DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Spackle Questions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/spackle-questions-173125/)

dschribs 02-27-2013 11:33 AM

Spackle Questions
 
Prior to actually painting - Do I need to prime the areas where I used spackling paste to cover nail holes and gouges in the walls? if so, what's the best product to use?

Also, I know the pros don't like the big box stores but is all spackle pretty much the same? Would I be safe just getting in a Home Depot or Lowes? If not - what's the brand name to look for?

Thanks!!

cdaniels 02-27-2013 11:58 AM

Yep prime it.Zinsser 1-2-3 is a good choice for spot priming and the spackle you buy at the box stores is ok but you may need to go over it more than once to get it filled in completely as it has a tendency to shrink when it dries.

jeffnc 02-27-2013 04:51 PM

What kind of paint, and what sheen will you be using, and how many coats?

dschribs 02-27-2013 04:57 PM

Ben Moore. Two coats. Eggshell sheen

Thanks!

jeffnc 02-27-2013 05:03 PM

What kind of Ben Moore? With eggshell you usually want to prime/seal first.

jeffnc 02-27-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdaniels (Post 1126087)
the spackle you buy at the box stores is ok but you may need to go over it more than once to get it filled in completely as it has a tendency to shrink when it dries.

Don't know if cdaniels is implying that box store spackle shrinks and "other" compound doesn't, but basically that's not true.

ToolSeeker 02-27-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnc (Post 1126303)
Don't know if cdaniels is implying that box store spackle shrinks and "other" compound doesn't, but basically that's not true.

I didn't get that at all. All spackle shrinks. But here's a little tip, don't use your finger or thump to apply the spackle. Use a flexible putty knife. The reason, look at the end of your finger it's round when you push the spackle in that puts it below the surface and you end up with a small divot.

jeffnc 02-27-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolSeeker (Post 1126346)
All spackle shrinks. But here's a little tip, don't use your finger or thump to apply the spackle. Use a flexible putty knife. The reason, look at the end of your finger it's round when you push the spackle in that puts it below the surface and you end up with a small divot.

Actually, I was wondering if there was a good way to do the opposite. i.e. it would be easier (faster) to leave a bump there and sand it off, than to have to apply 2 (or 3) flat coats that shrink. Does anyone do this?

cdaniels 02-27-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnc (Post 1126355)
Actually, I was wondering if there was a good way to do the opposite. i.e. it would be easier (faster) to leave a bump there and sand it off, than to have to apply 2 (or 3) flat coats that shrink. Does anyone do this?

Jeff,what I meant was All spackle/joint compound shrinks.I some times do leave it built up so I can sand it down smooth in one application.Depends on the size of the hole usually.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved