Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Angry

So upset with Frog Tape


We just bought a home that was a forclosure, my husband & I went to our local Lowes Dept store & purchased the Frog Tape, supposingly being told it was the #1 tape to be used. Well with all that said when I went to remove the tape as soon as I finished painting our Modeling is STRIPPED! It is totally ruined! I contacted the Frog Tape Co & was told that it could have been from the bond on our modeling not being good when it was made yrs ago! Are you kidding me! It did not state anywere on the package that we should TEST a STRIP on our Modeling! It stated it could be used on ALL surfaces! Well we will NEVER purchase this product again! An if something isn't done to fix our damage WE WILL SEEK LEGAL MATTERS! Modeling isn't cheap & it wasn't my fault what happened! The company needs to take Responsibility for there PRODUCTS! With all this said if you choose to but it, Good luck! :furi ous:

sbruce14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 79
Rewards Points: 75
Default

So upset with Frog Tape


Quote:
Originally Posted by sbruce14
We just bought a home that was a forclosure, my husband & I went to our local Lowes Dept store & purchased the Frog Tape, supposingly being told it was the #1 tape to be used. Well with all that said when I went to remove the tape as soon as I finished painting our Modeling is STRIPPED! It is totally ruined! I contacted the Frog Tape Co & was told that it could have been from the bond on our modeling not being good when it was made yrs ago! Are you kidding me! It did not state anywere on the package that we should TEST a STRIP on our Modeling! It stated it could be used on ALL surfaces! Well we will NEVER purchase this product again! An if something isn't done to fix our damage WE WILL SEEK LEGAL MATTERS! Modeling isn't cheap & it wasn't my fault what happened! The company needs to take Responsibility for there PRODUCTS! With all this said if you choose to but it, Good luck! :furi ous:
I don't mean to sound stupid, but what do you mean by modeling? Do you mean molding? If so, it's very common for molding paint to peel off with the tape if it wasn't painted properly. By this I mean they didn't use primer or painted latex paint over oil. Either way, it wouldn't matter what tape you use, it WILL peel it up. Maybe they should tell you to test a spot, but I don't think you would win in court. Sorry.

Stanchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St.Louis,Mo.
Posts: 212
Rewards Points: 150
Default

So upset with Frog Tape


Quote:
WE WILL SEEK LEGAL MATTERS!
Cool just what everyone needs another warning sticker. It will be just as usefull as the stickers on pools "dont drown" or the warning on a box of bullets "caution can cause injury or death" well suprise.

I think that "test in a small inconspicous area" has been printed on enough stuff over the years that you should've known better.

Chalk it up as a learning experiance......and dont contribute to the sue happy culture. If you do choose legal action I only see you getting tape...lots and lots of free tape
STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STL B. For This Useful Post:
chrisBC (06-30-2011), Evstarr (06-29-2012)
Old 06-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 79
Rewards Points: 75
Default

So upset with Frog Tape


Quote:
Originally Posted by STL B.

Cool just what everyone needs another warning sticker. It will be just as usefull as the stickers on pools "dont drown" or the warning on a box of bullets "caution can cause injury or death" well suprise.

I think that "test in a small inconspicous area" has been printed on enough stuff over the years that you should've known better.

Chalk it up as a learning experiance......and dont contribute to the sue happy culture. If you do choose legal action I only see you getting tape...lots and lots of free tape
Thumbs up.
Stanchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
jschaben
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Kansas
Posts: 588
Rewards Points: 502
Default

So upset with Frog Tape


Quote:
Originally Posted by sbruce14 View Post
We just bought a home that was a forclosure, my husband & I went to our local Lowes Dept store & purchased the Frog Tape, supposingly being told it was the #1 tape to be used. Well with all that said when I went to remove the tape as soon as I finished painting our Modeling is STRIPPED! It is totally ruined! I contacted the Frog Tape Co & was told that it could have been from the bond on our modeling not being good when it was made yrs ago! Are you kidding me! It did not state anywere on the package that we should TEST a STRIP on our Modeling! It stated it could be used on ALL surfaces! Well we will NEVER purchase this product again! An if something isn't done to fix our damage WE WILL SEEK LEGAL MATTERS! Modeling isn't cheap & it wasn't my fault what happened! The company needs to take Responsibility for there PRODUCTS! With all this said if you choose to but it, Good luck! :furi ous:

Translation: I screwed up, somebody gotta get sued.
__________________
John Schaben

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Jack of all - master none
 
hyunelan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SW Suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 1,216
Rewards Points: 518
Default

So upset with Frog Tape


Repaint the molding, problem solved?
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
Evstarr (06-29-2012)
Old 06-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

So upset with Frog Tape


Hire a real painter next time. They knows about stuff.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 291
Rewards Points: 250
Default

So upset with Frog Tape


Try the delicate surface blue tape from 3m. Not a big fan of frog tape. Chalk it up as a learning experience, have a drink, move on.
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 500
Rewards Points: 500
Default

So upset with Frog Tape


Just out of curiousity, how much would you sue for?

The cost of a painter to paint trim around two windows? 20 000 dollars?

good luck with that, next time hire a good painter, they won't have to use tape around trim.

Personally i've never had a problem with any kind of tape taking paint off woodwork, my guess is that the problem is with the paint application on your trim, not the tape itself.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,271
Rewards Points: 2,192
Default

So upset with Frog Tape


Quote:
We just bought a home that was a forclosure, my husband & I went to our local Lowes Dept store & purchased the Frog Tape, supposingly being told it was the #1 tape to be used. Well with all that said when I went to remove the tape as soon as I finished painting our Modeling is STRIPPED! It is totally ruined! I contacted the Frog Tape Co & was told that it could have been from the bond on our modeling not being good when it was made yrs ago! Are you kidding me! It did not state anywere on the package that we should TEST a STRIP on our Modeling! It stated it could be used on ALL surfaces! Well we will NEVER purchase this product again! An if something isn't done to fix our damage WE WILL SEEK LEGAL MATTERS! Modeling isn't cheap & it wasn't my fault what happened! The company needs to take Responsibility for there PRODUCTS! With all this said if you choose to but it, Good luck! :furi ous:
Quote:
Modeling is STRIPPED!
Quote:
It is totally ruined!
Jheeeezh! Another friggin' hot head.

How can a little masking tape ruin wood modeling?

What is it about the modeling that is ruined?

What does ruined mean in this case?

Also...What does modeling mean in this case.

Also...
Isn't this product bashing for no good reason!

"B u s D r i v e r - D e l e t e t h i s t h r e a d"

V-a-r-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-m !
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,942
Rewards Points: 2,150
Default

So upset with Frog Tape


Actually, the frog tape fiasco may have done you a huge favor......now you know that the paint on the molding is not adhering very well. By redoing it you may be saving yourself years of frustration with chipped, peeled, cheap trim paint that wasn't applied properly. I thing FrogTape should be suing you, lol.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW Wisconsin
Posts: 446
Rewards Points: 254
Default

So upset with Frog Tape


I had a similar experience with a certain brand of painters tape. I retained the services of a prominent local attorney and filed suit locally. Rather than send their own attorneys to my admittedly 'far-out' locale, the company decided to settle. I am thrilled with my free roll of painters tape and gift certificate for a gallon of cheap paint. I'm responsible for my attorney's $5000 retainer (non-refundable), but hey, it's all about calling out a bad product that I may or may not have used correctly....
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marqed97 For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (06-30-2011), Evstarr (06-29-2012)
Old 06-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

So upset with Frog Tape


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqed97 View Post
I had a similar experience with a certain brand of painters tape. I retained the services of a prominent local attorney and filed suit locally. Rather than send their own attorneys to my admittedly 'far-out' locale, the company decided to settle. I am thrilled with my free roll of painters tape and gift certificate for a gallon of cheap paint. I'm responsible for my attorney's $5000 retainer (non-refundable), but hey, it's all about calling out a bad product that I may or may not have used correctly....
You forgot to use "modeling" in there. Otherwise, perfect!
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW Wisconsin
Posts: 446
Rewards Points: 254
Default

So upset with Frog Tape


Crud! I knew I missed something!
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #15
Member
 
Workaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Alabama
Posts: 309
Rewards Points: 250
Default

So upset with Frog Tape


The trick with tape is to dry brush it so it seals the edge to stop bleed through, that and to make sure it is firmly attached. Of course there is always the chance it can pull the paint off of what ever you are putting it on depending if the surface was properly prepped and painted.

__________________
Sean
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scotch Edgelock Tape: My afternoon entertainment bokeh Painting 5 06-20-2011 09:17 PM
Tape Showing cougar01 Drywall & Plaster 3 03-09-2011 04:21 PM
Paint problems....or just problems with the painter... deanswife Painting 5 07-30-2010 08:36 AM
Frozen Hot Water Pipes TravisW Plumbing 11 12-10-2009 05:26 PM
Masking and Blue tape ripping off paint LeviDIY Painting 20 10-21-2009 06:56 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.