Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

So upset with Frog Tape

We just bought a home that was a forclosure, my husband & I went to our local Lowes Dept store & purchased the Frog Tape, supposingly being told it was the #1 tape to be used. Well with all that said when I went to remove the tape as soon as I finished painting our Modeling is STRIPPED! It is totally ruined! I contacted the Frog Tape Co & was told that it could have been from the bond on our modeling not being good when it was made yrs ago! Are you kidding me! It did not state anywere on the package that we should TEST a STRIP on our Modeling! It stated it could be used on ALL surfaces! Well we will NEVER purchase this product again! An if something isn't done to fix our damage WE WILL SEEK LEGAL MATTERS! Modeling isn't cheap & it wasn't my fault what happened! The company needs to take Responsibility for there PRODUCTS! With all this said if you choose to but it, Good luck! :furi ous:

sbruce14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

So upset with Frog Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbruce14
We just bought a home that was a forclosure, my husband & I went to our local Lowes Dept store & purchased the Frog Tape, supposingly being told it was the #1 tape to be used. Well with all that said when I went to remove the tape as soon as I finished painting our Modeling is STRIPPED! It is totally ruined! I contacted the Frog Tape Co & was told that it could have been from the bond on our modeling not being good when it was made yrs ago! Are you kidding me! It did not state anywere on the package that we should TEST a STRIP on our Modeling! It stated it could be used on ALL surfaces! Well we will NEVER purchase this product again! An if something isn't done to fix our damage WE WILL SEEK LEGAL MATTERS! Modeling isn't cheap & it wasn't my fault what happened! The company needs to take Responsibility for there PRODUCTS! With all this said if you choose to but it, Good luck! :furi ous:
I don't mean to sound stupid, but what do you mean by modeling? Do you mean molding? If so, it's very common for molding paint to peel off with the tape if it wasn't painted properly. By this I mean they didn't use primer or painted latex paint over oil. Either way, it wouldn't matter what tape you use, it WILL peel it up. Maybe they should tell you to test a spot, but I don't think you would win in court. Sorry.

Stanchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

So upset with Frog Tape

Quote:
WE WILL SEEK LEGAL MATTERS!
Cool just what everyone needs another warning sticker. It will be just as usefull as the stickers on pools "dont drown" or the warning on a box of bullets "caution can cause injury or death" well suprise.

I think that "test in a small inconspicous area" has been printed on enough stuff over the years that you should've known better.

Chalk it up as a learning experiance......and dont contribute to the sue happy culture. If you do choose legal action I only see you getting tape...lots and lots of free tape
STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STL B. For This Useful Post:
chrisBC (06-30-2011), Evstarr (06-29-2012)
Old 06-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

So upset with Frog Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL B.

Cool just what everyone needs another warning sticker. It will be just as usefull as the stickers on pools "dont drown" or the warning on a box of bullets "caution can cause injury or death" well suprise.

I think that "test in a small inconspicous area" has been printed on enough stuff over the years that you should've known better.

Chalk it up as a learning experiance......and dont contribute to the sue happy culture. If you do choose legal action I only see you getting tape...lots and lots of free tape
Thumbs up.
Stanchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

So upset with Frog Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbruce14 View Post

Translation: I screwed up, somebody gotta get sued.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 518

So upset with Frog Tape

Repaint the molding, problem solved?
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
Evstarr (06-29-2012)
Old 06-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

So upset with Frog Tape

Hire a real painter next time. They knows about stuff.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

So upset with Frog Tape

Try the delicate surface blue tape from 3m. Not a big fan of frog tape. Chalk it up as a learning experience, have a drink, move on.
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

So upset with Frog Tape

Just out of curiousity, how much would you sue for?

The cost of a painter to paint trim around two windows? 20 000 dollars?

good luck with that, next time hire a good painter, they won't have to use tape around trim.

Personally i've never had a problem with any kind of tape taking paint off woodwork, my guess is that the problem is with the paint application on your trim, not the tape itself.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,192

So upset with Frog Tape

Quote:
Quote:
Modeling is STRIPPED!
Quote:
It is totally ruined!
Jheeeezh! Another friggin' hot head.

How can a little masking tape ruin wood modeling?

What is it about the modeling that is ruined?

What does ruined mean in this case?

Also...What does modeling mean in this case.

Also...
Isn't this product bashing for no good reason!

"B u s D r i v e r - D e l e t e t h i s t h r e a d"

V-a-r-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-m !
Old 06-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,150

So upset with Frog Tape

Actually, the frog tape fiasco may have done you a huge favor......now you know that the paint on the molding is not adhering very well. By redoing it you may be saving yourself years of frustration with chipped, peeled, cheap trim paint that wasn't applied properly. I thing FrogTape should be suing you, lol.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 254

So upset with Frog Tape

I had a similar experience with a certain brand of painters tape. I retained the services of a prominent local attorney and filed suit locally. Rather than send their own attorneys to my admittedly 'far-out' locale, the company decided to settle. I am thrilled with my free roll of painters tape and gift certificate for a gallon of cheap paint. I'm responsible for my attorney's $5000 retainer (non-refundable), but hey, it's all about calling out a bad product that I may or may not have used correctly....
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marqed97 For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (06-30-2011), Evstarr (06-29-2012)
Old 06-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

So upset with Frog Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqed97 View Post
I had a similar experience with a certain brand of painters tape. I retained the services of a prominent local attorney and filed suit locally. Rather than send their own attorneys to my admittedly 'far-out' locale, the company decided to settle. I am thrilled with my free roll of painters tape and gift certificate for a gallon of cheap paint. I'm responsible for my attorney's $5000 retainer (non-refundable), but hey, it's all about calling out a bad product that I may or may not have used correctly....
You forgot to use "modeling" in there. Otherwise, perfect!
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 254

So upset with Frog Tape

Crud! I knew I missed something!
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 250

So upset with Frog Tape

The trick with tape is to dry brush it so it seals the edge to stop bleed through, that and to make sure it is firmly attached. Of course there is always the chance it can pull the paint off of what ever you are putting it on depending if the surface was properly prepped and painted.