Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #1

Share |

Solvents

Painting gurus,I need help here.this subject has always confused me as when to use what.I realize this is probably a lengthly topic so if you don't want to respond because of the length of typing i will understand.If this is the case could you provide a link for me.I would like to know what are the following and where and when to use them.What to use to thin oil/alkyd based paints?What to use to clean up natural bristle brushes after using oil/alkyd based paints?And would appreciate information on what these substances are all about.Like I mentioned if you would rather provide a link that gives a good description I would welcome that as well.I have been using Mineral Spirits to clean my brushes and it seems to be working but I save the used stuff and wait till the solids settle and then reuse.But it does not seem to be settling like paint thinner
#1 Turpentine
#2 Paint Thinner
#3 Solvent
#4 Mineral Spirits

Many Thanks
scarrylarry
scarrylarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #2

Solvents

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarrylarry View Post
Painting gurus,I need help here.this subject has always confused me as when to use what.I realize this is probably a lengthly topic so if you don't want to respond because of the length of typing i will understand.If this is the case could you provide a link for me.I would like to know what are the following and where and when to use them.What to use to thin oil/alkyd based paints?What to use to clean up natural bristle brushes after using oil/alkyd based paints?And would appreciate information on what these substances are all about.Like I mentioned if you would rather provide a link that gives a good description I would welcome that as well.I have been using Mineral Spirits to clean my brushes and it seems to be working but I save the used stuff and wait till the solids settle and then reuse.But it does not seem to be settling like paint thinner
#1 Turpentine
#2 Paint Thinner
#3 Solvent
#4 Mineral Spirits

Many Thanks
scarrylarry
Paint thinner and mineral spirits is usually the same thing. Turpentine isn't used much lately.

For brush cleaning I start with mineral spirits but the final rinse is laquer thinner. It help to get out the last bit of residue that can make natural brushes stiff. You can also rub in a couple drops of mineral oil.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #3

Solvents

Mineral Spirits------ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_spirits
A slower drying agent. Most recommended for oil based paints.

Turpentine-----------http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpentine
More of a artisan type material.

Solvents------------http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvent
Quick drying agent. MEK ( Methyl Ethyl Keytone ), Acetone, Methylene, Tolulene, etc. These are more for a industrial/Commercial use

Glad to read your reusing your spirits..................

Personally I clean my Purdy natural bristle brushes with nothing but Mineral spirits. Even when they are new before I use them I will dip them in a bit of Mineral spirits and get it down to the ferrule. Keeping paint from building up in there. The Naptha is oil like and keeps my brushes in great shape.

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #4

Solvents

hennyh and Mark
Thanks to both of you for your replies with the information! I like to have information that helps with doing things the RIGHT WAY instead of fumbling along mis informed
scarrylarry
scarrylarry is offline   Reply With Quote