Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #1

Share |

So how do we fix this mess!!! BEHR Stain peeling

We cleaned and preped our cedar deck as recommended. We applied the Behr Premium Semi Transparent stain according to the mfg. instructions. Most of our deck is well shaded. It was no warmer than 70ish the day we applied the stain. It looked good, felt dry after 24 hours. It rained hard about 48 hours after application and now its a peeling mess. My husband is going to flip when he sees this.

Im bringing the remainder of the 5gal. bucket back to HD and demanding a refund but more importantly how do we fix this? Do we have to sand the entire deck and start over?

FMJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #2

Was it oil based or acrylic?

What was the previous surface? (oil, acrylic or bare wood)

What was the prep? If the prep involved washing, what was the moisture content of the wood before staining? Or how much elapsed dry time?

You'll probably need to use a deck stripper and the sooner you do it the better.

As much as I hate Behr, I doubt it was failure of the product.

hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennyh View Post
Was it oil based or acrylic?

What was the previous surface? (oil, acrylic or bare wood)

What was the prep? If the prep involved washing, what was the moisture content of the wood before staining? Or how much elapsed dry time?

You'll probably need to use a deck stripper and the sooner you do it the better.

As much as I hate Behr, I doubt it was failure of the product.
I would reluctantly agree, but it is still one of the absolute worse stain products on the market today.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

I think it probably is a product failure. I've heard several complaints on Behr stain just like yours. I'm not sure if they've changed the formulation or if it's still what it's always been, but all the people who have brought a bucket to me to ask about it have had a silicone/acrylic based product. It's a monster to strip completely clean, and you have to get it clean because the silicone in it prevents other coatings from sticking correctly.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Finisher

I had a Behr rep tell me himself he didn't like their own stains - what does that tell you?

You'll have to strip the deck and redo it with a good product.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #6

Usually when a finish is peeling it has to be stripped. You can either sand it or use a chemical stripper and power washer to remove the failed finish.
ipedeckguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #7

If you have a ben moore store near you look for a product called "remove", as the prevous post stated you could use that chemical with a pressure washer to remove the failed finish. You might also want to look into their Arborcoat deck stain. Good luck..

PS - To the previous poster Ipedeckguide - that was an awesome ipe deck that you posted in that other thread!! Very nice!
mazzonetv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #8

We had a similar problem with Behr Premium Semi-Transparent Deck Stain. I built our deck out of the old pressure-treated pine in 1994. I've only used Behr products. I waited over 3 months, as recommended at the time, to stain the decking. I believe the first product was oil-based. The finish lasted about 5-years. I powerwashed and stripped for each subsequent stain application. Results: 2nd application lasted 3-years, 3rd lasted 2-years...Areas of traffic failed first.

This last time, I used Behr's stripper with two seperate applications, to ensure I got ALL of the finish. The pressure-treated decking looked like new; so, the old finish offered some protection. But, it's color covering was lacking. Weather was around 80 degrees, low humidity, September 2, 2011 in southern New Jersey, wood was dry--all seemed well. I asked two different Home Depot Paint reps about weather, coverage, etc. They both assured me that it was perfect conditions to apply stain.

Confident, I applied first coat with paint pad on broom stick, as recommended to push stain better into wood. Color coverage looked good. I applied 2nd coat about 2-hours after first. It looked good. We had rain about 72-hours after. During storm, top stain layer peeled and splattered.

About 7-days after, during dry conditions, I scraped a test area to re-stain. It covered okay, and seems to be holding up. However, I had to cover whole board to not risk further stain coverage failure. I really didn't like the repair. I'm considering stripping it all off, and trying Cabot oil-based deck stain. Cabot is holding up after 1.5 years on the play fort I built for my grandson, who lives up the street.

Behr just doesn't seem to the quality it used to be about 15 years ago, I think. Even with imperfect prep, the stain still should have performed better, in my opinion. It's not worth the $36. per gallon.
kencasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Very interesting resurrection of a year old thread, "kencasey." What's your other username?
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #10

Hi. A Google search led me here to folks with similar Behr experiences. Just thought I'd add mine.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #11

Quite suspect, aren't we Dr?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #12

You know, in reading this old thread, I think OP applied their stain over too wet a surface. If you apply a latex stain over damp wood, it would seem commonsense that the stain will not cure properly with such moisture underneath, nor would it properly bond to wet wood. The heavy rain will basically power wash the deck, and for it to peel tells me that the stain was not properly dried, nor bonded, and the rain just shredded the floating, non bonded layer of stain to bits. The single largest cause of deck failure is lack of proper prep and not adhering to moisture content levels.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Quite suspect, aren't we Dr?
Yep, pretty suspicious. Actually, it's more of a simple observation. A no-brainer.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #14

Admin can look him up by his ISP address.
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #15

I applied two coats. The first coat seemed properly bonded, and held up. The second coat, applied less than 2 hours (per directions) after, did fail.

Btw, I do believe I'm new here.