Smoothing Out A Textured Ceiling - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

smoothing out a textured ceiling

Hi I had a water leak a year ago and had it fixed, but wasn't able to get the pattern of my ceiling to match. Now I just want to smooth out the ceiling and make it flat so that it can look better. It's a eye sore when you walk into my dinning/living room area .
Please Help ! Missy

Advertisement

missy915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Missy- there is a search this forum box just up a bit.
Put in skimming- you will find much info-
Come back if you haven't found what you're looking for after.

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hey first off ive been a professional painter for 15 years ,the best way to remove the entire texture is to get a spray bottle with hot water and a little dishsoap and in sections saturate and area and then with a stiff putty knife or scraper scrape the texture off.They make a tool that has a bag attachment but if you cover everything with plastic you should be fine its a mess but can be done if u got any questions feel free to pm or email me or comment jwmx6@yahoo.com
jwmx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 694

I agree in most cases it's better to remove it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy915 View Post
Hi I had a water leak a year ago and had it fixed, but wasn't able to get the pattern of my ceiling to match. Now I just want to smooth out the ceiling and make it flat so that it can look better. It's a eye sore when you walk into my dinning/living room area .
Please Help ! Missy
Hi Missy,
When I have to remove the texture of a ceiling and either re-texture or skim it smooth I've found out the best way is just to get a stiff scraper and remove as much texture as possible. Then use drywall knifes, preferably a 12" drywall knife to skim out for a smooth look or you can roll on drywall compound with a 3/4" roller nap and then stamp with a stipple brush.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

What type of texture? Popcorn?

When was your home built? Up to 1978 asbestos was used in the popcorn texture and the asbestos product may have been used as far as 1985. If your home falls into this age you will want to have it tested prior to attempting to removal. The most common method to remove popcorn texture is to take a garden sprayer fill with water and wet the ceiling, then take a 12 drywall blade and scrape it off. After it is off you will want to repair the drywall joints and screw or nail holes as usually they are not completely finished since they knew it would be covered up with texture.

Prime ceiling with an oil primer, and topcoat with a flat ceiling paint.

This is a messy job. I advice you to make sure everything is covered very well and turn off your central HVAC so that you are not contaminating your system and be careful on the ladder as the dropping of wet texture will stick to your feet and can make a ladder slippery. The above advice is for popcorn if you have a different type of texture please mention the type or include a picture.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,304

Really need pictures as some textures are easier to skim/float than others. If it's texture that hangs down (stomped), it will be difficult to do any type of skimming.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic;872681[COLOR=red
]What type of texture? Popcorn?[/COLOR]

When was your home built? Up to 1978 asbestos was used in the popcorn texture and the asbestos product may have been used as far as 1985. If your home falls into this age you will want to have it tested prior to attempting to removal. The most common method to remove popcorn texture is to take a garden sprayer fill with water and wet the ceiling, then take a 12 drywall blade and scrape it off. After it is off you will want to repair the drywall joints and screw or nail holes as usually they are not completely finished since they knew it would be covered up with texture.

Prime ceiling with an oil primer, and topcoat with a flat ceiling paint.

This is a messy job. I advice you to make sure everything is covered very well and turn off your central HVAC so that you are not contaminating your system and be careful on the ladder as the dropping of wet texture will stick to your feet and can make a ladder slippery. The above advice is for popcorn if you have a different type of texture please mention the type or include a picture.

There in lies the answer

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote