Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Spackle

Just want to clarify discussions across countries.

Spackle is an evil word among painters I know in the US. It is used extensively by students trying to get mommy and daddy cleaning deposits back from dorm rooms and rented apartments. Some galleries use it behind my back with really cute little putty knives and things.

I guess you can paint over it instantly but the stuff I find being used is like crushed marshmallows. It has no stability whatsoever and you cannot expect it do anything but maybe fill in the most tiny of holes.

It costs an enormous amount of money for a tiny, little, cute, 1/2 pint container.

Just wanted to hear what others think of the worthless stuff?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Spackle

There are many options to fill something. All have benefits and costs and cons and pros. This product is not exception. Used where and when it is intended for and it is a great product to have. Used inappropriately and it is crap. But the same goes for everything out there.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Spackle

I once bought 12 containers of it and used it to mud some new drywall. Worked great!

Just kidding.

I have used it for small nail holes before moving out of apartments. I like it for that because once it's dry, it only takes a damp cloth to smooth it out and wipe off the excess. No putty knife marks left behind.

They sell it in tubes now too. It's easy to find because it's pink. lol
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #4

Spackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post

I have used it for small nail holes before moving out of apartments. I like it for that because once it's dry, it only takes a damp cloth to smooth it out and wipe off the excess.
You can just rub it off with your fingers too. I use it to fill nail holes in trim. It goes on quick and dries quick and after it's painted it seems to hold up just as well as anything else. It's not like trim is a high-wear surface.

If you ever need to patch a hole in smooth ceiling tile nothing works better than lightweight spackle.

It doesn't seem like it would work well for patching real holes in drywall though.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

Spackle

Quote:
It doesn't seem like it would work well for patching real holes in drywall though.
Tried that years ago. I takes 10 times longer than doing it the right way.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #6

Spackle

I think spackle means something slightly different in the UK. Not sure what tho' but it's become a verb over there. Product may be the same,never used it myself...

They also use a lot more plaster than we do over here.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
RDS

Spackle

I've noticed where I live now that "spackle" is a generic term commonly used to refer to any joint compound and, indeed, to the entire process of finishing drywall joints. When I hired a guy to (in my own words) "tape and mud" a room, he called it a "spackling" job.

This seemed strange because where I used to live, "spackle" just referred to a specific brand-name product with a narrow range of uses NOT including finishing drywall. Back there, finishing drywall was a "tape and mud" job.

Then again, in Atlantic Canada where I grew up it seems to be called a "crack filling" job and joint compound is "crack filler".

Geek that I am, I find this interesting.
RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #8

Spackle

There seem to be many different types and mixtures based on marketing labels. I wonder if spackle is a generically used term with no real specific 'referent'. Stores sell many formulations of spackle though I wonder if they are all primarily the same, or if they differ radically in formula and performance.

Not sure what 'vinyl' spackling' consists of.

I just purchased some MH brand (by Zinsser) and it has Alkyd resin listed as an ingredient along with a few different of petroleum based solvents and it also has a peculair odor (which I like, but I like a lot of toxic smells ). I'm using it as a quick/dirty resurfacing material (Bob's idea) to smooth out baseboard that has been painted and chipped so many times over the decades it looked like cake frosting. I applied it with a 6" tape knife, and wiped it smooth with a damp sponge. We will see how well it holds up...

Last edited by Lovegasoline; 12-18-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #9

Spackle

Growing up renting Apts you had to leave all holes (from nails/tacs) filled
Otherwise you lose some or all of your security deposit
As such the landlords themselves forced the use of the product

It was my $$ I was getting back
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #10

Spackle

I remember one apt I rented where they specified in the lease to leave nail holes in the walls unfilled. Probably because otherwise people fill them with toothpaste.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #11

Spackle

I remember one apt I rented where they specified in the lease to leave nail holes in the walls unfilled. Probably because otherwise people fill them with toothpaste.