Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Solutions (of paint etc) to waterproof indoor plants area

Dear all, how are you doing?

In our formal dining room there is a old style indoor plant area which we recently found that there seems to have some water damage and the whole area is just rusty like hell. Here are some photos:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/dsc0615ck.jpg/

http://postimage.org/image/t23cne7xd/

Basically, inside of the wooden base, it has a layer (almost like a huge bucket) that is made of metal (cast iron or something). To prevent the water leak to the wooden cabinet, I'm thinking of just seal (by caulking) the edges of the metal bucket and and wood frame, then use some sort of waterproof paint to just cover the rust up... Would this work? What would be the best solution to deal with the current mess? Thoughts or comments? Many thanks!

ohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #2

Never going to work doing it that way.
Even that whole idea of an inside planter has flaws, I can see where the plants roots would drown with no drainage.

If I just had to do this job I'd get rid of the steel liners and have some copper ones made up.

When I make up outside window planters I go to Wal-Mart, Home Depot or Lowes and buy plastic window boxes, Then make up the outside frames out of Cedar with no bottoms. That way there's no way water can rot out the bottom. By using the plastic planters they can just be lifted out for cleaning or new plants outside so there's no mess.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohman View Post
Dear all, how are you doing?

In our formal dining room there is a old style indoor plant area which we recently found that there seems to have some water damage and the whole area is just rusty like hell. Here are some photos:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/dsc0615ck.jpg/

http://postimage.org/image/t23cne7xd/

Basically, inside of the wooden base, it has a layer (almost like a huge bucket) that is made of metal (cast iron or something). To prevent the water leak to the wooden cabinet, I'm thinking of just seal (by caulking) the edges of the metal bucket and and wood frame, then use some sort of waterproof paint to just cover the rust up... Would this work? What would be the best solution to deal with the current mess? Thoughts or comments? Many thanks!

I assume you want to save what you have,you can give this a try,i've heard nothing but good things about it,a little pricey but cheaper than trying to replace what you have.

http://www.por15.com/whatispor15.asp
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #4

I can't answer you in the rust as 90% rule is PREP, PREP, PREP.

Laticrete Hydroban
Mapei Aquadefense.

Used in the tile industry to waterproof substrates.
Good stuff.

Out here in Gotham City, we have big huge metal planters that hold trees. I've spied workers using Hydroban to seal the interior prior to filling it up , FWIW
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #5

Look at Ames blue max. Lots of prep involved there but I think the blue max would ultimately hold up well.
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #6

With the current condition shown in the pictures, would I be better off to replace the iron cast bucket with stainless steel ones, or maybe simply remove the metal bucket thing and paint it with best waterproof paint that I can find? Thoughts or comments? Thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #7

If the rust has eaten through the existing steel, than I would replace. If it is only surface rust, I would use a rust converter and then apply your waterproofing product.
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Bill Kearney

Call around for prices on having some copper inserts made. Nothing you do to the existing rusted material is going to work. Nor would just painting the inside, that'd be worse than the rusty buckets in there already.

Or ask yourself if having a plant setup like that is really all that great an idea? It might look a whole lot nicer with a new counter top made for it. Any kitchen or stone place could fabricate a great looking solution.
wkearney99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #9

wkearney99, thanks for the reply. Yes I agree that with the current condition I might be better off to replace it instead of prep and painting it. I live in San Francisco Bay Area, do you know usually what type of store I should call to get that type of copper inserts that you were talking about? Also for the new copper inserts, would I need to paint it or do something about it to prevent it to rust in the near future? I'm open to ideas, and I agree that having granite counter-top over there can be a good idea. But it would require custom-size to make it fit, which can be pricy.. any other ideas or suggestions? Many thanks!!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
Bill Kearney

Copper needs no paint. It gains a greenish patina to it over time. It doesn't rust. Why anyone put anything other than copper in there is anyone's guess. Bad plan using ferrous metal. Don't know who would be a good supplier, I'm on the east coast. But I'd imagine any roofing company that specializes in copper would be able to either do the work or point you to someone that could.

New inserts or a counter will likely be close in price. Me, I'd get rid of the inserts. It might even be worth considering whether that piece of furniture is even worth keeping there. Rip it out, clean up the area and you open up a lot of better choices for decorating.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #11

Thanks for everyone's help. After discuss with my wife I think she want to keep it the way it was much as possible (that is, to have some real plants there). I think I have to respect her preferences, but I'm just a bit concerned that if we don't do anything with these rusty inserts, there might be some health concern or would affect the air quality, etc. (usually we would have the furnace on year-round and the hot air might be blowing on those rusty inserts, etc.). Does anyone has any comments or thoughts about this? Would keeping this type of rusty metal indoor create any health concern? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
Bill Kearney

Rust is not going to be a health issue. Please, don't get hysterical over things. Even if they were lead-lined you wouldn't be having a health issue unless you were eating anything grown in there (and no, rusty metal wouldn't have the same problem). Now, if they leak and water drips down into the wood then you could have mold develop. That would be a health concern. But then so would putting in plants that kicked off allergens.

Have you called a local gutter company to ask about an estimate for replacing the inserts? Pick up the phone....
Old 07-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #13

wkearney99, thanks so much for taking time to reply. I really appreciate that.

My mother-in-law (this is her house) had another idea. She was thinking that maybe we can put up (on top of the rusty metal insert) a thin layer of concrete just to kind of "seal" the rust and then on top of the thin layer of concrete, we can then put another layer of plastic membrane to help water proof, then finally put the plants back to the original location. Is this a good idea? I think she really want to keep this place the way it was before - to continue to have lots of plants and stuff. Thoughts or comments? Thanks!