the fingerprints and dirt from hands that gets on that section of wall. It's a small section next to the stairway and has to be washed fairly often.

During the day, when the front door is open, there is side lighting that shows imperfections. But I like the idea of using a roller to apply the primer. I'll use one for the paint too and maybe the flat spots won't be as apparent.

Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

Spackling problem

if its small dings ,dents ,smaller than a quarter,i would just spot prime with finish paint with your brush .then roll finish paint ,i do this daily no problems. also if you dont look for the patches you wont see them.wow that's profound
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (07-06-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #7

Spackling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
It sounds like you're anticipating a texture flash, where the patch area is smooth in contrast to the surrounding texture created by the roller previously. If you're not using a sheen finish, or you don't have strong sidelighting, you shouldn't have much problem, as flats generally don't reveal a texture contrast that obvious. Other than spot priming with a roller to add a bit of texture, don't use a brush or you'll make it worse, there's not much you can do. There was a bit of discussion about this topic in another thread, type texture flash into the search engine. It was fairly recent.
Here is a link to the thread I believe you're talking about:

Walls are "Patchy" when viewed at an Angle
Old 07-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #8

Spackling problem

At first I thought we were talking about a textured wall, if it is a smooth wall do your repairs sand smooth, spot prime and paint the wall.
gma2rjc (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #9

Spackling problem

You were right, there is a texture. It's from the paint being rolled on. It doesn't really stick out, but it's noticeable when there are smooth spots here and there.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 AM   #10

Spackling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
You were right, there is a texture. It's from the paint being rolled on. It doesn't really stick out, but it's noticeable when there are smooth spots here and there.

Thanks.
Prime with a roller like J suggested and after you are done painting the entire wall it should blend in fine. If you are really using spackle and not drywall mud I recommend priming your repairs twice, spackle tends to flash more.

Advertisement