Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

something went wrong

I just put a solid red color on my deck last year and it started to peel... do you think it because of the extreme weather we had. (east coast) I thought I properly prepared it, but obviously something went wrong. Should I sand just the peel part and repaint or will it just repeel again....help. Thanks!

organiclife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

something went wrong

Hard to say what went wrong. I am not a big fan of solid stains on deck surfaces and some products actually warn against using them for such purposes.

Was the newly pressure treated when you stained it? Had you treated it previously with something horrid like Thompson's Water Seal, a wax based product? Did you use a paint store quality stain or something WalMartish or box storish?

Did you pressure wash and prep the deck properly before applying the stain?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 20

something went wrong

O/P never said it was stain, just a red color. Which was it paint or stain you used?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
user1007 (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #4

something went wrong

I would vote for poor prep job on the deck. Either did not remove all the previous sealer or it may have not been dry to 12% at application time. I have a deck I am dealing with right not that a landscaper "cleaned with a power washer without dealing with the original sealer" then coated with solid Cabots Red. Pealing in all the wrong places. I run into tons of jobs yearly that were the result of a homeowner not wanting to pay for a quality job so they let just anyone do the deck. Had a deck this year that landscaper "power washed without even using soap at least then coated with what he said was brown. Cabots was red then on top of that he waited a few days and put another coating of Cabots on the deck It was a skating rink and the job actually doubled in price to fix the landscaper's crappy job. Home owner wanted me to use the landscaper to help me do the job. FAT CHANCE what was his incentive to work for me for no $$$$.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 4

something went wrong

I would bet on improper prep and most likely the application of this brand of garbage
Attached Images

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #6

something went wrong

Old school wisdom tells you to NEVER put a solid paint/stain on anything that is horizontal, especially if it is going to see lots of foot traffic. Today's paint/stains CLAIM that you can do this and get away with it, but, we are finding out that it's just not true. A RED paint really would be a poor, poor choice for a horizontal surface. Lots of colorant, not as much solids just laying on the surface and not penetrating to hold tight.........anyway, my vote is to strip it all off and start over.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote