Solid Color Stained Decking - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

solid color stained decking

I have a solid color stained deck and is terrible to clean. The grandchildren track mud on it and it cannot be scrubbed off. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

maurievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurievan View Post
I have a solid color stained deck and is terrible to clean. The grandchildren track mud on it and it cannot be scrubbed off. Any suggestions?
You may need to use a dedicated deck cleaning liquid product. Go to your local Ace Hardware, TruValue, Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart or paint store and ask for deck cleaner. After making your purchase CAREFULLY READ AND FOLLOW ALL SAFETY AND USE INSTUCTIONS ON THE SPECIFIC DECK CLEANER YOU PURCHASED. Generally, many deck cleaners come in bottles ready to connect to you garden hose. Some of the dispensers have spray settings for OFF, WATER and CLEANER. If the mud is dry sweep off as best as possible. If the mud is wet rinse it off with plain water as much as possible then switch to the deck cleaner (NOTE: if the surface is especially muddy you may have to use a broom or mop to clean the surface WHILE the deck cleaner is on the deck to get it mud free) then switch to water for the final rince. Like I said be sure to follow the products directions.

Good luck.

Advertisement

Last edited by sore thumb; 05-01-2013 at 08:07 PM.
sore thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Most solid stains are not recommended for horizontal deck surfaces. I used to stay away from those that were because I felt they just left too much exposed pigment and resin on a deck baking in the sun. Porch and floor paints do not hold up well on an uncovered deck because they do not flex with the deck and usually do not have the UV filters deck stains do. It would be nice if they did work because they come with urethane, epoxy and silicone reinforcement.

Not much you can do but ride this out and clean with special products as mentioned. You probably would not gain much by stripping the solid stain out of your way and climbing down the stain ladder to a semi-solid or semi-transparent stain.

I have mentioned on other posts (search for some recent for images I found) that there are some really, really nice outdoor area rug or even edge-to-edge external carpet options out there these days. Even places like Target have some with patio furniture. You can, depending of course on what you can pay, get carpet and rugs in just about any color, pattern, size or texture you can imagine just like for the interior of your home. Difference is you just hose it off or hit it with the power washer on low, I guess. Perhaps some version of one is in your future and the path of least resistance in this? I don't think the ones at Target are outrageous or any more than a couple gallons of stain or cleaner? I honestly do not know. There are countless online sources, of course, that will ship you whatever you want.

We don't think twice about rugs to protect interior wood floors and my leases more or less demand tenants provide protection for hardwood or bamboo flooring unless they can promise they and their pets or future famous members of our societies will have socks on at all times. Why not get on with it for decks now that rug and carpet do not look like tacky put put miniature golf turf or something?

Last edited by user1007; 05-03-2013 at 06:27 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Most solid stains are not recommended for horizontal deck surfaces. I used to stay away from those that were because I felt they just left too much exposed pigment and resin on a deck baking in the sun. Porch and floor paints do not hold up well on an uncovered deck because they do not flex with the deck and usually do not have the UV filters deck stains do. It would be nice if they did work because they come with urethane, epoxy and silicone reinforcement.

Not much you can do but ride this out and clean with special products as mentioned. You probably would not gain much by stripping the solid stain out of your way and climbing down the stain ladder to a semi-solid or semi-transparent stain.

I have mentioned on other posts (search for some recent for images I found) that there are some really, really nice outdoor area rug or even edge-to-edge external carpet options out there these days. Even places like Target have some with patio furniture. You can, depending of course on what you can pay, get carpet and rugs in just about any color, pattern, size or texture you can imagine just like for the interior of your home. Difference is you just hose it off or hit it with the power washer on low, I guess. Perhaps some version of one is in your future and the path of least resistance in this? I don't think the ones at Target are outrageous or any more than a couple gallons of stain or cleaner? I honestly do not know. There are countless online sources, of course, that will ship you whatever you want.

We don't think twice about rugs to protect interior wood floors and my leases more or less demand tenants provide protection for hardwood or bamboo flooring unless they can promise they and their pets or future famous members of our societies will have socks on at all times. Why not get on with it for decks now that rug and carpet do not look like tacky put put miniature golf turf or something?
Currently, our decks upper structure is cedar (new extra bracing is PTP) with what's left of a solid stain finish. The deck and substructure is PTP painted with deck/porch paint. The entire structure is to be refinished using the same very soon. We just want it to look good for until it is replaced next summer, The PTP walkways and small pond side deck will be repainted with deck/porch paint as in the past. Never thought about using solid stain on the decks/walkways because I thought the solid stain would not hold up.

Thanks for the great advice.

Last edited by sore thumb; 05-03-2013 at 09:21 AM.
sore thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Solid stain, even if the manufacturer says it will, will not hold up on a deck surface from my experience. You will be attending to its refreshment every year or so.

Porch and floor paint will hold up to a point but you are experiencing the shortfalls of using it on an exposed, uncovered deck. It will require attention every year or so.

If I had to pick one of the two doomed to needing annual or semi-annual attention? The solid stain will probably have more UV protection built into it? A quality porch and floor paint will have urethane or epoxy reinforcement in it a solid stain will not. Flip a coin?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (05-03-2013)