Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Smoothing old brush strokes

I have two rooms of MDF crown moulding that has been painted with semi-gloss latex. There are brush strokes,ridges, showing. How can I get rid of these so I can get a smooth coat of paint on the next coat? Thanks, Don

Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
BJ

Rewards Points: 75

If it's bad enough that you're writing DYI about it I have to bet that the lines and ridges are beyond the being able to hide it with a good coat of paint point.

The only way that I can think of to make the job any easier is trying a heat gun to see if it will let you scrape the rough areas smooth enough to cover.

Don't you love having to fix bad work be other people.

When my father was promoted to the VP over engineering fit Illinois bell we moved into a Cape Cod that was pbuild in 1876. A previous owner had painted of on of the nicest (and biggest) granite fire place that you could imagine and it's 8 foot long marble mantel. The guy that built that thing was a true craftsman. Sand blasting that (12 foot cielings) was a major undertaking.

People do strange things. The only thing we could come up with as to why anyone would paint of this fire place was that they thought that the soot that got onto the front of it looked bad. Painting it white would have meant that they just never used it.

BJLower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
I have two rooms of MDF crown moulding that has been painted with semi-gloss latex. There are brush strokes,ridges, showing. How can I get rid of these so I can get a smooth coat of paint on the next coat? Thanks, Don
There is no redeeming wood grain qualities in MDF IMO. But it boils down to Replacing it,a stripper or good old fashion elbow grease and sand paper. Lots and lots of sand paper. I have no quick fixes for you with this. Bummer for you though.
Good Luck to You................

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the replies. Actually the strokes are not really deep. Is there a way or type of paint to cover these? Is it possible to smooth them with a solvent?
Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,036

Sand them. They will smooth out pretty easy.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 502

If the paint proves tough to sand, you might try brushing on a thick stain-blocking primer. While that will leave brush marks of its own, primer is much easier to sand than paint. I use Sherwin Williams PrepRite ProBlock Latex, but just about any stain-blocking primer should do.

SirWired

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote