Spackle Or All Purpose Compound For Tons Of Popped Screws - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Spackle or all purpose compound for tons of popped screws

I am getting ready to paint the laundry room of our house that was built in July and am running into a ton of popped screws and dings that I didn't notice until now. What will give me a better finished look with this much patching? Spackle or all purpose mud? I am going to now have to re-prime the whole room to seal up my patches for an even paint color so what will give me the best results? I'm not calling the contractor to screw this one up again.
Attached Thumbnails
Spackle or all purpose compound for tons of popped screws-002.1.jpg   Spackle or all purpose compound for tons of popped screws-003.1.jpg  

Advertisement

crankcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

All purpose joint compound will do the trick.

Advertisement

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Agree- all purpose. It is just like it was new rock with naked screws now. It will take 2x to fill them , use a hand sander or pole, not a sponge to sand so it is flat in the end.
Complete reprime is the only way to go here.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,032

Now that the studs are really drying out because of the winter heating, it should be under builder's warranty..... or at least get compensated for the material.

http://www.paintsource.net/pages/sol...ood_shrink.htm

Gary
Old 03-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,222

Just curious. Didyou apply any of those screws? I have never seen doubled up screws like that.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Just curious. Didyou apply any of those screws? I have never seen doubled up screws like that.
Me either and same question. And if so many screws are coming out, how wet was your framing lumber when the house was built? I have experienced drywall nails, back when they were used, popping out like bullets from wet douglas fir timber as it dried. But more likely, did you or your contractor seat the screw heads below the surface of the drywall?

Direct answer to your question? On new construction and once you seat the drywall screw heads under the surface o at least create some dimples? Drywall compound.

Spackle is worthless expensive crap that students use to try to patch their student apartments and get Mom and Dad's deposit back. It has no dimensional stability. I've never been able to work it. A little container is like $5 retail. My cost for five gallon buckets of drywall mud was the same.

I am out of the painting business now but when I was in it? Many of my clients were at galleries and great at poking all sorts and sizes of holes in walls. I loved both pre-mixed (if you have the time for it to dry) and dry/hot mix drywall compound. Among other things, you can wet sand it with a sponge.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankcase View Post
I am getting ready to paint the laundry room of our house that was built in July and am running into a ton of popped screws and dings that I didn't notice until now. What will give me a better finished look with this much patching? Spackle or all purpose mud? I am going to now have to re-prime the whole room to seal up my patches for an even paint color so what will give me the best results? I'm not calling the contractor to screw this one up again.
Crankcase, I would use all purpose for sure.
You should be able to just spot prime the newly mudded areas only.
And, If your going to prime the whole room, still spot prime those areas first.

-Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Chris, from the picture it looks like some of the screws were sunk to far past the paper and another screw was added either during construction or recently by the H/O.

-Paul

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
the Musigician

It looks like there is only one screw, not two, in each area.
They popped out, so the OP (or someone) unscrewed them and raised/lowered each one.
Fill both holes and hope it doesn't do it again.

DM

Advertisement