Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Solid Acrylic over Semi Transparent oil? 3 yr old. deck cleaned prepped HELP

We have a newly built home, but the home was sitting for 3 years. The deck
is treated lumber but splintery and kind of bad. We cleaned and used brightener as recommended. We put Sikkens Semi Transparent Honey Brown on the deck today. It looks like a DARK Reddish/Brown and some of the wood has cracked open, not split or worped, but it opened up. The contractor says to put White Solid on it to cover the Dark and to have better protection since we have to repair some of the wood the Sikkens just soaked in! Problem is, Semi Transparent is Oil Base, the Solids are Acrylic. Is this okay to put on??? Please HELP! Or should we apply a lighter color on deck floor of the semi-transparent and just do rails white SOLID? Also I can find the Oil Base if best, just need to know!! I'm sick to my stomach. Sikkens is not a TRUE color...BEWARE....it's worth the money to check your colors before applying! This semi transparent looks SOLID to me! The colors are wayyyy way off. Thanks for any suggestions/help!

sikkened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Semi-transparents will always look different than they do on the chart. It depends on how the wood takes it and lends it's own color. The mixed ST SRD is more opaque than the factory mixed colors as well. If you clean the deck correctly you can apply the acrylic directly over the oil SRD. The acrylic is a hybrid acrylic/oil meant to bond over the other products. A lighter ST will not cover the darker color well. Solid will. I wouldn't use white on the floor though. Use a color.

Last edited by poppameth; 07-11-2012 at 05:54 AM.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to poppameth For This Useful Post:
user1007 (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Indeed, any semi-transparent or semi-solid stain, interior or exterior, is going to look different depending on the wood it is applied to, its condition, what was on or in the grain previously, and its ability to absorb the new stain. Colorants and chemicals in pressure and other treatments can also wack things. Stain color charts are always for reference only and when in doubt it is good to try what you think will work on a small test area.

Once the semi-transparent stain has soaked in and the solvents evaporated, you should be able to put a solid acrylic stain like Sherwin Williams Woodscapes, MAB Timber Stain or something like Benjamin Moore's product over it. I am not a fan of solid stains or paint on exposed horizontal deck surfaces but if you maintain them I guess it can work out. Sometimes there is no viable option.

As for the wood splitting and fragmenting when a stain is applied? That sounds awfully extreme and rather weird to me. It sounds like your wood is awfully dry, rotted or something. I would address at least selective decking material and fastener repairs and replacements before applying more finish.

Last edited by user1007; 07-10-2012 at 09:09 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #4

Today we are filling in the grains that opened up, cracked and peeling in places. I believe it was over applied by the contractor! SMH So, I agree with no white on bottom, I will pick up some solid in a different color and we've decided to replace a board at a time with the composite...just again, don't know what kind is best as there are different types of composite. In the meantime, filling in cracks so we can apply the solid stain. The contractor wants to come back tomorrow and with it only being yesterday morning when he applied the semi stain, is this enough time to apply solid over the semi transparent?? Thank you both again for your help!
sikkened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Newbie Bill

Can you post some pictures of the problems you are having? Especially the cracks you are filling?

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikkened View Post
The contractor wants to come back tomorrow and with it only being yesterday morning when he applied the semi stain, is this enough time to apply solid over the semi transparent?? Thank you both again for your help!
I would look at the labels for both products. And if you still have doubts or questions, call the product customer support number and ask away! They are usually helpful.

What are you filling cracks with? This problem still concerns me. Hope your contractor is not bandaiding something. Expanding cracks in a deck call for some sort of epoxy fillers like those from Abatron. And then, only if the wood is really worth saving.

Last edited by user1007; 07-10-2012 at 10:08 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote