Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
SPB

Share |

Soft walls

I had hired out someone to do my skim coat and put on prmer and also 2 coats of paint. Now what I am finding is the wall is extremely soft yet. When I put up a few pictures and the edge of the picture glaces the wall it chips off the paint and goes all the way down to the skim coat. I am just wondering if this could be because the guy didn't clean off the dust before putting on the primer. He used Pro mar 200 primer from sherwin williams. What can I do to make the walls harder? Could I put a oil based primer over the wall and then put one more coat over the top?

SPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Soft walls

Latex paints dry to the touch in an hour or so but take 30 days to fully cure. Especially with higher sheens like semi-gloss if that is what went on as your finish coats.

The fact that the guy did not clean the walls before priming is an issue too of course. If there is poor adhesion of the primer because it is only stuck to loose dust and not the wall, you cannot expect the paint on top of it to be too stable.

You did use a quality paint over the Pro Mar right?

I hang art for galleries and dinging up and scraping walls is just part of the deal by the way. Picture frames and things have remarkably sharp edges and a fair amount of weight behind them as you swing them in place. I do a lot of touch-up after exhibitions are hung.

Last edited by user1007; 01-24-2010 at 03:42 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
SPB

Soft walls

yes I used duration over the top. The walls just feel extremely soft and if I take my finger nail I can push into it and create a divit. If I were to put an oil based primer over the top of it would this make it hard again? I had other walls that weren't skim coated that I just put paint over the top and they are hard as a rock.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Soft walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB View Post
yes I used duration over the top. The walls just feel extremely soft and if I take my finger nail I can push into it and create a divit. If I were to put an oil based primer over the top of it would this make it hard again? I had other walls that weren't skim coated that I just put paint over the top and they are hard as a rock.
Again, how long has the paint been on the wall? If it is under 30 days, you have not given it time to cure!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
SPB

Soft walls

yes it has ony been on the walls for about 4 days but we also painted other things in the house with the same paint that wasn't skim coated and that is hard as a rock. Why would all the skim coated stuff be really soft and the other stuff really hard?
Old 01-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Soft walls

Quote:
yes it has ony been on the walls for about 4 days but we also painted other things in the house with the same paint that wasn't skim coated and that is hard as a rock. Why would all the skim coated stuff be really soft and the other stuff really hard?
I don't know. Did you let the skim coat dry thoroughly? Is the paint in question on the inside of an exterior wall? Give it chance.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Soft walls

Your other thread about this has been trashed.

Please don't make duplicate threads across the forums.

if you feel you have posted a thread in the wrong forum. Report it, and ask to have it moved to what you believe would be the correct forum, Thank you.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Soft walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Your other thread about this has been trashed.

Please don't make duplicate threads across the forums.

if you feel you have posted a thread in the wrong forum. Report it, and ask to have it moved to what you believe would be the correct forum, Thank you.
Yeah!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:04 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Soft walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I don't know. Did you let the skim coat dry thoroughly? Is the paint in question on the inside of an exterior wall? Give it chance.

This is the same guy that put 9 gallons of paint on in the same room, he has more than just painting problems IMO
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Soft walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
This is the same guy that put 9 gallons of paint on in the same room, he has more than just painting problems IMO
This time I wrote down the user name. This is the second time you noticed this person and I did not.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
SPB

Soft walls

Thanks for all your help everyone. Everything has turned out good except the skim coat. It has hardened up but saturday was the first day i was able to see it in the naturdal light since it was done because of work. The problem I am having is that I can see what looks like blemishes all over the wall from a angle. After taking a trouble light along the wall I can really see all of the scratch marks from the sanding paper the guy used and this is what I am seeing on the finish which makes it look like blemishes. Is there anything I can do so I don't see these anymore? Can I put on a different primer and then more paint or do I have to skim it again? Sherwin williams pro mar 200 latex primer was used. Thanks

Last edited by SPB; 02-01-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Soft walls

Quote:
The problem I am having is that I can see what looks like blemishes all over the wall from a angle. After taking a trouble light along the wall I can really see all of the scratch marks from the sanding paper the guy used and this is what I am seeing on the finish which makes it look like blemishes.
Is that from his sanding? Or from your sanding of the primer?

Quote:
After he had primed I waited about a week and then sand down all the walls, then started to paint.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #13

Soft walls

You 1st posted on this issue Jan 14th....18 days ago
If the walls are soft then there might be something else wrong
So you added another skim coat 4 days ago ?
What did you use ?

Where are you located ?
What is the Temp in the basement during this ?

Old thread
Really Confused Please Help
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
SPB

Soft walls

I have had the walls skimmed twice. The first was bad due to using a high build primer now the second is bad because I can see blemishes and the walls wee soft but I now understand that skim coat walls will be a little more soft but the blemishes I don't understand. Both guys I have hired havent been the best. If there is no daylight hitting the walls they look great but if daylight hits them then I can see flaws. The last skim coat was on January 21st. Do I just have to put on another very thin coat or is there a primer or something out there that will fix these blemishes?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #15

Soft walls

A skim coat should be smooth when finished
Hire someone competent with the proper lighting that knows what they are doing

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote